The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, pH said:

Perceptions of food as 'poor' or 'rich' can change: 

https://gizmodo.com/lobsters-were-once-only-fed-to-poor-people-and-prisoner-1612356919

In fact, in places, lobsters were so plentiful that they were ground up and used for fertilizer.

As were oysters, another staple for the lesser peoples I believe!

Anyways, here is the shipping forecast for NEHerts for anyone sending goods to KZ Towers: cloudy, winds southwesterly 4 to 5, occasional showers, visibility good - but not good enough to glimpse the BoB fighters over-flying the very inspirational gentleman Colonel Tom Moore. Good on you sir!

SWMBO, having been glued to the BBC’s version of The Truth for the past two and a half hours, is presently abluting so orders are yet to be disseminated. I hope to be allowed out to obtain some fresh vegetables from a nearby “sells everything” shop. A nice piece of rump is now slowly thawing in the chill drawer of the fridge as I fancy a bit of that tomorrow. I believe that I have been let down by Spiratronics so will be working in an unnatural and inverted position later to lay identically coloured wires for the separate circuits that are the Up Main and the Down Main lines approaching Kingzance terminus station, goods facility and fish dock. Whether in reality I achieve my immediate and longer term plans is to be seen. At least I now have a decent selection of vehicles that can be hauled or propelled by green kettles, some of which have burnished copper chimblies, others having water containers arranged along the sides of the kettle elements. It being Thursday, I have a virtual meeting of the Camera Club to attend this evening after a dose of The Clap.

Be good, be careful, I’m off to Baz it now.........

• Like 18

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

...The frightening thing was I signed away my life with the Hofficial secrets act for over half my life. ...

Frighteningly, I also had to sign the Hofficial Secrets Act for a short term job in a mail room at (the then Government owned) British Telecom. Sadly, I was not part of any clandestine monitoring programmes that, at the time, BT was rumoured to run (presumably for GCHQ or the like).

When I was growing up, I always thought of the OSA as the way the UK protects its' military and economic secrets from the "Bad Guys". Now, I conclude that it is there to prevent the public finding out about how - too often - "Whitehall"  manages to cock things up.

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Funny you mention it. I almost brought it up earlier along with the "snakes with pelvi" reference.

A compatriot and fellow "banana bender"* is one of the most egregious proponents of the mythical Fred Flinstone epoch, sponsoring both the Creation Museum and a Noah's Ark "replica" in Kentucky. He left Australia a little after I did, to find more fertile ground for his hypotheses in the US bible belt.

* Which Aussies will recognize as a Queenslander.

Of course Noah saved all the beasts of the Earth by leading them into the Ark two-by-two... assuming that Noah had access to -196*C Freezers, a method for surrogate motherhood and a 100% success rate in birthing the resultant full-term foetuses. I reckon that the only way for Noah to have had two of every beast on Earth in that size Ark would have been if he had had each pair (male and female) as frozen embryos and even then, I reckon he could have only gotten a fraction of Earth's biota into the Ark. Furthermore, what about those species that reproduce parthenogenetically? Or those, such as the Angler Fish, where the male is fused to the female's body after the male finds the female - pretty difficult when you have a benthic lifestyle. Not your basic "male and female"!

I may be biased, being a scientist by training and inclination, but I would argue that life - for pretty much everybody on this planet - has improved immeasurably since we swopped "The Ancient Scrolls of Mu" for science and engineering. Life rarely is, nowadays, "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short" - as Thomas Hobbes put it.

35 minutes ago, pH said:

Perceptions of food as 'poor' or 'rich' can change: 

https://gizmodo.com/lobsters-were-once-only-fed-to-poor-people-and-prisoner-1612356919

In fact, in places, lobsters were so plentiful that they were ground up and used for fertilizer.

Very true. Here in Basel, Salmon (from the Rhine - Yes! from the Rhine!) were so plentiful that Salmon was fed to apprentices until (IIRC) they revolted. Oyters were plentiful in Victorian England (and the famed Steak Kidney and Oyster Pie/Pudding far from being a luxurious treat was a way to stretch a small amount of meat) and so on.

Who knows, maybe in the future, fried chicken may replace Smoked Salmon as a luxury item due to there being very few chickens around (a distinct possibility given in what appaling conditions most of the world's chickens are kept in. Disease is rife, ameriolated by the abundant use of antibiotics: so Hello sort-of-healthy chicken and Hello Mr MRSA...)

Edited by iL Dottore
error
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Parcel just arrived and brought to the shed by my other half.Its about ot be given a good run. I like receipts like this!!

20200430_100600.jpg

Could that be a result of your entering the virtual festival’s prize drawer? Bachman have already been in touch to arrange my prize too.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning, dry, blue skys with intermittent cloud and a gentle breeze here. Didn't post yesterday I simply forgot!

We did go out yesterday to a food wholesaler who had decided to supply the public, we did have to make an appointment to get in but the trip was worth it flour, pasta yeast and other items bought.

This morning we went to get a few fresh items from a local supermarket , funny looks all-round as we had surgical gloves and face masks on, got a telling off from my other half for taking the gloves off the wrong way on returning to the car!  Also I found that I needed to position the face mask carefully otherwise my glasses steamed up! The joys of having a ex nurse for my other half who did a spell in Infection control.

The shed beckons but awaiting a delivery of a few items due to today which I need to progress a project.

Enjoy your day and take care

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi has just informed me that she is going out to the garden to break up her chicken manure which had gone solid. Exciting times here...

It's easier to handle as a solid:  The fresh stuff does get stuck under the fingernails!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

Oh Mr (and Mrs) Stationmaster, how delicious they look! Ah yes, remiss of me not to mention Polybear and his final commute - well done sir for surviving, now you'll wonder how you ever had time to work for someone else!

Thank you Tony_S for the suggestion but I have spent nearly two hours on my knees - they are telling me they have had enough already - doing what is necessary to excite the relevant strips with the wires that I have, including red and black, whilst these sections would have been purple & grey (Up) and Orange & Pink (Down). The reason these have to be different is that they are effectively potential reversing loops. At their junction, and seperated by insulated joiners, there is a diamond crossing for which the polarity of the crossing frogs need to change according to the route set. I therefore have installed a programmable logic relay to switch polarity according to the route selected. I hope the programming of that relay is correct and that the whole works - it has been a long time getting to this stage!

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Some of you may have realised that I have a motto:

Eat to Live. Live to Eat.

Could have been my dear wife’s family motto.

One of their family businesses in India does have a motto, though I suspect it would be a mission statement nowadays. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 19