RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I was actually in bed by 12 last night, the earliest I have gone to bed since before Christmas. There was a brief flurry of fireworks at the witching hour then it went quiet. Muggatee awaits, be back later.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

.........referring to such halfwits as scheisskopfen (not sure if I've got the spelling correct) or armleuchteren, which I think is the equivalent of d*ickheads

Literally; sh!theads but possibly equally sh!t for brains - S4B

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

Morning All, 

A happy new year to all.

we had some fireworks last evening but I think by midnight they all been used up as I fell asleep well before that time and didnt get disturbed.

Better get a shift on, sprouts to be peeled as mil is coming round and Sydney needs his walk.

Till later,

Robert

• Like 19

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

Another -3C minimum here in North Somerset. Best wishes for 2021 to everyone. 

Prayers for Chrisf’s Aunty Gladys. Let us hope she is as resilient as my father who is a year older at 97. He has survived the virus but according to the care home staff it has knocked him back, but my brother delivered him a replacement wheelchair and so he can just about get from his room to the communal rooms. 

SWMBO’s birthday today, and my presents seem to have gone well, especially the Asian spice veggie cookbook which she is now reading in bed. 

As for breaking ice on ponds, I believe it should be done especially if there are fish underneath, as they will suffocate from lack of oxygen if the ice remains for more than a day or so. Similarly, amphibians which hibernate at the bottom, and will die if oxygen levels fall very low. 

Very white outside, and so I will have to top up the bird feeders and give them some unfrozen water. 

The way to remove ice in ponds is to pour boiling water on it. If you break it, it causes trauma to fish and amphibians. You can leave a ball floating on the surface to deter ice from forming. Any pond with fish ideally needs to be at least 18 - 24" deep. Ice only causes problems if  it remains for a long time.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, chrisf said:

There was me thinking that 2020 could not get any worse.  Wrong.  My 96 year old Aunt Gladys has caught the virus.  She lives in a care home near Bristol and I’m so glad I made the effort to pay her a visit back in September.  Five years ago I would have said that she was as tough as old boots.  Not any more she isn’t.  She is the aunt that I share with my cousin Brian [88C] and we are both apprehensive of the outcome.

• Friendly/supportive 6