RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Irrespective of anyone's political views (let's not go there!) why oh why do the media persist in asking  unanswerable questions?  

e.g. "were asked by Sophia Sleigh of the Evening Standard asks the PM if he can categorically rule out a full lockdown?"

I would suggest you stupid <insert favourite type of cake spelt with 4 letters the first and last of which might be "t">  that no one can categorically rule anything out or in, in case you hadn't noticed we are still in the middle of global pandemic!!!  

The fact that politicians try to placate them and not just tell them TSTFU is just as indefensible.  

In my opinion, the media have an awful lot to answer for.

• Like 2
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Sad to report that a post on the Jampot forum (AJS + Matchless Owners Club) last October that Pat has recently died.

I have to say when I acquired my bike ~ 4 years ago I was amazed at the availability of spares still available for bikes which ceased manufacture ~ 55 years ago from the very active Owners Club.  My wallet was even more amazed, no terrified, that not 6 miles from where I live there is another very knowledgable, friendly chap (indeed a marquee expert) who sells a vast array of useful bits and pieces to help keep the old girl chugging who is only too keen to pass on his knowledge to newbies like myself   :)

Thanks Pup - I had been searching for info myself and had just found the same obituary that you quoted. I left the Bank 25 years ago and now recall being told that Pat and Ron were moving from Derbyshire to Lincolnshire following retirement. I was pleased to hear that the work they started with the Spares Scheme has continued - I know Pat would tell me about various parts they were having remanufactured and at one time I passed on a chain guard to a friend who was a volunteer at the Festiniog Railway and he got one of their metal bashers to make a few exact copies. Although she had her own AJS at home (250cc Lightweight) her daily ride to work was a BMW and I think Ron had a BMW as well.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. A bit late this evening been ploughing through my Farcebook groups. The tear and share cinnamon bun is no more and I didn't have to share it either :D. Now to catch up on the rest of Farcebook.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

The weight of water in ponds is sometimes under estimated at around 1kg per litre.

Our water supply is measured in cubic metres.  I did a little math and figured that a cubic meter of water weighs a metric ton (1000 kg). 

Our water softener measures in gallons.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 6

14 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

The weight of water in ponds is sometimes under estimated at around 1kg per litre.

1 hour ago, BR60103 said:

Our water supply is measured in cubic metres.  I did a little math and figured that a cubic meter of water weighs a metric ton (1000 kg). 

It's not an accident.

The relationship between measures (linear and volume) and mass was based on water, just like Celsius* for temperature.

1ml == 1g of water and occupies 1cm^3

1l == 1kg of water and occupies 1,000cm^3

1kl == 1t of water and occupies 1m^3

It takes 1 calorie (cal) to raise the temperature of 1ml of water by 1°C.

1 calorie = 4.184J

The calorie is Metric, but is not an SI unit. It is a remnant of the old 'cgs' (centimeter-gram-second) Metric system essentially replaced by 'mks' (metre-kilogram-second) SI units which are much more effective when electrical phenomena (with the base unit Ampere) are included.

It takes 4.184kJ to raise the temperature of 1kg of water by 1°C. This is a Calorie == 1kilocalorie or (kcal)

Food labels in the US use the "Calorie" (meaning kilocalorie or kcal) rather than the more proper SI unit of joule.

* In SI Units, the base unit is the kelvin (K). Celsius is considered a derived SI unit. Weirdly (as it is based on a name) it is capitalized when spelled in full, unlike kelvin (K), joule (J), pascal (Pa), volt (V), watt (W) etc.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's first ever Pizza:

December 1985, Ristorante Casa d'Italia - Lytham St. Annes.  Bin there... One of my favourites, First visit about 88 /89, I'll eat any pizza not containing Anchovies or olives..

My first ever company jolly - and a first ever stay in a Hotel (the St.Ives - I got the room that had a bl00dy great 5" cast Iron pipe running thru' it from ceiling to floor - all I got was the sound of clinkers bouncin' thru' it every time a bog was flushed on the floor above.  Plus it was close to the indoor pool, so I got the smell of chlorine too.  F. delightful). Yep stayed there many times, Booked in by the company , I had no choice.. The hotel was a prime example of how not to convert an old Hotel pre having facilities in every room.. I think I may have had the same room on one occasion.. Certainly I was in one where they'd converted the next room for facilities.. Bog in one corner, Bath in another sink on an opposite wall.. You could have played football  in between.. Even had a flat to myself out the back once, I had to be up there during a party political or something like that and that's all that was available...

I do enjoy a pizza.. But sadly that carbo hydrate base is no good for me, I'm surprised the UK equivalent, a Trencher, hasn't become popular..

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

A marquee:

image.png.324c22c5cc5b9d21afaa69ad3a62bd13.png

Hat, coat, gone....:jester:

It's part of my plan for "All Weather" biking - Puppers hates getting cold and/or wet :whistle:

• Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning from, what promises, to be a rather warm Charente.  Yesterday got very warm, I was even so bold that I put a pair of shorts on when I headed off to work on Cluckingham Palace.  The horse in next doors garden didn't appear to be offended at the sight but Harry the pheasant has obviously taken fright.   The frame for the inner door was made and the first drop of wire installed.  Just a door to make and 5 more wire drops.  Beth cut the lawn (Weed patch) and I made a lamb curry with the remains of the roast lamb from Sunday.  That went down well and afterwards we enjoyed the evening sun and sat out on the bench.  It would have been rude not to have a second glass of red.

Gardening is not a pleasure for me though Beth has turned out to be very green fingered with many veg produced last year.  .

Anyway today is J or jab day.   We have to report to the surgery at 10.45 to be chipped.   Bill will be able to track us after that.  Paracetomol has been advised by the Doc.   Not a lot is planned over the next two days but we will have to see.

Regards to all.

Jamie

One of the great joys of the Covid crisis is discovering that the experts know nothing. Your doctor is advising paracetamol. Only yesterday, a local doctor here (Perpignan) was advising against it unless the jab provoked symptoms. It's hardly surprising that with constantly conflicting advice and poor messaging, so many people are not following the "rules".

• Like 15
  • Agree 2