Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid that, due to the data protection act, I am unable to discuss any of the banking posts with you.

Good luck Dominik, although again, I'm sure you will do just fine without the need for luck.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. My visits here seem to be getting less and less frequent but I thought I'd check in today. Day off from the increasingly crazy, unfair, nonsensical world of my employers. Not all good though, I have a complete eye exam at the eye hospital today and I detest anybody touching my peepers. Never mind, will then stock up on food and maybe something to drink ready for a weekend of modelling, sport on the telly and a bit of making a noise on the guitar. Given the predicted weather I might not even go the door - this last couple of weeks I've had enough of being out and about in the rain.

Have a good day and a good weekend.

• RMweb Gold

Very white in the local frost spot this morning. We have electrical problems at work, mainly (ha ha) involving pulling 360A through a 300A rated distribution box, so the heating has been off. It's buddy cold.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning. Weather seems quite pleasant although rather cooler than it has been.

Not too much planned for today but I must not forget to buy dog food. I was also going to take Matthew to the local branch of his bank to deal with his card problem but we'll wait until he has his new one set up. He was grateful for the ideas suggested yesterday by ERs. Call centre service can work really well. I was paying my credit card via my bank's automated telephone service when something went wrong and I had to speak to a customer service person who dealt with the problem efficiently and pleasantly.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Very white in the local frost spot this morning. We have electrical problems at work, mainly (ha ha) involving pulling 360A through a 300A rated distribution box, so the heating has been off. It's buddy cold.

Perhaps you should get Gordon to come and install a new set of wiring?

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Fair few oktas in evidence but it's Friday! Was going to take today as vacation but having received an email from my dear employers yesterday evening that sent me bouncing off the walls and ceiling I decided I go to work just to spite them. All my American colleagues are on vacation as it's Thanksgiving so there is little if any work I can do. Would be silly to waste a days vacation entitlement!

Cheers

Dave

Morning all! Slept poorly last night so feeling knackered and grumpy this morning! Given I've got about 3 days' worth of flexi built up, I might see about taking the afternoon off.

On the plus side, Monday's St Andrew's Day, so it's a 3-day weekend! :)

Good luck Dominik!

No problem Tony. This 4mm is great stuff. Took up your suggestion and wired a small cooker to the bus. Means I can make tea and cook my lunch without having to go downstairs....biggrin.gif

Edit: Oops, Monday is St Andrews Day? It's also my wedding anniversary....Thanks Mike.icon_thumbsup2.gif

• RMweb Premium

It's Friday seems I've got lots planned for the weekend - but not a lot that I was aware of!

Probably will take ages to set up my new DVD player - my old DVD/VHS combi died in the week, and I can't find another for love nor money in Lancaster (I don't buy online), so I've got a cheapie DVD.

Can somebody here advise a bit - I have a BT Vision digibox connected to the Broadband, have rooted out my old VHS machine, and plan to add the new DVD to the stack - the major problem being that my TV has only one Scart socket. The old setup for the Scart leads was Video Combi out to Digibox in, DIgibox out to TV - it all worked fine.

If I extend this to DVD to video in, Video out to Digibox in, Digibox out to TV, is it likely to work, or would I be better to get a Scart switch box and manually switch between inputs? I'd prefer not to, as I like the simple life!

ps - eight octas of cloud here, and rain which is chucking it down intermittently.

Did you have to anaesthetize anyone? :lol:

Well, there was this big bloke wearing loads of gold who was asleep in the back :icon_lol:

I did manage to get out for my ride this morning. It turns out that shortly after I posted this morning the rain stopped. Still, it was blowing a gale with light rain on and off, so it wasn't a particularly pleasant experience!

• RMweb Gold

Update:

There is still the smell of overheating electric bits coming from the switchgear room.

They have solved the problem by putting an air freshener in there.

• RMweb Gold

Update:

There is still the smell of overheating electric bits coming from the switchgear room.

They have solved the problem by putting an air freshener in there.

Was that the result of getting an energy consultant in?

• RMweb Premium

Well, that's it, then :D . Exam went well, and wham - an important episode of my life's come to an end. I guess I'll be able to fully grasp this only over the next few days, though! Very satisfied with the overall result (2.1), too B) .

Again, thank you all for your continuing encouragement over the past few days and weeks, guys! :)

Happy Friday one and all.....

Thought I'd seen and heard it all until this morning. News footage showed that some idiots had removed the barriers across the closed damaged bridge in Workington and were driving across to save having to make the long detour.....icon_eek.gif

I despair sometimes....

Nutters

Have a good day, whatever you're doing. The weekend is just around the corner.

Looks like some people are in for a long wait - quote from the link in Gordons thread - Doctor Who in charge I presume?

"Huge lines of traffic were backed up on the A595 Papcastle Bridge and the A66 from Cockermouth to Workington.

However they will be soon thrown a lifeline with work beginning this morning on a temporary footbridge 300 years upstream of Calva Bridge.

Army engineers began work at the site this morning and hope to allow the first pedestrians to cross it by next weekend."

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations Dominik,

I had no doubts that you would pull through well B) :D

Just for Don - Cycling has proven wet, windy and muddy with comments received from people about the state of my clothes when I walk into college :lol:

College is all going well, a lot of coursework but nothing I wasn't expecting... just got to make a way of making a display case look less 'shelf like' and to make it more interesting than a 'standard' design...

Hope you are all well despite the horrific weather up North...

Yes, congratulations, Dominik. Very good result. Now the real fun starts - deciding how to use it to earn a crust.

Gordon: bridges and barriers - to those who removed the barrier, offer a tube of superglue so that they can make one long plank (instead of the two short ones of equal thickness to themselves!) Presumable, Shortliner, that's 300 light years away from the Calva Bridge - just to be sure that it's out of the flood plane? Surely REME (Army Engineers) wouldn't take a week to erect a bridge in a war zone; couple of hours, maybe. In the early 70s, they built a temporary footbridge outside the local school during a thunderstorm one night. It was so temporary that it lasted more than 30 years before it was replaced with a pelican crossing (although we don't get that many pelicans around here!)

Did I see reference to 360A through a 300A fuse? 'Frying tonight' springs to mind, but IIRC from physics, most fuses have a 125% capacity, so it should carry up to 375A - please correct me if I'm wrong. What was the cable rated at?