The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning one and all

I had a good trip to Tolworth yesterday.  06.24 off Bedford to St Pancras low level, breakfast in the Eat O'Clock cafe in Pentonville Road, Victoria Line to Victoria, Southern to Clapham Junction, first available means to Surbiton in plenty of time for the courtesy bus.  At the show Bill Bishop and I had a very welcome cuppa over which my total ignorance of things LB&SC became apparent.  Homewards the journey was as near as dammit seamless and took less than two and a half hours door to door.  Although the Meridian out of St Pancras high level departed promptly it was a bit sluggish and lost three minutes before Bedford.  I wonder how much sharpening up of operation will be achieved once the full Thameslink service begins.

Today I will be watching War Horse on the TV.  Whether this is before or after my modest lunch of gammon steak is yet to be determined.  In the week ahead I visit Poorly Pal on Tuesday and must remember to ask him if I left my scissors behind last time.  The local chapter of the Royal Corps of Train Spotters has Chris Green as guest speaker that night so we will need to get to the venue in good time, not least because car parking is limited and chaotic [how familiar!].  On Wednesday the paperwork for my Swiss holiday is due to be special-delivered and we have Area Group in the evening.  On Friday I have an appointment with Sister Syringe for my injection.  On Saturday I will attend the Portsmouth show and plan to visit a friend in Weybridge on the way home.  Amid all this I really need to crack on with my seasonal round robin for the time to have it copied and stuffed into C*****mas cards is fast approaching.

Best wishes and warm thoughts to all in distress and recovery

Chris

Edited: I really did not mean to refer to thongs above.  It sets off a whole new train of thought though - just a thong at twilight etc etc

Edited by chrisf
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

'Tis raining with pour and has been for a while. A cold bright day with sunny spells and showers is forecast, drying out this afternoon. By then I'm hoping to get damp on the inside with a pint or three.

Managed to watch 3 rugby matches yesterday and one more to go. England won but disappointing, Wales good but not quite good enough and Ireland were superb.

Things may get tearful at Nicki's later as today is the day that Steve is moving out. All is still very friendly I'm glad to say and they're all helping him move. He'll still be coming to various family and friend's celebrations including my birthday in a couple of weeks and here at Christmas and Nicki & the kids are organising his 50th birthday party in January.   :scratchhead:

Looking forward to visiting the Tolworth show and seeing some of you later.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a slightly chilly village but it's bright and the sun is starting to appear.   Morning orders haven' yet been posted but there will be some as the outlaws are coming for dinner tonight. Considering how poorly they both were a few weeks ago they are doing really well.

I got to the 7mm meet yesterday and was very impressed with the respectful way they observed the 2 minute silence.   Today I need to head off to the cenotaph to set up the sound system for our village ceremony.  Then after lunch I will doing various bits of tidying and housework prior to dinner time.  Hopefully there will be a bit of muddling.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 16

Morning all. I think the quantity of food last night along with some long days finally caught up with me. I obviously dozed off in front of the laptop waking at 01:00 so took myself straight to bed. What an exciting life I lead.

Today is Tolworth so I'll shortly be heading out of the door.

First, another coffee.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 19

Good moaning all from the boring borough. Yesterday was a total do nothing day. Today I shall mostly be cleaning and doing a clear out of the shed. Anyone want a Wickes 254mm 1500W table saw? Seriously. Free to a good home. The massive IKEA corner desk I use as a workbench has to be downsized as well. I've got to make space for eventual additional layout construction as well as temp storage as we finally start renovating the house in the new year.

Coffee calls. Carpet diem.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I seem to have incurred the wrath of the moderators in the small suppliers section.

And me . . . . . . . it's so simple to find out the person who has registered a website name and they haven't made any attempt to keep that a secret. Turns out it's a non UK manufacturer to the west of Neil's Fraggle Rock . . . . 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A quick look in as I will be going out to spend more modelling tokens shortly. Taking my friend and his 9-year-old son with me, the lad doesn't have any grandparents and I'm getting to like the idea of being a surrogate granddad. Luckily the lad is well behaved and polite and no problem. I too am not familiar with LB&SC thongs please tell me more. Heads up for those who want to watch it the film 'Warhorse' is on BBC1 at 2:05 this afternoon.

• Like 12

Good morning all,

'Tis raining with pour and has been for a while. A cold bright day with sunny spells and showers is forecast, drying out this afternoon. By then I'm hoping to get damp on the inside with a pint or three.

Managed to watch 3 rugby matches yesterday and one more to go. England won but disappointing, Wales good but not quite good enough and Ireland were superb.

Things may get tearful at Nicki's later as today is the day that Steve is moving out. All is still very friendly I'm glad to say and they're all helping him move. He'll still be coming to various family and friend's celebrations including my birthday in a couple of weeks and here at Christmas and Nicki & the kids are organising his 50th birthday party in January.   :scratchhead:

Looking forward to visiting the Tolworth show and seeing some of you later.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Would love to see you at Tolworth, Bob, but Remembrance intervenes.

• Like 6

Morning all and bright sunshine follows a tipping it down start.

Monday's evening meal has been prepped - cottage pie. 

Roast chicken with roasters for lunch today.

Heading to the war memorial in an hour. 

Dare I ask if Chrisf's Pentonville-based breakfast was porridge?  :stinker:

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Evening everyone

Well the day started of early, as Evie was up with the sparrows fart and when I looked out of the kitchen window I could see that it was foggy too!

Sparrows fart and make it foggy.

When a hippo pod erupts it is a pea souper in more ways than one!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Pentonville reminds me of trips to Victors Models and then on to the Kings Cross model railway shop.

I don't recall having breakfast round there.

Not a lot planned today. I have to pack stuff for a couple of days away.

As for teaser countdowns, I think they are irritating, I track the originators down and then ignore them. Deleting posts shows that whoever did it doesn't really understand how the internet works. A bit like press injunctions that only apply in England and Wales. I am not a total grumpy, I quite like the Rapido "We are going to scan a train, bus etc" and then getting progress updates. Clues are fun, countdowns boring, unless they start 10 seconds before launch!

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The wetness outdoors seems to be evaporating in the wind but sunshine is promised for later - at just about Tesco time.  No major plans for today - maybe I could read up on the LB&SCR although I don't seem to have any books about it but I do know that it used the side of Victoria station which wasn't jointly leased from the Victoria & Pimlico Railway by the GWR and LC&DR and which became the third place where the GWR was involved in installing upper quadrant signals (scheme delayed by the Great War and the lever frame going to the bottom of the ocean while enroute from the USA - probably the first and last signal box lever frame to be torpedoed by a U-Boat?). Amazing what things come up on ERs isn't it.

Mushrooms for lunch today.

Have a good day one and all. 

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Some G-word undertaken, leaf fall being what it is around the very leafy NHN towers.

Tony, that box took a while to get there, Postie must have had a play with it en-route.  It went Thurs IIRC.

Off to do a favour for Jayne soon (no, DM.....) and then get instruction for the remainder of the day.  It's nice and sunny but rather draughty out, a shame the wind is spoiling what would be a beautiful autumn day otherwise, despite a torrential downpour at 6.  We know it was raining then as the CO2 detector did the bat flattery beep then - having changed the smoke detector early to prevent its usual 3am shenanigans, we forgot that one. Grrrr :triniti:  :butcher:

HB Dudders! :friends:

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Some G-word undertaken, leaf fall being what it is around the very leafy NHN towers.

Tony, that box took a while to get there, Postie must have had a play with it en-route.  It went Thurs IIRC.

Off to do a favour for Jayne soon (no, DM.....) and then get instruction for the remainder of the day.  It's nice and sunny but rather draughty out, a shame the wind is spoiling what would be a beautiful autumn day otherwise, despite a torrential downpour at 6.  We know it was raining then as the CO2 detector did the bat flattery beep then - having changed the smoke detector early to prevent its usual 3am shenanigans, we forgot that one. Grrrr :triniti:  :butcher:

HB Dudders! :friends:

I have a CO detector, which is far more use................but does the same bleeping bleeping at inopportune times.

The first CO detector I had was excellent: Pity was, it did not pick up the RSM.(He was on a totally different frequency!)

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. It being decently past 11.00 I can return to these frivolities.

LB&SC thongs eh? Lower Belly and Somewhat Chafing? Or perhaps Less Below and Scantily Clad?

I’ll leave those thoughts with you while I make coffee. No Tolworth despite its proximity as other duries are required. SWMBO is off to D.C. soon and requires assistance with her preparations.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I also know very little about the LB & SCR apart from their electrification scheme.  However it should be honoured as Oscar Wild gave it a mention in "The Importance of being Ernest".  After Lady Bracknell has uttered her immortal phrase "A Handbag" the reply is "​It was on the Brighton Side".   ​I'm sure that the vast majority of modern day audiences have no idea of what that line was all about .

Jamie

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl, inner temple here.

A good night's sleep was had just as well I was knackered.

Sunday being sailing day it was off down to the club.

Flags up,
Rescue boats kitted out,
Buoys put out,
Bacon butties consumed,
Boat rigged up,
Club members to the front of club,
Rain descended,
Flags descended half mast, for 2 minutes,
Flags back up.
Club members retreat to the dry warm clubhouse.

Look to get ready for race, other competitors withdraw as it's bucketing down / hailing..
Pack away boat while skating on deck on little white ball bearings.

Final coffee, go home.

Time for a cheese and Onion toasty..

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

CO, Richard, yes! D'oh.  Mine (the other type) in the past always had 4 stripes, something to beware of.  More recently it was Crowns on epaulets to be equally wary of!

Just had a decision made for me - an hour in the garage playing trains with the layout I keep thinking of tearing up and dodging the moment, proved the recent change of weather has decimated a lot of soldered track joints, resulting in no end of hassles so it's got to go.  Procrastination ended.

Did a bit of weathering to cheer myself up, the dirty Charlie is even dirtier, and a couple of coaches look rather more used.  Tried using Humbrol weathering washes for the first time, we'll see what they look like tomorrow.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Tony, that box took a while to get there, Postie must have had a play with it en-route. It went Thurs IIRC.

You posted it on Wednesday as requested. I suspect the delay wasn't at the IoM end or this end of the journey but somewhere after the mail plane landed. Well worth waiting for anyway and I liked the autographed invoice too! I haven't fitted the decoder yet as planned, Aditi asked if I would mind driving her to Waitrose. Getting in the car I got a warning message about low key fob battery. I used the spare key and checked the manual for how to and what with . Dismantling the key is easy once you have done it once, though I am glad I looked at the pictures in the manual. So that is enough electronic tinkering for today.

Today was the first day I felt cold while out with Robbie so I have sorted out my winter coat. I am definitely taking it to the Midlands tomorrow.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14