RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

20 hours ago, polybear said:

And someone was lucky not to get this land on their bonce (scroll down):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56141673

(And as it happened in the USA - with apologies to fellow ER'ers, I expect a number of claims from those starting huge compensation claims for damage, stress. personal injury, therapists costs etc etc after suffering life-long headaches and memory loss after being hit by a falling 16BA nut).

Fortunately no one was physically injured from 777 engine debris in this incident so I imagine that personal injury suits  related to physical harm will be non-existent.

A substantial number of videos have emerged today including doorbell cameras recording a large strut of some kind falling into a street. The front cowling appears to have significantly damaged the pick-up truck it may have fallen on before it came to rest and there is at least one home where debris broke through the roof and ceiling.

How United Airlines and perhaps Boeing and or Pratt and Whitney will deal with property damage in suburban Denver will be curious to watch. Additionally I can imagine many passengers being terrified by the visible engine fire and shattered housing. Their first thoughts probably weren't "It's OK, a 777 can fly and land safely on one engine".

While it is appropriate to let the NTSB investigate this accident, national news outlets have shown video stills where a broken fan blade on the 777 engine is quite visible, similar to the 2018, SWA-1380 737 fan blade failure which led to the death of a passenger seated in a window seat.

By the way, I know people who live in a city bordering on Broomfield, CO.

Two people in the vicinity of Meerssen (The Netherlands) were "slightly injured" by debris from a 747-400 freighter with some kind of engine failure today.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

10 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

-7 and cloudy first thing, supposed to hit -1 and possibly some light snow later.

Based on the news I saw tonight I thought you are expecting a high of perhaps 5°C tomorrow! Certainly chilly but a respite from the deep freeze.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The passengers on the United 777 that lost an engine over Denver were put on a replacement aircraft to Honolulu after they returned to Denver airport. I imagine they wouldn’t have been too happy to learn about the history of the replacement aircraft!

https://onemileatatime.com/ua328-aircraft-replacement/

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 15

• RMweb Premium

My I suggest that Combe Martin directs the owners of the chicken "road" in the direction of Wile E Coyote or his brother Reynard.

Also,  Servos.

• Like 3
  • Funny 13

Another cloudy and damp morning in North Somerset. Light drizzly rain at the moment, but given how wet everything looks it must have been heavier at times overnight. 

I don't intend to do a lot today, but might get around to reading a few magazines which have been piling up waiting for a day when I can't be @rsed to do much else. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, sixoh8sixoh said:

No, don’t think so... I did meet the minister at the time, who I believe is now the Chief Minister. 

Gary might have retired by then. His replacement wasn't involved with the B-I Council.

Howard Quayle has done a good job this last year as CM, despite what the keyboard warriors say!  I bet he didn't expect to be dealing with this situation.  I understand he isn't going to stand in the autumn, a shame.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

18 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

The issue is not with the ceiling rose. The wires come down a hollow piece of wood from the rose and then into the baker lite housing for the bulb onto which the shade is attached. This lower section appears, at first glance to be held only by the ends of the wiring.

It’s a real PIA as Mums is wanting to stay down Newark and will probably sell the house when I move business addresses but I think she needs to spend time up here sorting things out so will need the lights sorting. If she was stopping long term I’d replace the lights but get the feeling the the job would escalate out of control and my abilities. The house was built in the sixties and hasn’t been rewired and when I asked an electrician to do a minor job he said he couldn’t without rewiring the whole whole house. Something to ponder.

Mum (and SWMBO and myself through association) will shortly be in a similar position, trying to decide what to do with ‘stuff’. It was a real eye opener yesterday  seeing what mums still got hanging around. In particular theres my Dads snooker cue propped  up by the back door and he passed away in 2004!

Better get a move on,

Robert

You may find the house difficult to sell if the wiring is that old, a new consumer unit will also be required no doubt, if there's Bakelite fittings there's a chance the wiring will be rubber insulated, if so that has possibly perished causing a real fire risk.

• Like 4
  • Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It appears that we’ve had quite a bit of overnight rain going on how wet the garden looks. The plans for today are to do some light work in the cellar, possibly sorting out some magazines and getting rid of those I no longer want, I will remove some articles that I think will be useful in the future but the rest will be recycled, giving me more space on the book shelves. But this may well take some time, so occasionally I’ll take a break and ‘play’ with a few control items  for the unmentionable items that run and parallel tracks. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian 

• Like 18

5 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

You may find the house difficult to sell if the wiring is that old, a new consumer unit will also be required no doubt, if there's Bakelite fittings there's a chance the wiring will be rubber insulated, if so that has possibly perished causing a real fire risk.

I think the house would be sold as a ‘renervation’ project rather than a house to live in straight away. It’s actually got a new(ish) consumer unit. Not sure quite what the bulb holder is made from but of 60s origin. I’m hoping that perhaps she’ll not sleep in the house again but there is a lot of stuff to move and it wouldn’t be practical for her to drive up from Newark day after day to sort stuff out.

thanks,

Robert.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. 

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

I was going to weigh the trailer by using the bathroom scales under each wheel in turn and then under the coupling, but found the scales had failed. They were in excess of 30 years old, so I've ordered the cheapest on line.. Which not only weighs you, but calculates body mass etc and gives you accusing numbers.

Those scales will not be able to weigh your trailer. They are solid state, they work by passing a small electric current through your body (thats why you have to stand on them in your bare feet). It was from using one of these scales not set up properly that someone got a four figure BMI. I would suggest using a spring balance if you have somewhere to hang it from and enough space.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10