RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Todays discussion is about money :(

I hate arguing about money!

She wants a new fence, I want a new boiler.

I must admit to being very lucky in that respect as The Boss (Really just an honorary title, honest! ) leaves all the major financial decisions to me.

• Like 16
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Sir TH.

Fortunately in this house the boiler would always be a priority. Aditi does not like being cold. Her family were very “careful” with heating and it isn’t a tradition she had continued. When Matthew was little and I was too ill to work any expenditure was discussed. I suppose we have just carried on doing that. If the fence is somebody else’s responsibility I would exhaust that before spending my money. One of my fences was fine but the neighbours wanted something more decorative and asked if they could replace it. I had no problems with that and did offer to contribute something but they were happy just to get exactly what they wanted. 

Tony

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Sir TH if you can get a condensing combi boiler, saves money, no tanks and it runs off 2bar pressure and you only heat water when you need it. I had a couple of our old houses fitted with them, brilliant, I would have one now, but we live in a village with no mains gas, indeed we don't have mains sewage either we only get water and electric and the telephones coming in.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Morning (just!).

Todays discussion is about money :(

I hate arguing about money!

She wants a new fence, I want a new boiler.

Old boiler is over 15 years old (at least!), with tanks in the loft and bathroom.  Shower upstairs doesn't work as the gravity isn't enough to push the water out, so for the past 2 years or so we've been using the electric shower downstairs.

New boiler means better efficiency all round (although can't afford radiator TRVs at the moment).  Paying for this soley out of my account.

The fence is actually on next doors land.  They rent out the property.

Previous owners of our house came to some sort of agreement and went half/half on a fence.

Mrs STH is willing to pay £2000 to put a new fence in - out of the joint account.

We emailled the landlord who said they could get a new one put in for £1200, but didn't mention anything further.  We find out today from Tenant that someone will be coming to "take the old fence away" - they didn't say if a new one was going in.

I suspect the LL will want to replace it before re-letting, but the current tenants don't look like they'll be moving out any time soon.

For me, a new boiler is a must.
We don't have hot water at the moment because it seems a waste to heat up a large tank for washing hands only (we have a dishwasher).

While 5 out of 13 fence panels have fallen down, I agree it's not a great look but it looks like we're just paying the money rather than trying to sort out some sort of agreement with the LL.  Mrs STH would be a bit sad if the fence was a basic one (we went mid range for quotes, but not exactly what I wanted) but I'd be thinking of the money saving aspect.  Especially as she wants to put in a load of decking at the back and this and that.

It's almost like she feels having too much money in the bank is a crime and we should spend it.

She grew up in a poor family so never had much money.  Even after 4+ years of working, her bank hasn't seen £2000 as she just spends it before it gets anywhere near that.

What a rubbish conversation waiting for me this evening :(

I am sure a good few on here have attended funerals recently and I always come away from those events remembering that shrouds don’t have pockets! Not wanting to pry into your circumstances STH but have you tried the Energy Saving Trust as you are of a senior disposition and your old system is likely  to be rather / very inefficient? The only issue I have with combi-boilers is that they are often unable to deliver water at a high enough temperature and frequently one must run off a good bit until the tap delivers hot. That said, TRVs are a very wise investment anyway and have quite a rapid return on invested capital. Good luck with the evening’s conversations!

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Morning <yawn> <YAWN>

I am now determined to make having JFK reduced to rubble and replaced by a "real" airport a goal.

Suffice to say, even though the winds were quite a problem yesterday, those and the fact that they ALSO have one of the main runways under repair resulted in pretty much ANY aircraft heading to JFK from ANYWHERE in the US placed on a ground stop! Our was a mere FIVE !@$!#$!#$ HOURS! I might just as well have taken the late plane that gets in around midnight, since the 2:40 plane I was on, finally got there just 15 minutes shy of midnight. I appreciate the difficulty, it was quite an interesting approach, almost felt like you were on a bumper car ride, BUT, the place (JFK) just doesn't work well about 90% of it's life :butcher::triniti:

So, here I am with about 4 hours sleep, attempting to look sharp at the client :)

Good news is I got a convertible red Camaro for the rental, will attempt to get a picture later ;)

3 and sunny driving in, not quite top-down weather, supposed to be 17 for the high, so maybe top-down later

Carry on...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all or morning or afternoon if appropriate. Much domestic engineering got done after breakfast and I even did most of the ironing. We are in a suite aka z short rent flat in a 81 storey block. A hotel without food service but three rooms and facilities for a very reasonable price.  Then it was off to various shops and the bota ical gardens.  Our lunch in the cafe was en,ivened by a group og politicians and wannabee ones having lunch on the next table. The head honcho turned out to be an indelendent Fedeeal MP called Bob Katter. He ended up  hatti g to us and an aide asked if she could take our photo with him.

1555389861832_20190416_121421.jpg.822933c85655d7feaf58d4180d5293d0.jpg

An unkind fb friend has suggested that he looks like a grumpy version of me. Anyway he turned out to be a Rugby League fan a d knew Brian Noble who I used to work with when he was still a PCin Bradford.

Anyway it was then back here and I got told to p**s off to the station for an hour. Of course I did what I was told and even saw a coup,e more diesels on the Spirit of Queensland  a 1700 and a 2700.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, BoD said:

Apart from that, how was your day?

Pretty good actually, fortunately I don't live in Bradford or Durham come to that.:jester:

Baz everything you pass from the main road to the mill entrance has been attacked by a wrecking ball it just an untidy mess it seems the whole city is much the same 

apart from a few area's.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

The head honcho turned out to be an indelendent Fedeeal MP called Bob Katter. He ended up  hatti g to us and an aide asked if she could take our photo with him.

Jamie, it looks like you had an interesting afternoon. 

We don't do politics, so I won't comment - and given Queensland politics, that's just as well. If anyone is interested, his Wikipedia page is here. He was instrumental (with two other independents) in helping form a government in 2010 after what might otherwise have been a hung parliament.

I am curious as to where that photograph was taken.

• Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 81C said:

Pretty good actually, fortunately I don't live in Bradford or Durham come to that.:jester:

Baz everything you pass from the main road to the mill entrance has been attacked by a wrecking ball it just an untidy mess it seems the whole city is much the same 

apart from a few area's.

Are you sure you visited Salts Mill? The village of Saltaire is on two sides of it. The canal flows through the middle of the two mill buildings (the river is the other side of the second mill and the beautiful church is opposite the Mill complete with the village buildings.  which way in did you come as if the coach took you into the car park from the Bradford end they are doing some work on one or two of the buildings up near the railway...

More details are to be found  here Saltaire.

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Sister Drac has received my donation!

Sorted out some paperwork signing re house sale, parceled up a handset for update and posted it, Finished my packing for our trip....

Suppose it is time for me to cook tea!!

TTFN

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, lightengine said:

Personally I think a couple of rivets are missing.

FB_IMG_1555427636307.jpg

FB_IMG_1555427636307.jpg

The rivets aren't missing - they're the posh countersunk type.

Edited by Dave Hunt
I don't know why it's put lightengine's message in twice without the picture
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

31 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Car serviced OK with no problems and duly collected. Whilst I was waiting for my lift to the garage I was half watching "Escape to the Country" on TV. The couple involved were searching for a new home in Dorset and one of the places they visited was Tolpuddle and the Martyrs Inn was mentioned. When the couple were asked about the Tolpuddle Martyrs they said they had never heard of them. The Boss and I were both somewhat gobsmacked as this particular couple were teachers! 

Is it me? Is there something wrong here or am I just an MOG* who expects too much from our educational professionals these days?

(Tol)Puzzled of Sutton.

*Miserable Old Git

Did they see the Piddle?

Edited by lightengine
Errata
  • Like 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Car serviced OK with no problems and duly collected. Whilst I was waiting for my lift to the garage I was half watching "Escape to the Country" on TV. The couple involved were searching for a new home in Dorset and one of the places they visited was Tolpuddle and the Martyrs Inn was mentioned. When the couple were asked about the Tolpuddle Martyrs they said they had never heard of them. The Boss and I were both somewhat gobsmacked as this particular couple were teachers! 

Is it me? Is there something wrong here or am I just an MOG* who expects too much from our educational professionals these days?

(Tol)Puzzled of Sutton.

*Miserable Old Git

Not always the professionals fault. There has been much interference in the content of history  by politicians. I was fortunate enough to study British Economic and Social History (1700 to 1948) at O level.  This means I do know about Tolpuddle and other exciting stuff like the Corn Laws and the Taff Vale Case. 

Edited by Tony_S
Error
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Evening awl,

What a barbecue tragedy on l'Île de la Cité last night; poor Quasimodo, hope he's found a new home soon! Very sad. Never been inside but have seen it from the outside many times. Glad that funds are accumulating for its resurrection.

6 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Sir TH if you can get a condensing combi boiler, saves money, no tanks and it runs off 2bar pressure and you only heat water when you need it. I had a couple of our old houses fitted with them, brilliant, I would have one now, but we live in a village with no mains gas, indeed we don't have mains sewage either we only get water and electric and the telephones coming in.

The advantage of a roof tank is that, if the plumbing is designed correctly, you can have equal pressure at all taps (on the same level) that are in use at any time as each has the same head of water. With a combi system, one tap on has full pressure; two taps on, half pressure to each; three taps, one third pressure; you get the drift.

FB_IMG_1555427636307.jpg

I'm guessing (nay, hoping) you haven't counted them :jester:

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Are you sure you visited Salts Mill? The village of Saltaire is on two sides of it. The canal flows through the middle of the two mill buildings (the river is the other side of the second mill and the beautiful church is opposite the Mill complete with the village buildings.  which way in did you come as if the coach took you into the car park from the Bradford end they are doing some work on one or two of the buildings up near the railway...

More details are to be found  here Saltaire.

Baz

Hi Baz I've just had a look at Google map the coach driver took us in via the Otley Rd roundabout down Salt Mills Rd over the canal and ran down the side of the railway line 

which separates the mill from the village, all the buildings have been trashed on this road until you reach the mills gate I have had a look at the canal area which we did

not see yesterday and it does look attractive around by the park, there doesn't seem to be any planning to the demolition which makes the area look unkempt. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

My builder neighbour was so pleased with my supervision of the garage installation that he presented me with a bottle of wine. Over the years I have learned not to say “oh you shouldn’t have” and just say thank you. I also mentioned I was going to take advantage of access to the space above what was the area now in the garage that used to be outside to add some insulation. He then said he had some surplus and three bags of insulation arrived.  

Our boiler replacement a couple of years arrived after we had our smart meters so we could quickly see that it was somewhat cheaper to run. It isn’t a combi boiler and is a tank fed “open” system. One shower is gravity fed, the other has a mixer pump. Both are fine. Apart from the poor energy rating another reason to change was parts were starting to become unavailable for the old boiler. It wasn’t a problem for us ever but we preferred to change when convenient rather than necessary. 

Tony

• Like 17

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

(Tol)Puzzled of Sutton.

*Miserable Old Git

Too subversive for todays lot, feeling sorry for workers, you'll be joining a trade union next...…………………………….(I was a member of one for over 40 years)

• Like 9
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Not sure what combi boilers you've been using, but you will never get 2 bar out of a gravity tank unless it's a good couple of hundred feet in the air and with current "elf & safety" governing maximum working temperatures of boilers, a decent combi will definitely deliver that for as long as the taps open and you are paying for the gas/oil.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

feeling sorry for workers, you'll be joining a trade union next...………

There is more chance of me being the first man to land on Mars. Trust me, it will never happen in a million years.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 7

15 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Not sure what combi boilers you've been using, but you will never get 2 bar out of a gravity tank unless it's a good couple of hundred feet in the air and with current "elf & safety" governing maximum working temperatures of boilers, a decent combi will definitely deliver that for as long as the taps open and you are paying for the gas/oil.

Yeah, you will get (if the supply is up to the job) 2 bar out of one tap. Switch on a second tap (happens often if there's more than one of you in the house IMHO) and you get 1 bar out of each tap. 4 taps on, 0.5 bar per tap.

Never mind the 2 bar bit, with a properly designed and plumbed tank system, at each tap at each level (pressure = water density x gravity x head) you will get the same water pressure regardless of how many are on.

It's basic physics!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3