The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Just back from the Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford for my annual check up.  The car park has always been busy, but a year ago they decided to relay the car park and increase the number of disabled spots from say 20 to 60.  No problem with that at all as less able bodied people must have parking places, but I suspect it is an EU rule about numbers and percentages.  Last time I went, there was an almighty queue for the car park as the number of spaces for able bodied people had reduced by 40.  Of course 40 disabled spaces stood empty whilst tempers frayed, which makes me think it was a ruling from somewhere rather than a demand pattern.

Just to repeat and before anyone takes me to task, I totally support disabled parking spaces and I do get annoyed when I see non qualifiers parking in disabled places.  My frustration is with whomever controls the parking facilities.

I suspect that no one gave a second thought that there may just be a problem if you take away 40 places from an already crowded car park.  

Six months goes by and today is my trip again and I'm dreading a repeat of the car park fiasco from last time.  Arrived at the hospital and said Thank You God as there was no queue for the car park.....

Then the penny dropped.  There was no queue as they had disabled the barriers and everyone had free entry.  A total free for all and a worse situation than last time.  All the disabled spots were taken, hopefully by those who needed them, but I suspect not.  Cars were grid locked, so I gave up and headed for side streets.  Everywhere within a half mile radius was permit holders only.  By now 45 minutes had passed, so I headed back to the car park for one last try.  Nothing, so stopped to dial the clinic to tell them I was going home, when one suddenly became available and I got in with two minutes to spare.

The best part of an hour to park and it could easily have resulted in a totally wasted journey for me and a waste of an appointment for the hospital.

Their website advises people not to take their cars.  Are you kidding, I have to come 50 miles and there is no other choice, but to take my car.  Everyone I spoke to was in the same boat.  

Rant over.

Thank God it's only twice a year....

The problem, Gordon, is that there really are more "disabled" people/drivers. With the obesity epidemic (and I not only include myself in this, I was ahead of the game) and rampant diabetes there is a huge cohort of waddling fatties that really can't walk far. Many of these people use electric buggies; you tell me if they are in the buggy because they are fat, or they are fat because they use a buggy rather than walk. I so much hope that my foot gets better so I can go back to walking more.

They are talking on t'wireless at the moment about policing school lunch boxes. Part of me is appalled by this, but the fact is the kids are eating sh1te and spending all their time in front of screens. Despite the shape I've turned out when I was a kid I was out in the street playing football or cricket every day, and went miles on my bike exploring the area. My kids don't really know their way around Stevenage.

There, that's my rant over. Mods please note that any non-PC content of this post applies to me, so I am entitled to use it Bro'.

Ed

I am delighted to say that there is a green opposite my house, and kids play on it most of the time. My previous neighbour kept telling  them not to.

You have an annual check twice a year?

Edited by edcayton

I'm pleased to say that both my kids keep in shape by eating well and doing things like half marathons and these muddy assault courses. They don't want to end up like me or, to a lesser extent their mum, as crippled obese diabetics with cardiac problems.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon from Estuary-Land. Walked (hobbled?) into town today, had a meal and shopped for a few bits. In W H Smiths I found a new partwork called 'Learn to draw with the Marvel experts', I haven't read the magazine with it but its about drawing the likes of Spiderman. The initial one that is on sale now has a 12" steel ruler, a pencil and a lining pen, all for 99p, its worth that for the ruler alone, it comes from Hatchet of Mk. I coach fame.

• Like 3

Well, having followed Ian (A)'s posts about his non-delivery I'm hoping for better for a recent purchase.

Having bought something on an ebay shop and asked for it to be sent to an address in the Highlands I was delighted to see that it was apparently delivered yesterday.

Well,  that's what the tracker suggests.

In fact what it actually said was:

Courier "Hermes"

Delivery confirmed by courier. 

Well, that's fine then. No need to doubt them. Not for on second.   :no:

As it wasn't possible to offer a POC for the delivery it isn't easy to confirm delivery. On this occasion I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.  

• RMweb Premium

Well, having followed Ian (A)'s posts about his non-delivery I'm hoping for better for a recent purchase.

Having bought something on an ebay shop and asked for it to be sent to an address in the Highlands I was delighted to see that it was apparently delivered yesterday.

Courier "Hermes"

As it wasn't possible to offer a POC for the delivery it isn't easy to confirm delivery. On this occasion I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.  

Had a small issue with Hermes recently where a parcel was dropped off at one of the neighbours in this house but the courier had forgot to leave a notification card where exactly. So, it was ringing most all doorbells to find out…

Although blessed with natural slimness, I am aware of the need to keep active as the years roll on. I the midst of all the crises reported above, I have learned that I will finally get my allotment in April or May, having been on the waiting list since 2013. I have a hatred of exercise for exercise's sake, preferring to have an additional output for my efforts than fitness alone.

I think that the generation born in the inter-war years will be celebrated in the future as those who achieved the peak in longevity.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

28xx - sorry to hear of your mum's illness, and don't forget that there's lots of virtual support here if and when you need it - as many of us have discovered in the past.

Lots of catching up done, and lots of generic greetings to everybody else.  Posts all duly rated.

Odd sort of a day really.  We had a problem with our new bed and contacted the supplier on Monday.  A furniture technician was booked, and he was due to arrive at between 11 and noon, so we decided to have a bit of a lie-in, and the phone rang at about ten to eight with a request for him to come earlier, "in about forty minutes" - mad panic to get up, showered, dressed, and the bed covers removed.  Bed has hopefully been rectified, so we took a trip to Kendal, where I went to buy more coffee (you'll remember that I left the last packet on the counter), and was pleasantly surprised when I mentioned this to the person who served me, and though she didn't offer a refund (I never expected her to, and was just making conversation) she weighed out a bit more coffee than I'd asked for, which I thought was a nice touch. 

Off now as dinner's ready.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Courier "Hermes"

Not trying to upset you but we did have one showing on tracking as Delivered confirmed by courier. The only trouble was we didn't have it. Phoned up promised we would have it next day. Instead we got it the day after as the occupier of the address he had left at was not in the next day.  Mind you we have only had that once.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Although blessed with natural slimness, I am aware of the need to keep active as the years roll on. I the midst of all the crises reported above, I have learned that I will finally get my allotment in April or May, having been on the waiting list since 2013. I have a hatred of exercise for exercise's sake, preferring to have an additional output for my efforts than fitness alone.

I think that the generation born in the inter-war years will be celebrated in the future as those who achieved the peak in longevity.

Do take it easy to start. Digging a whole plot when you are not used to it can easily put your back out. Little and often is better. If the plot is well overgrown (so often plots are only released when it is obviously uncared for) placing an old carpet down until you can get round to that bit will kill off the grass and weeds.

Don

Do take it easy to start. Digging a whole plot when you are not used to it can easily put your back out. Little and often is better. If the plot is well overgrown (so often plots are only released when it is obviously uncared for) placing an old carpet down until you can get round to that bit will kill off the grass and weeds.

Don

Thanks Don. These plots are on former pasture which then had the cabin village for the development of a housing estate on it. Existing tenants have found enough brick chips to make paths between plots. The new phase where I'm going is further over so it may have less rubble, or not.

The plan is to skim off the turf, remove rubble and pile the turf in a winrow along one edge of the plot. Lets see how that works out.

Edited by 28XX
  • Like 10

The problem, Gordon, is that there really are more "disabled" people/drivers. With the obesity epidemic (and I not only include myself in this, I was ahead of the game) and rampant diabetes there is a huge cohort of waddling fatties that really can't walk far. Many of these people use electric buggies; you tell me if they are in the buggy because they are fat, or they are fat because they use a buggy rather than walk. I so much hope that my foot gets better so I can go back to walking more.

They are talking on t'wireless at the moment about policing school lunch boxes. Part of me is appalled by this, but the fact is the kids are eating sh1te and spending all their time in front of screens. Despite the shape I've turned out when I was a kid I was out in the street playing football or cricket every day, and went miles on my bike exploring the area. My kids don't really know their way around Stevenage.

There, that's my rant over. Mods please note that any non-PC content of this post applies to me, so I am entitled to use it Bro'.

Ed

I am delighted to say that there is a green opposite my house, and kids play on it most of the time. My previous neighbour kept telling  them not to.

You have an annual check twice a year?

As I said Ed, I have no problem whatsoever with disabled spaces.  I really tried not to cause any offence and thought I made that plain enough.

My late father had to have a blue badge and my mother needs one at 93.  I count my blessings every day that I am fit and able.  I'd have no problem at all if there were 100 fewer spaces for those less able than myself, if some thought had gone into allocating additional parking for everyone else. I hate to think how many appointments were cancelled and how much stress was evident in those who were late or missed their appointments.

Apologies I missed the word 'bi' from my post.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is an experiment.

Can I finally attach the promised view over Borough Market Junction....?

EDIT - yes - now how do I rotate it?

I have just walked under that lot on our way back form Borough Market pubs.

Got to London Bridge station and not a single train in the Southern side.

Luckily our one left only a few minutes late.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

Evening all. Like others I have seen a strange orange orb in the sky today. Rather strange, especially as there was little water when venturing outside.

It will come as no surprise that I drive a different route to school this morning. I did not want a relationship performance of yesterday, especially when rushing due to falling back to sleep after the alarm! The smell remains from the car, appearing when it gets warm. As it seems to come from the front and exhaust area I am guessing it is caused by some kind of melting bin bag remnant. It has eased a little though.

The new term has brought with it plenty of germ ridden children. Now one of them has shared their germs with me. I thought I had done well to avoid my usual pre-Christmas cold bug. It appears to have arrived slightly later. I am supposed to be at dentists for a check up tomorrow. This is an appointment I have cancelled three times due to a combination of staff meetings and ill health. I really don't want to have to cancel again.

• RMweb Gold

Talking of driving, one of our directors got a stone in one of the brake discs in his 4 x 4 BMW this morning whilst driving through roadworks. He's now going to try to claim off the council for the cost of replacing the brake disc. The other director said he is the reason why we all pay more for insurance and council tax.

I didn't join in the argument!

Edited by roundhouse

I pre-ordered an Atlas locomotive in May. The Atlas production schedule showed (and still shows) delivery in 4th quarter 2015, but the container isn't even shown as shipped yet. Meanwhile, the Canadian dollar has gone down ... and down ... against the US dollar. I'm wondering just how much it's going to cost me when it finally turns up.

I pre-ordered an Atlas locomotive in May. The Atlas production schedule showed (and still shows) delivery in 4th quarter 2015, but the container isn't even shown as shipped yet. Meanwhile, the Canadian dollar has gone down ... and down ... against the US dollar. I'm wondering just how much it's going to cost me when it finally turns up.

Hmm, my sympathies, but I wish you hadn't said that! :O

It got me to thinking about my Bude and Okehampton.

Hornby extracted the money from my credit card on Dec. 18th, and looking at the conversion at the time on the credit card transaction, and NOW, if they billed me today, it'd be $15US LESS than it was back then. Wonder what they'll say if I let them know that little tidbit, I basically paid 5% TOO MUCH! Think they'll refund me the money? :jester: cockwombles :(

Edited by Ian Abel

Inkscape, QCAD, Librecad... All quirky but all do the job (for most things).

Evening All

Evening all.

Librecad sounds good as part of the Libreoffice suite! Planning to use it for diagrams for my Club Layout in near future. If only there was also Librerail instead of winrail or anyrail for track design.

Wider note, no call from surgery so yesterday's visit to the vampire has not (yet) proven life threatening! (For one of the tests, the vampire did suggest it might take a week, though :) )

Ah, time for kestrel.

Gordon (S) never being able to resist a challenge I decided to have look at travelling from your local station to the John Radcliffe Hopsital by public transport  (and yes, I realise the station car park would also be full so not necessarily the cleverest idea in the world).  Much to my surprise the train journey - ok it involves a change - came in at only around 50-55 minutes, far better than expected while there are frequent 'buses from the station at Oxford with a journey time to the hospital estimated at 25 minutes.  It probably will be quicker by car end-to-end but with the time cost of finding a parking space the overall time might not be much different although public transport would obviously cost more than teh perceived marginal cost of using the car.

28XX - deepest sympathy; it's a really horrible way to watch someone go and it took my dad quite a time although we did try to moisten his lips during our fairly frequent hospital visits.

Thanks for that Mike.  I hadn't considered the train, but there are some issues to consider.

Out at 10.03 would get me into Oxford at 10.47 and return at 14.31 got me back at 15.12.  Mmmn, not bad.

£44 return for two of us.  £7.50 car park.  No idea about buses as I haven't been on a bus since I left school in 1964 and I don't have a bus pass as I've never needed one.  Just looked it up and it's £7 return for both of us.

£58.50 for the two of us.

100 mile round trip.  24 to the gallon, so just over 4 gallons of fuel.  £4.95 per gallon, so £20.60 by car plus parking at £4.20. Call it £26.  I know you normally factor in insurance, road tax, depreciation etc, but to me those costs are there whether my car is sat in the drive or I'm using it.

£26 v £59....

Might make sense if I went on my own.  £26 v £24.50.....

I'll leave you to tell my wife...:-)

I'm not dismissing it, far from it, as I was surprised by the journey times etc.

A very pleasant 3 hours was spent with Leah this evening, sitting at her house. Plenty of constructive play, a leisurely bath and not a cross word. An ideal antidote to the gothic horror of mother's care home.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Evening.  Got that bit out of my eye now, thanks folks.  I will miss Bill.  He was well known in traction engine circles too, his funeral will be busy.  He rebuilt a Wallis & Steevens that was rescued from the mountain here, I think there was about one wheel and the regulator handle left when he got it.....remarkable job.

Drove through snow on the way home, up on the mountain road (but not as high up as where that Wallis came from!).  No doubt there will be several cars upside down by now, it's a local sport. 'Manx Parking'.  Probably also means it will be closed in the morning, meaning a 30 minute longer dawdle around the coast route - which also gets a fair bit of snow as it goes up to about 500 feet. #I hate winter#

On a brighter note, a certain Class 24 is arriving tomorrow, which will be the most expensive 4mm scale loco I have ever bought.  It had better look and sound as good as the hype. http://sulzertype2.co.uk/page.php?p=home  Is this the first one in ER's? 

Always so sad when a close / long time friend passes away.