The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Polly, sorry to hear about your mum, my thoughts are with you at this time...

BIN/St. Patricks day, oddly enough maybe they rightfully share the day. Plenty of folks over here at least will be looking for BINs later this afternoon/evening. For some reason in the US it seems to be one of the biggest excuses to get shi@tfaced all year!

Took the BIN out at some ungodly o'crack-sparrow-fart hour (5:45) then Jemma off to the airport. By now she's almost at Newark on the first of three legs for the day. I however am still struggling with the morning emails for work, before actually embarking on real toiling.

One hour from now I'm joining the crazy masses as I attempt to score 4 tickets for Sir Paul, who announced yesterday a May 4th. concert here - not sure how lucky I'll be <sigh>

Oven "man" is due any minute to look at/fix the oven too, so a busy day. Ears getting lowered by the Mrs this evening to cap it all!

Hope BIN and St Patricks goes well for everyone - don't drink too much green beer, I mean really, who WOULD, unless you're under 25 I guess :O  :jester:

• Like 15

Afternoon all,

A productive morning with a new mobility aid installed to help mum among my list of chores.

I've been surprised recently by how early children start preparing for their GCSEs (or O levels, as I like to call them).

Year 7 - barely 6 months out of primary school has seen my eldest face a week long barrage of testing. 

I've mixed views over this. On the one hand it might be construed as yet another means for measure and tick boxes. But on the other, as I explained to a rather stressed 12-year old, it is handy for the teachers to find out what you don't know, as much as what you do know. 

i was then consulted about preparation for physics exams and spent a happy hour explaining about friction and forces I even threw in some experiments, including bicycling down hill as fast as we could, thinking about air resistance and drag, and watching braking forces appear as heat. We then looked at bubbles in a fish tank and noticed how different bubble diameters seemed to have different amounts of drag and equated this to how parachutes work.

End result, one fired up 12 year old ready for testing.

But thinking back to my own secondary education there were some great teachers and some that shouldn't have been. One in the latter category prepared us for our O level by getting the class to read the text book out loud while he did his marking. Somehow, more through my interest in the subject, than his teaching I progressed to A level. Again, it was a case of reading the textbook and listening to long lectures about his experiences in WWII in Burma, the cost of music lessons for his daughter, his favourite jazz music.... And somehow, having elected to do evening classes in the subject as a top up, I managed to get in to a degree course in the subject. When I ended up teaching postgrad medics I tried to make the lectures a bit more engaging!  

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the reminder. It is Thursday, which is the day I have designated as take vitamin D day (20000 iu) as it would appear the sun isn't enough for my body.

Couldn't you move somewhere closer?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Polly, very sorry to hear about your mum and - as others have said - grab those memories and keep them safe in the years to come.

The funeral was well attended - the chapel at the crematorium was almost 100% full and it was a good service with a hymn that reflected his past involvement in The Boy's Brigade plus lots of strong hints that he was a lifelong Chelsea FC supporter.   Seven of us former colleagues turned out and it was something to reflect on that out of the seven I'm the youngest - at 68; my immediate predecessor in  a job in that office is now 83 but looking a lot younger.

We missed out on the cuppa and buns as herself had targetted a certain garden centre en-route home and that saved me the perils of The Magic Roundabout in Swindon plus continued reason to steer clear of the M4 so it was back, cross-country once again, to the Root One garden centre at Wallingford where we also partook of an early lunch and, in my case, some superb bubble & squeak (sorry no pics but it was just like the real homemade thing).  But in the end no plants purchased although a couple of hanging basket liners were.

Both somewhat tired now and herself has retired to bed.  Have a good day.

• Like 17

It wouldn't be St Patrick's day without a parade through the streets of Killybegs. However, this year was unusual in that the sun was shining!

Who else to lead the parade but St Patrick himself, with the loan of a boat from the Coast Guards.

post-7952-0-49508700-1458228051_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, the catch still needed unloading.

post-7952-0-54232100-1458228069_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Afternoon all. Hope everyone is well and if not, speedy recovery.

I've woken up feeling full of another horrid head cold so planned trip in to the city centre to get supplies for Sunday's trip to Ally Pally didn't happen.Oh well, always tomorrow. Natalie's also feeling ill too, but as I've had some new books arrive the last few days she is happily engrossed in those (southern/southern electrics related naturally).

thanks for the support - yes schools are very variable  some welcome her with open arms (and all want her to be at the "School Concert" just in case..My teachers were all of an age who had been to war (in some shape or form) and most of them got us to enjoy the subject taught  (probably why I love Mathematics).

baz

The theory of Music, Harmony (the relationship of “notes” to each other) is a branch of Mathematics. How you use all that theory is the creative part.

But then you already know that, i.e. I’m preaching to the converted.

By the way (and on another subject) I used the phrase: “the wheels of Justice do grind exceedingly slow...”. I thought that this was a quotation - can I find the source? I cannot.

If anyone knows please let me know (I did think it was Charles Dickens but it is probably much older.)..

Cheers, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 3

The theory of Music, Harmony (the relationship of “notes” to each other) is a branch of Mathematics. How you use all that theory is the creative part.

But then you already know that, i.e. I’m preaching to the converted.

By the way (and on another subject) I used the phrase: “the wheels of Justice do grind exceedingly slow...”. I thought that this was a quotation - can I find the source? I cannot.

If anyone knows please let me know (I did think it was Charles Dickens but it is probably much older.)..

Cheers, Pete.

Pete the actual phrase is "Wheels of justice grind slow but grind fine" from Sun Tzu.

• Like 1

Well, managed 4 tickets to see Sir Paul on May 5th - YAY!

Of course, I may need to have my hearing tested after that, if I can hear at all, as we're going to The Who on May 1st.!  :O  :jester:

Shouldn't they be just the W- these days?

In other news SWMBO managed to score priority seats to see Jean-Michel Jarre in Oct. Result.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Well, managed 4 tickets to see Sir Paul on May 5th - YAY!

Of course, I may need to have my hearing tested after that, if I can hear at all, as we're going to The Who on May 1st.!  :O  :jester:

Last time I saw Sir Paul sing live (admittedly on television) having a hearing problem may have been an advantage.
  • Like 3

Yes - and I initially added a comment to the picture to that effect - then removed it  as I didn't want to get moderated for a polly ticking comment! - The world is, without doubt, going MAD!  BUTT I'll leave you with another, that you can't "un-see"!

post-6688-0-14435700-1458233070.jpg

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

Yes - and I initially added a comment to the picture to that effect - then removed it  as I didn't want to get moderated for a polly ticking comment! - The world is, without doubt, going MAD!  BUTT I'll leave you with another, that you can't "un-see"!

attachicon.gif2016-03-17_164314.jpg

Cheeky

• RMweb Gold

I am not sure what other Europeans generally stereotype the English as but on his return to Utrecht the Dutch students said Matthew must be the first English person ever to go to Spain for a week and not get sunburned.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7

It's OK, I went for the take the tablets option. Lounging around somewhere sunny in shorts and T shirt isn't my idea of fun.

I get enough Sunshine cutting the grass - another Vit D user on Doctor’s orders.

Best, Pete.

Afternoon all,

It would appear that today luck was on our side, and the planned timings interlocked well! Joanna drove well and kept me comfortable, and above all, I'm back on the chemo for another fortnight which is what I wanted to hear as I left for the hospital this morning. As a bonus, the chemo comes as a single pill instead of the three that I have been taking! A few other issues were resolved and now I've just got to hope that the remaining kidney keeps working.

Flavio, I do rather like the kitchen equipment you are considering - I've been working for some years on a 'Heritage' gas range which includes two ovens, a grill, a griddle (smooth one side and ridged the other for steak house effects!) and a warming plate. I get reasonable results, but as you well know, the preparation and saucing are everything! As to art, I am like the subject of food there, being rather traditional - read Boring Old F*rt there as I see Rothko alongside piles of bricks, unmade beds, preserved sharks and the like, whereas Turner, Titian and Canaletto tend to be more my style. Music too will tend that way for me by the way, if you examine my views the result would be similar.

Baz,the subject of education is a real can of worms - my sister always wanted to teach from a very early age, ending up as a head of a junior school in Sheffield. Eventually the system ground her down as I'm sure she would have worked on well beyond retirement were it not for the interference from above, preventing her from actual teaching and forcing her to do administration and accounts as well. From school days in Scotland, I recall charismatic teachers whose aim was to impart the knowledge they had themselves learned over many years and the children could only benefit from their enthusiasm. Not political, but I think a logical look at what is wrong with our education system where for many years Scotland was renowned for the quality of educated pupils that flowed on to the market in all walks of life!

I'm very tired now, but I hope to look in again later if I don't doze off. Hope all our ailing members begin to revive, and no more bad news for a while please!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 4