RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

WOW, that Major Tim Peake is a lucky, lucky bu**er in my book, officially a 'spaceman' now. An awesome thing to watch, and ponder on the amazing science and engineering involved - wish I'd been able to do that!

Catch up later,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Oddly enough. the reserve for Helen Sharman was also an AAC Major, and also by the name of Tim! In this case it was Tim Mace.

I knew him as a captain when he was a Lynx pilot with 3 Regt AAC.

He also used to throw himself out of perfectly serviceable aircraft for fun.

• Like 4

Tuesday morning on Long Island (and most everywhere I'm sure, except for Rick!)

Nothing to report from yesterday, stuck in the basement leaves little time/possibility for "things to happen/see" other than work related whoopsies.

Heavy rain early evening that was enough to be reported on the telly news, all better now,

16 already (that's about 6C/20F above normal for this time of year) and sunny driving in here. That's supposed to be the high for the day though.

Carry on modeling.

• RMweb Gold

How on earth have I accumulated ca30k 'likes' from 360 posts?

It's a measure of the esteem in which your posts are held.

Either that or people just click funny every time they see you.

WOW, that Major Tim Peake is a lucky, lucky bu**er in my book, officially a 'spaceman' now. An awesome thing to watch, and ponder on the amazing science and engineering involved - wish I'd been able to do that!

Catch up later,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Your bio sounds like you routinely went in for far more deadly rides than the Major. You're the lucky bu**er in my book...

...to still be around posting!

dh

Andy, communicative neighbour!; Jamie - suffocation?; Ian - I didn't know you have an Indonesian layout as well?

I had to make a list out for today:

1. dentist, filling managed without an anaesthetic

2. the charity, two letters to type up (*)

3. midday mass, then a meeting with my Area Dean, suggested she took her sabbatical and how to cover her absence (drop in a curate-in-training for two months)

4. break down and store the tables used by the bridge club yesterday.

5. doctor, one receptionist charming and helpful - the other, well you can guess

and

6. parochial church council tonight, so I had better read the papers.

(*) not sure whether I've mentioned this, ever wondered what happens to artificial hips etc after a cremation? The crematorium can't make a profit, so in my borough the money goes to charities involved with bereavement.

Bill

• Like 9

I did that yesterday. Conundrum. Three sheets of ply plus three cuts cost £86 plus a few pence. Only problem was that two weeks ago, the same wood and cuts cost £96 plus pence.

Now I don't know if I was undercharged yesterday or overcharged a couple of weeks ago.

Didn't say anything in case it went up......:-)

Swings and roundabouts...

• RMweb Gold

Ben on site this afternoon. Our trains have been up the creek all day since just after we passed through Purley with delays of 90 minutes etc.

So decided to pick up a Thameslink service from Farringdon which so far appears to be running on time but we shall see what happens once we get back South of the river. Just waiting for my other half to arrive as this is a fairly easy station for her to get to.

Our home CCTV shows a parcel waiting outside in the rain. Can't recall what it is but if it's the one from the US (which would surprise me as would expect some, duty to pay) then the item will be in a

plastic box

Update

7 late after sitting outside Loughborough a Junction and now crawling

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

I went to a timber merchant today instead of one of the DIY 'supermarkets'. My first time.

What a pleasant experience. It involved a walk into the timber yard with my list which a most helpful assistant made up for me in the best way he could, using long lengths of timber or lengths he had already taken cuts from, and so minimising waste. They will cut it to various lengths for me before delivery.

Back to the office and I was only charged for the actual length of timber bought. Makes a huge change from having to buy it in packs of pre-cut lengths. I reckon it worked out at about half the price too and for better quality stuff.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Didn't get very far with sorting out the spare/hobby room. One of the first things I found was a box of offcuts from a wooden ship kit (Billing boats) this arrived with a 3/4 built Cutty Sark kit that I bought several years ago but strangely they are not from that model. It consists of various strips of mahogany, very thin but not a veneer and some other unidentified strips of hardwood, some of the strips are up to a foot long and a couple of inches wide, I think a model timber yard might feature in future. I purchased the Cutty Sark model as it was to 1/75 scale, ideal for 00 scale, Billing Boats produced several models to 1/75 scale but unfortunately they haven't been made for several years.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all!

Three hours for my sister to have the same tests I have at a local clinic in Leeds where it takes 15 minutes. No wonder Peterborough and Stamford NHS trust are in debt. Lovely hospital, nice staff zero organisation.

A1 was not much fun but got home safe and sound. Need coffee and food and all will be well in my little area of conscious ownership.

TTFN

Baz

Just having an early evening cap of Laphroaig to congratulate Tim Peake. The launch this morning was as exciting as those Saturns from the Apollo missions. Has anyone ever been to Cape Canaveral or the Baikonur Cosmodrome to watch a launch live?

Jock, loved Aldous Huxley - yep, I reckon that both Orwell and Huxley got some things right. Soma, f'rinstance, for Huxley, and the surveillance state (cctvs) from Orwell.

Looking forward to the BBC prog at 7pm - have to miss the cherished C4 news (shame)!

Mal

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I went to a timber merchant today instead of one of the DIY 'supermarkets'. My first time.

What a pleasant experience. It involved a walk into the timber yard with my list which a most helpful assistant made up for me in the best way he could, using long lengths of timber or lengths he had already taken cuts from, and so minimising waste. They will cut it to various lengths for me before delivery.

Back to the office and I was only charged for the actual length of timber bought. Makes a huge change from having to buy it in packs of pre-cut lengths. I reckon it worked out at about half the price too and for better quality stuff.

I will only use the DIY stores if I run out of timber and desperately need some on a Sunday or weekday evening.

Eventually made it home about 2.5 hours after leaving site at Covent Garden. Our Thameslink was about 15 late into Redhill and not the normal down platform. Made a dash for the bus but that too was running about 15 late so had to wait there as too wet to walk home. There are people at Redhill who had been waiting an hour there for a train to Tonbridge only to be told there was no driver for the next one. That must have been the train in our normal platform.

Parcel outside turned out to be an online traders catalogue!

Totally agree.  I use Travis Perkins and you can get a Trade Card which gives some pretty good discounts on timber.  The quality of wood is so much better and the guys there bend over backwards to help me out with anything I need.

• Like 2