RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Her mum says it's silver 

I wish my car was silver. The last one was and never looked grubby. This one is a high gloss black. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

That's great news John.

A bit dull here and so is the weather. Showers forecast but it may brighten up later.

The Boss has toddled off to the chemist to pick up a prescription for me as my port undercarriage is still playing up.

I am going to try out the new mitre saw this morning having surprisingly already RTFM  :rtfm: but will have another look before I switch on. Luckily I have plenty of odd bits of timber to play with as I've just been advised my main delivery won't be here until 3.00 - 4.00PM.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I only heard one rumble of thunder last night but there was still plenty of rain. I think as Tony said it passed to the east of us and I'm only five miles west of Tony. Back to roundabouts the worst mini-roundabout hereabouts must be Wilson's Corner in Brentwood. Not only is it a double roundabout but all four entrances/exits have a push button pedestrian crossing within a few yards. I mentioned the other day that my friend was having electrical problems. Well thats now been sorted, the problem was the main feed from the distribution board to the kitchen. It was the original 65-year-old cable and the insulation was beginning to break down. The cable has now been replaced and its also cured the crackling on his bedside radio.

14 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Calling her a fiend?

I spotted that last night, beware of the awl!

• Like 10
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Bit of a boring day today. Niffnaff and trivia dealt with, some ineptitude on the part of insurance company personnel seen to, and more writing of a book I'm due to finish this year carried out. At the moment I'm giving two of my three typing fingers a rest (I only use one for ER posts) and having a well-deserved muggocoffee. 

Does anyone know where I can get a 16BA tap at a sensible price? The only thing I've been able to find so far is a set of first, second and taper at the 'special reduced' price of £75. All I want is a taper but that seems an impossibility now. Although Squires web site still lists them, it doesn't seem to have been updated for years and their new catalogue doesn't feature them.

TTFN

Dave

No harm in giving Squires a ring.

I've used them for years and they are very helpful............. to the extent that they got me some tools that were not in the catalogue!

(I did check my taps and dies, but at present, they only go down to 13 BA)

I'd second the suggestion about thinking of using proper sub 1 mm metric of possible.  I know a number of live steam manufacturers who changed from 6 BA to M 3 and made considerable cost savings.

The only reason I'm sticking with BA is that I have a considerable stock of some sizes of nuts and screws.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold

I bought a car last night. However it will hopefully fit through the letter box. I have no hope of getting a 1965 or 66 Ford Corsair in die cast but noticed there were a couple of Triang Minix ones on eBay. 

My neighbour has been known to buy full size cars on eBay on Saturday nights after a drink or two. My purchase was deliberate. 

• Like 10
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Match cancelled. 

This meant I was tasked with going to Makro to get some supplies for a little soiree on Saturday night to commemorate our Ruby wedding anniversary on Sunday. 

I remembered the beer and bag of salted peanuts ( wine, food etc already preordered from moreasons and our local good quality cafe..aka Sebbies of Far Headingley. 

Time for lunch then crust earning

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

No harm in giving Squires a ring.

I've used them for years and they are very helpful............. to the extent that they got me some tools that were not in the catalogue!

(I did check my taps and dies, but at present, they only go down to 13 BA)

I'd second the suggestion about thinking of using proper sub 1 mm metric of possible.  I know a number of live steam manufacturers who changed from 6 BA to M 3 and made considerable cost savings.

The only reason I'm sticking with BA is that I have a considerable stock of some sizes of nuts and screws.

Thanks Richard. The reason I'm looking for a 16BA tap is that, like you, I have a stock of screws in that and other BA sizes, otherwise I'd do what you suggest and go to metric. I'll give Squires and the Todmorden shop a ring and see if I get lucky.

Cheers

Dave

PS Just tried both suppliers but no go.

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, 81C said:

Hi Again 

I'm not having a very good day Her kicked off as expected I gave it back like for like her she stomped off with the @rse.

I found out the local estate agent has feed me a load of b#llsh!t about buying and selling, another one who I'm trying to buy through 

gave me the full rundown which will p!ss her off still not my fault but will get blamed for it and to cap it all I wasted most of the morning

at the doctors surgery trying to get on-line services back up and running it was like asking a road sweeper to preform brain surgery I've

got to go back later if and when they have sorted it out.

Anyway I think I will sit in the garden with a beer. :drink_mini:   

Stay cool 81C, the housing market has been sh!t for sellers for a while now, what with elections, Brexit, the effects of negative interest rates for savers / devaluation (called quantitative easing by central bankers) and Help to Buy all putting people off buying in the second-hand market. If I could give you one piece of advice, it would be to sell before you buy.

• Like 4
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

That's great news John.

A bit dull here and so is the weather. Showers forecast but it may brighten up later.

The Boss has toddled off to the chemist to pick up a prescription for me as my port undercarriage is still playing up.

I am going to try out the new mitre saw this morning having surprisingly already RTFM  :rtfm: but will have another look before I switch on. Luckily I have plenty of odd bits of timber to play with as I've just been advised my main delivery won't be here until 3.00 - 4.00PM.

Have a good one,

Bob.

I hope you don't use the chopsaw like the roof-building cowboys across from us! Balanced on a temporary length of 4x2, wielding a battery-powered circular saw with arms extended to maximum above head and with "mate" attempting to guide it while hanging over from a few rafters away - no wonder the construction industry is one of the most dangerous around. What is wrong with a good (and controllable) cross-cut hand saw? Anyway, the roof structure in question hasn't turned any shade of red and rain has stopped play for them once more.

I believe I must be showing signs of age. The strides ordered last week were delivered but weren't of satisfactory width to accommodate dangling bits of KZ so have been packed up and taken to our local subPO. When I returned home, I found the returns note etc was still on the worktop so back to the subPO, reclaim parcel, slit it open and slip paperwork inside then reseal the parcel. I doubt that one could do that at one of the remaining main post offices! A visit to town then ensued to arrange a blood-letting session for next week, pick up my repeat prescription, purchase sink unblocking fluids and then back to KZTowers to solve the shower issue. With any luck (and a following wind) I may be allowed to do what I like in the world of railway modelling this evening, which reminds me, grilled sausages, beanz & potatoes are on tonight's menu.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Who put the lights out? Up to about half an hour ago the sun was shining now its turned very dark and its started raining. MRC tonight so I've got to get ready, be back later.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

It has rained, it isn't raining at this very minute, it will probably rain later.  We still have a yellow thunderstorm warning but thus far no thunderstorms of any colour have occurred in our locality.  sufficient supplies were taken onboard at Tesco thos morning to last through to Sunday (with the help of the meat that is in the freezer) and three leftover sausages from last night remain in the fridge for conversion into another sausage sandwich tomorrow morning.  

The 'tidying up' word is in repeated use as we are expecting guests from La belle France at the beginning of next month, his ladship will be away then as he has a meeting to attend in Graz so he'll miss out on some French conversation (which is probably just as well).

Enjoy the rest of the day one and all.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Have you seen the real time lightning map?

http://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#z=6;t=2;m=oss;r=0;s=0;d=2;a=2;dc=0;o=0;n=0;y=53.3177;x=-3.1201;b=;ts=0;dl=2;

I don’t know how it works but when I’ve been able to check it, it has proven quite accurate even down to the visual of the spread of the sound waves (thunder).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

8 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

That's great news John.

Have a good one,

Bob.

When doing my engineering apprenticeship, before using any power tools (hand-held, lathes, mills, etc.) we had drummed into us that the first thing to learn is how to stop them. Starting them came much later!

• Like 13
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, Kingzance said:

What is wrong with a good (and controllable) cross-cut hand saw? 

It's slow and requires physical effort. Next question?

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 8