RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Someone mentioned this on FB - had never heard of it. But it may relate to one of our inmates of the asylum.

the original is by Gayla Peevey recorded 1953.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TheQ said:

the original is by Gayla Peevey recorded 1953.

PS Yes I do have a copy it's on a 1950's / early 1960's compilation of Christmas songs..

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Someone mentioned this on FB - had never heard of it. But it may relate to one of our inmates of the asylum.

Kate Rusby has also done a version on her album Holly Head which we enjoyed on her live stream concert on Saturday. 

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The sore foot was making a meal of it last night and I didn't get to sleep until the early hours. If it wasn't for the lesser spotted glass and bottle wagon I'd probably still be in the land of nod. Muggatee is calling so I'll be back shortly.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Bedfordshire has been moved into tier three.  Just what I needed.  This appears to put the kibosh on Xmas Day's dinner

We have been in Tier 3 for a while and quite a few eateries are producing Christmas meals to take away, many of them are three courses.  The idea is that you pick them up on Christmas Eve for reheating on the day itself.  I’m not sure how ‘satisfactory’ that would be, but you may be able to find something similar.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Hello again, muggatee or three has been drunk so I'm back again.

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Forgive me for being obtuse Phil, but what do blackbirds and ravens have to do with The Repair Shop? :D (which is an enjoyable programme, but I wish they’d concentrate more on the materials and methods used than on the soppy “I got daddy’s wotsit back” emotional b0ll0cks).

Your post about Romford Station brought back memories, I spent part of my childhood living in the Romford-Gidea Park-Hornchurch triangle (a bit like the Bermuda Triangle but without the sun...:jester:).
Although I model GWR (well someone has to do it...) when I first returned to railway modelling I had ideas about either modelling Romford Station or, more likely, Gidea Park Station as they were in 1968. Sadly, due to the absence of RTR rolling stock and a lack of faith, at the time,  in my modelling skills, I switched to my second choice-GWR-for which there was plenty of RTR material. Now that I am sufficiently confident of my skills to build from kits and from scratch, I have invested too much money in GWR rolling stock to switch to 1968 BR Eastern Region :(

Sorry about that Flavio, putting my R's in the wrong place.:D

I was looking at various plans for the track layout for Romford brewery with a small industrial line in mind. Sadly the part of the Gotto Plan showing the Brewery and the adjacent High Street has suffered the worst damage over the years.

8 hours ago, TheQ said:

The problem with understanding London roads is the missing rivers. Prior to the little problems involving Mr Cromwell travel was often by boat across many rivers, I believe the Queen had a nice little income with over 40,000 Waterman and lighter men on the rivers 50 years before in 1600.

Around that time 1649 onwards..many more bridges were being built,  and the rivers started losing their Importance. By Victorian times rivers and streams  were being built over, turned into closed sewers rather than open ones. Rivers in London are effectively missing other than the Thames.

The river Fleet aka the Holborn is the most famous one, once a major river it became a flooded polluted ditch by Victorian times, before being sewered. But it forced road, railway/underground alignments and building positions.  So you find bends in roads aiming for former bridges or running alongside or over rivers lengthways unrelated to the Thames itself.

Indeed, in Romford the only indication of the River Rom in the town centre is the hump in the high street.

I came across this http://www.layersoflondon.org when looking for the Gotto Plan which is in there somewhere. However all the map enthusiasts should find it useful.

5 minutes ago, BoD said:

We have been in Tier 3 for a while and quite a few eateries are producing Christmas meals to take away, many of them are three courses.  The idea is that you pick them up on Christmas Eve for reheating on the day itself.  I’m not sure how ‘satisfactory’ that would be, but you may be able to find something similar.

I think that requires a microwave, something that Chris refuses to contemplate. In my case I will only be using the microwave to reheat some of the pre-cooked veg. The dry fryer will be used as a mini fan oven to do the root veg and the meat will be prepared either under the grill or in a pan. That way Christmas dinner will be prepared and on the table within half an hour.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

@polybear ..my first year in St Evenage saw a missive come round. "NO DRINKING ON SITE" . Come the last day at work numerous people appeared with flak.not normal! When the minxe pies, sausage rolls and cake arrived at 11:00 ( finish time had been set for 1pm) the flasks revealed various types of wines..we were invited round to the Departmental Heads' office ..just about to toast 470 Department when in walked the director who sent out the missive. A glass of malt was thrust into his hand (he was a scot) the toast was made and I walked to the station to get a train north. Happy days!

Baz

Ah yes, the 1 o'clock finish - courtesy of the The Great Empire to "help the employees enjoy their chrimbo" etc. etc. - or words to that effect (the afternoon becomes "free" time off).  Complete cobblers of course - we all knew it was because they wanted to get the site shut down asap.  And if you wanted to take the morning off as well (sometimes we had to work on the 24th, so some wanted the full day to travel to relations, or do shopping etc.) then you had to use a full day's holiday.  Nothing like a bit of chrimbo cheer....

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

They usually knock off at 15:00 here on Christmas eve.... I finish at 15:00 anyway since I start early..:sad_mini:

Never had an early Knock off anywhere otherwise.. Normally because we were 24 hour manned 365 days 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

That gets more radio time in Oklahoma at Christmas than the “Rebellious Rhinoceroses sing the greatest hits heard over the fence from HH’s radio in the muddy hollow.”

Douglas

*Hello all again

• Funny 17