The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I'm smiling here.  All this exchange about locos.  My memories of steam locos is mainly of photos on cigarette cards stuck in a scrapbook (I was 7), I've probably mentioned them before.  But I never imagined getting even a model one steamed up, let alone having a little idea about its anatomy. Chuffed, I can tell you.  :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Neil.  Hope it's not long before you're passed out.  A Christmas / New Year present?

Ah, roasting chestnuts on the cooker plates with Grandma... Been a long time!

[Edit. Insert:- Chestnuts!] On the edge of the fire grate was our treat.  In the absence of an open fire, mine are now done in the oven - 190oC middle shelf 15mins turn over and another 15mins (in case I forget - as usual - next year.   :jester:  I must remember to use the baking tray not a glass casserole lid!  Roast so much better.)    If you've not tried your own roast chestnuts, go on, have a go.  Plenty of advice and recipes online.   :sungum:

Edited by southern42
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I'm smiling here.  All this exchange about locos.  My memories of steam locos is mainly of photos on cigarette cards stuck in a scrapbook (I was 7), I've probably mentioned them before.  But I never imagined getting even a model one steamed up, let alone having a little idea about its anatomy. Chuffed, I can tell you.  :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Neil.  Hope it's not long before you're passed out.  A Christmas / New Year present?

[Edit. Insert:- Chestnuts!] On the edge of the fire grate was our treat.  In the absence of an open fire, mine are now done in the oven - 190oC middle shelf 15mins turn over and another 15mins (in case I forget - as usual - next year.   :jester:  I must remember to use the baking tray not a glass casserole lid!  Roast so much better.)    If you've not tried your own roast chestnuts, go on, have a go.  Plenty of advice and recipes online.   :sungum:

We didn't do chestnuts but I loved sitting in front of the fire toasting crumpets or just toast on a long toasting fork.  I used to watch all the shapes in the fire that looked like glowing caves.

Jamie

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Lisa - yes, I can never remember which is which either! I must revise from the Bagnall book.  The clever one has an oscillating concentric sleeve driven from an eccentric which provides the lap and lead.  It's complex, Brown Bear (our new build replica) has that version, Sea Lion (and Annie) has the earlier arrangement that you describe.

Polly, no, no opportunity to drive now (other than diesels on the works trains) until Easter when services begin again.  I have been driving on other railways since I was 16 (I'm 56), and traction iengines, steam rollers etc, so it's more a case of learning the 'Groudle way', and the engines, than learning what to do!  Guarding first ensures you 'learn the road' as we have no continuous brakes, every individual vehicle is hand braked (by guards and additional brakemen when required), and we have a 1 in 33 gradient of some length so you quickly learn every hump and bump!

• Like 15

Evening all!  Not a happy bunny.  I had a dental deep clean on the right side of my mouth last Thursday.  And this afternoon, a filling fell out on the left side.  Oh shucks.  Trivial, I know, in comparison to other ERs but still a buggerance.

Meanwhile I've tidied the front garden and, after the light gave out, did some work on my "Freightman" wagons.

Best wishes all, Bill

I agree, they taste just as good without burning your fingers. You don’t lose any into the fire.

Fun factor disappears but with the cost of them this year - particularly expensive over here due to some local Chestnut tree disease...

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

Seem to recall petrol was 4/10 per gallon at that time.  That's about 23p per gallon compared to the £4.50 a gallon today.

10/- kept my Mini going for a week (no commuting).

I filled up here yesterday for $1.78 per (US) gallon.... No wonder they are selling big V8 muscle and sports cars as fast as they make them.

Best, Pete.

Edit: Last winter we had the coldest winter since the 1780’s. Today it just turned 70f and Im listening to people mowing their lawns (I refuse to).

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 8

Yup, from memory it was 2/- per gallon from the local garage on the North Circular Road.  Seem to recall petrol was 4/10 per gallon at that time.  That's about 23p per gallon compared to the £4.50 a gallon today.

Esso made the Blue stuff and Aladdin the pink....

What about Regent Super Green Paraffin?

Our local greengrocer sold it -you took your can and he filled it from a tank behind the shop.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not much of a drinker nowadays, BoD!  After 6 months on the wagon after my surgery, I kind of got out of the habit.  I had two bottles of ale last night, first drink for a few weeks.

And they are still affecting you.

It was DD who commented. ;)

• Like 1

You can find paraffin on sale in those plastic containers which hold a couple of litres or so - and it costs a fortune, far more expensive than petrol or diesel.

This sudden interest in paraffin sales has made me think of a long gone local shop which sold every thing and then some more. There was a sign behind the counter which said, "We have an arrangement with the banks, they don't sell paraffin and we don't cash cheques!"   :sungum:

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 8

Mine was down for ten days in total, and all due to some incompetent contractor putting the wires back wrong in the exchange - no word of apology from my former employer, and so far, no sign of a rental rebate - I hope that you get better treatment than than.....

I got home at 4 this afternoon and found that it was back up and running by 4:30. Now the fight for a bit of compensation as it looks like I've lost a fair bit of work

Remember when some half wit politician said the working classes would store coal in their baths? How did he find out, we tried to keep it quiet.

Stay safe all.

How the blue blazes can you keep coal in a bath that is hanging on a nail in the back yard? :scratchhead:

Edited by Judge Dread

• RMweb Premium

Just booked into the hotel which will be my home for the next two nights. It took me 1hour 40 minutes to get here. Very foggy driving over the top of the M62. I'm glad a chose that as my route instead of the Snake Pass, wouldn't like to drive that in the dark and the fog. Off to the bar now to see what is on offer, I doubt there will be any real ale here!

Edited by BSW01

• RMweb Premium

We didn't do chestnuts but I loved sitting in front of the fire toasting crumpets or just toast on a long toasting fork.  I used to watch all the shapes in the fire that looked like glowing caves.

Jamie

Now you're talking.  Had crumpets yesterday - done in the toaster.  Not the same. :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Lisa - yes, I can never remember which is which either! I must revise from the Bagnall book.  The clever one has an oscillating concentric sleeve driven from an eccentric which provides the lap and lead.  It's complex, Brown Bear (our new build replica) has that version, Sea Lion (and Annie) has the earlier arrangement that you describe.

Polly, no, no opportunity to drive now (other than diesels on the works trains) until Easter when services begin again.  I have been driving on other railways since I was 16 (I'm 56), and traction iengines, steam rollers etc, so it's more a case of learning the 'Groudle way', and the engines, than learning what to do!  Guarding first ensures you 'learn the road' as we have no continuous brakes, every individual vehicle is hand braked (by guards and additional brakemen when required), and we have a 1 in 33 gradient of some length so you quickly learn every hump and bump!

We may be able to get Polly out for the Joys of Life Railway Christmas special next week - but the way the weather is panning out, it is looking less likely.  A mince pie run is hoped for after Christmas on West Shore, but again, the weather.. ?

As to public running, I need to be passed out on both railways.  Joys is a ground level out and back via a balloon loop, and West Shore is a raised "roundy roundy," both governed by National Rules and Regs and insurance requirements.  I love both.  The first is mainly through the trees the other in the open with views out to sea.  Talk about being spoilt.

Either way, I won't be able to be passed til our next season, starting at Easter, or when the weather improves, whichever is soonest. :jester:

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Just spent an hour or so at the bar, had a couple of pints of Guiness (as I thought, not much to choose from) whilst reading the MRJ, only 4 of us in so nice and quiet.

Good night all.

• Like 13

How the blue blazes can you keep coal in a bath that is hanging on a nail in the back yard? :scratchhead:

Yer wrang there Hinnie.

The politiko was using coal int'bath as an argument against giving folks dacent cooncil hoosis.

They'll now tak yer hoos off yer after 5 years .. whativva.

Progress its called !

dh

• Like 5