The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I agree with everything said about the young lady, but I would suggest that what she is lacking cannot be taught. . It has to learned, and I agree, a couple of years in a pub band would help. .

I don't know anything about guitars but she may have to wait a few years before being allowed in pubs?
  • Like 2

Afternoon all.

Ian - am glad that Sherry is helping you; depression can be a terrible, lonely thing - Rick's Black Dog.

Flavio - your menu sounds great. I especially like the Open Malt Whisky Bar...

What on earth is wrong with the mother of our grand-daughter? She argues with our son  - or he upsets her, so she calls and abuses Gabe and me. It's been going on for years. She called 4 times on Friday at midnight, then another 4 times an hour later on Saturday morning at 1am. She threatened to have us raided by the police. We unplugged the phone. This morning she woke us at 7.30am and requested a taxi, "accidentally" calling us. I said that she'd got the wrong number. At 8.45am Gabe answered the phone to her and was rewarded with a diatribe "I'm going to f*** up you and your family". She's 29 so Gabe said that she should sort out her problems with our son directly instead of abusing us. Around a dozen years ago she poured a large tin of emulsion paint over our car, then did the same again around 6 months later. Police did nothing, our car insurance increased considerably. What a little sh1t she is.

Anyone got any sensible ideas?

Family meal later - no she isn't invited!

Have a good Sunday

Mal

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Ian - am glad that Sherry is helping you; depression can be a terrible, lonely thing - Rick's Black Dog.

What on earth is wrong with the mother of our grand-daughter? She argues with our son  - or he upsets her, so she calls and abuses Gabe and me. It's been going on for years. She called 4 times on Friday at midnight, then another 4 times an hour later on Saturday morning at 1am. She threatened to have us raided by the police. We unplugged the phone. This morning she woke us at 7.30am and requested a taxi, "accidentally" calling us. I said that she'd got the wrong number. At 8.45am Gabe answered the phone to her and was rewarded with a diatribe "I'm going to f*** up you and your family". She's 29 so Gabe said that she should sort out her problems with our son directly instead of abusing us. Around a dozen years ago she poured a large tin of emulsion paint over our car, then did the same again around 6 months later. Police did nothing, our car insurance increased considerably. What a little sh1t she is.

Have a good Sunday

Mal

No advice really, that I suspect you haven't already tried. However is she still in any kind of relationship with your son? If she isn't acting under the influence of substances I would think she is rather angry about something. Threatening to have the police raid you is such a silly threat, what on earth did she want to achieve by that?

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all.

Have a good Sunday

Mal

Hi Mal, since I retired the law in England has made it a lot easier to get things like restraining orders of some kind but I'm not sure what applies in Scotland.  In the end what you do will obviously depend on what relationship she has with your son and how things might or might not rebound on your granddaughter. Perhaps a half hour free legal advice from a solicitor might be worthwhile,  However please keep a log of all events as that will be good evidence, especially of both you and Gabe can sign it after each entry with dates and times.

Jamie

Ian - You've definitely married the right woman.

Flavio - The menu sounds great but certainly not one that I'd attempt for thirty.

Mal - I really feel for you. I just wish that I could give a sensible suggestion.

• Like 8

I do wonder if I've been suffering from depression. A particular issue - substance not relevant here - has been weighing on me for some weeks, if not months. So engaging with my usual activities, including RMweb to a degree, has been less enjoyable - if I could be bothered at all. This weekend has seen the matter assume gigantic proportions, but, despite the issue having a potentially negative impact on us, rather than just me, finally talking it through with Sherry demonstrated why I married the Right Woman. An hour or so on the phone and I feel a lot more comfy - cleansed even. 

Remember Ian that you have many friends here who will support you as and when.

Having a loving child bride such as Sherry is undoubtedly a real bonus,

Warmest regards,

Dave

• Like 2

Thanks for your thoughts - the relationship is on-off - has been for years. She throws son out; she even threw grand-daughter (13) out for using her make-up a few weeks ago so grand-daughter spent the spring holiday break here. Mother then took a week's holiday in Tenerife during term-time. Never known a parent like it. Anyway, it's like a love-hate relationship between son and her, he always goes back to her against our (possibly better) judgement. She doesn't have work so needs his hard-earned cash. It's a crazy situation an time for her to grow-up and act 30 instead of 14.  Possibly mentally ill in some way.

We did have a restraining order on her after the paint throwing incident but that was for our old address. Thanks for letting me get it off my chest.

On other matters, lovely afternoon here, quite warm and sunny. Hope it is with you

Mal

Finally caught up, whew.

In regards to Mal's difficulties: could it be that the woman in question is suffering from an undiagnosed psychiatric illness? This may explain some of her behaviours (and may actually make things easier in terms of resolving the situation, once diagnosed and treated IF that is the case here).

Interesting guitar player. I have such minimal guitar playing experience (one concert in front of 200 people is the limit of my "world wide tour" gig experience) so I couldn't possibly add anything to Trisonic's comment. However, rummaging around YouTube (actually for a specific AC/DC song tutorial) I came across this young woman, who seems pretty good to my ears.... Your thoughts Pete?

As she plays along with parts of the original (probably using JamKazam or similar) it sounds pretty much like the original. Oh, and another question Pete, is that a Fender modelling guitar she is using? I've never seen one.

This clip compilation shows that (finally) there are some really good young female guitarists out there....

Although the emphasis seems to be on shredding... When I twas a lad there weren't that many female guitarist that went beyond the whole "strum the acoustic" biz (but there again, perhaps I was looking in the wrong places???) Heart, The Bangles, Joan Jett, really can't think of many off the top of my head... Interesting to note how many are using Epiphones

Ian, there are many causes for depression, it may well be in your situation that it is a reactive depression (i.e. an external factor or situation that triggers a depression which resolves once the external factor/situation has been changed/removed). I think most people will have had a greater or lesser degree of reactive depression at one point or another during their lives and it does resolve (been there, done that, got the thorazine [ha ha])

Well time to get to the kitchen, refine some recipes and learn some lines...

Have a good one

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 14

Flavio, Dunno really. I’ve had my fill of “shred” guitarists so far today! Mostly I’m left cold by flurries of notes and no feel. There’s definitely a place for them, though.

I was listening to Michael Casswell previously (Joe Bonamassa/ Brian May and others) and he has such an economy and grace of technique that he was a joy to listen to - and he was only doing a review of a Roland Blues Cube!  12 years younger than me and I can tell the difference between me and him because my knuckles are getting stiff with age and my dexterity is going downhill fast...

Oh, I can put it up here:

I feel very sorry for Mal and Gabe........

Best, Pete.

• Like 10

Afternoon all.

Have a good Sunday

Mal

.....you have my sympathy Mal.

If it helps, we have had similar issues with the girlfriend of our nephew. She came from a troubled background and said that all she wanted was a normal, loving family situation to settle in to.  However, what she wanted and what she was capable of were two different things. Their relationship was rocky from the off and she ended up using the 'well I'll just get pregnant card' to make sure that he didn't dump her. They have since been on/off, 'can't live together/can't live apart' too many times for any of us to remember but she then progressed to physically attacking the nephew whilst he was asleep....blacking his eye one time & gouging his cheek with her nails on another. That was enough for him and he has made it absolutely clear that he won't live with her again. The main problem is that she has to have her way at any cost and never learned to compromise in her troubled early years.

The least worst solution has been for them to live apart and share access to the little boy, however, he prefers to be with his father most of the time.

I can't see any alternative to a similar arrangement in your case but you're going to have to all act as one to make it come about....before your situation deteriorates further.

I would certainly be blocking calls from any telephone numbers which she might use.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

Morning All,

Digestifs: Open Malt Whisky Bar.

Cheers

iD

Now, is that Scottish Malt, Irish Malt or Interlaken Malt?

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Honest appraisal?

It’s not a difficult piece, technically. There are a couple of Gary’s dweedly bits that she handled well.

I didn’t like her tone - sounded like a cheaper Line 6 digital effect on full buzz.

Her wang bar playing was fine as was her bending accuracy.

She should get her head off the fretboard and stand up  to perform.

If she is not in one she should join a band and play the Pub circuit. She’ll be much better in a couple of years.

I’d like to hear her again in 6 months. 

Best, Pete.

But she is only 15 or 16 years old .

Edited by Sidecar Racer

Remember Ian that you have many friends here who will support you as and when.

Having a loving child bride such as Sherry is undoubtedly a real bonus,

Warmest regards,

Dave

Hang on, have I fallen down the rabbit hole again?

Lovely sunny warm day here in sunny Teignmouth, apart from the 45 minutes we sat outside having a dink, the sun was covered by clouds all the time. As soon as we moved the clouds dispersed. What law is that?

• Like 14