The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon all 

200 mph in an old aircraft drop tank not bl00dy likely.

Mrs NHN should take some pictures of her archery prowess when she tackles Fleet. 

Not much happening today been to the garden centre this morning and dodged the rain. It did rain heavily during the night.

The seaweed twirlers predict a heatwave coming for the middle of the month 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

We as a nation stand corrected re sand on UK beaches. Some could use a proper swell though to be honest, say 500m. Luckily this guy wants to help..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/05/03/russia-ireland-nuclear-weapons-video-ukraine/

I'll bet at least one Numnutz will try to surf it.....

Incidentally, the Ruskies spout all their big scary horror stories but seem to forget that our Nukes are all safely tucked up aboard Nuclear Subs hidden well beneath the waves.....

Bear here.....

More painting done; I may well do more this afternoon (tbc) if I can be ar5ed to.  My latest order of paint (satin for the woodwork) turned up as promised, only instead of leaving it with a neighbour as instructed if there was no answer (I was probably in the back garden cleaning paint rollers....) they left fifty quid's worth on the doorstep.  Ar5ebadgers.  I only knew they'd been cos' the mixing sticks that were part of the order (they were cheap and I needed to hit fifty quid to get free delivery) were danglin' thru' the letterbox.

When I unpacked the order I discovered that instead of sending Owatrol Oil (a paint conditioner) they'd sent Owatrol Polytrol instead (a rather useful colour restorer and corrosion inhibitor).  Polite snottogram sent - I'm rather hoping they won't want the wrong item back, but at 27 quid a tin I'm not hopeful.....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, polybear said:

Owatrol Polytrol

I bought the tiny trial size of that and it does do exactly what it states on the tin. What I was trying to restore was really too far gone but on less faded brown upvc it did very well. A little does quite a lot. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Finished tidying up the racking so I can start on the shed soon. Not today though as some stuff will have to go out on the patio and the weather is a bit damp today. I spotted the fox cubs down the bottom of the garden sheltering from the rain beneath my fir tree, how many I'm not certain. Time to put the kettle on, be back later.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've used owatrol oil as an additive to primer on mi narrowboat - however, beware it DOES change the surface finish despite what it says on the tin.

My primer coat, instead of being the required dead flat finish is a now a bit more akin to vinyl silk.

The owatrol oil had bl@@dy well better act as the corrosion inhibitor that it (also) claims to be........

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl. A fine sunny day now, though it started cool, dark and damp. Bath attendant duties attended to earlier. Topped it up, back inside, blackbird hops out and has a splash, then sits on the fence to preen. The bluetits are lowering the level on the nuts at a noticeable rate, will soon have to play waiter as well. 

The only time I've seen surfing has been in UK 'waters', when the waves have been 'modest'. Maybe three feet at most? It did look a bit different to what Hollywood has shown. The university had a surfing club, I saw them out occasionally at weekends and to be honest (though not tactful), I've seen bigger waves in my bathtub. 

We had a knock at the door yesterday, instead of a courier it was a canvasser (for the blue party). That's the first time we've ever had a doorstep call in my lifetime, in any of the houses I've lived in/owned. Not much said, plenty could have been but it wouldn't change anything and it wouldn't have been fair on him. 

Three pictures for the aussies, to reassure them British beaches aren't all sandy:

54962669_StarcrossFGW.jpg.b59db391d44b21efe832cc3ba4a449d6.jpg

Or if they are, the sun is rarely out, even in summer...

1070919452_Lyme-Cobb04-06-2014A7465R.jpg.9a1fab8d6611d57cf06cd2839fed0ebe.jpg

And Englishmen do the strangest of things, whereas most of us take dogs for a walk on the beach, this chap took his digger. Heel boy! 

301019943_WalkiesR.jpg.6bf68f293cd275013df032845c1d4503.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

It would certainly appear all those around mad Vlad are round the twist as well.

Or trying to stay out of trouble perhaps?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10778065/Ukraine-war-Russian-oligarch-fears-life-criticising-Putin.html

"Tinkov says he is now in hiding outside Russia and has hired bodyguards after being warned by friends with connections in the security service that 'a decision regarding you has been made', leaving him in fear of his life"

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Never did any painting this afternoon, but did faff around cleaning stuff up and thinning the next paint colour ready for tomorrow.  The paint supplier has read my snottogram but has yet to reply 4 hours later.  Hmm.....

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

IMG_4218.jpeg.02d993dfa8901b1b66e9738133bd6193.jpeg

Why get one when you can get two for twice the price? 🤣

So, here's the story. Following their withdrawal from ÖBB service in 2009 and long-term storage until retirement in 2016, sixteen of the eighteen 1014s built were acquired by a logistics company called Zeller Transporttechnik in 2018. ZTT returned six locos to revenue service until the company went into administration by late 2019. I understand a debt restructuring agreement was finalised last year but as of now, the 1014s are out of service anew.

Interestingly, Tanzania intends to build an electrified standard gauge passenger railway and is looking to obtaining a number of these locos for this purpose!

Though under the It's My Railway rule, I would work from the assumption that ZTT had continued independent railway operations, and am planning to mod these two locos to resemble those they actually did operate. This includes 1014.011 with Rail Cargo Austria lettering. Interestingly, ZTT largely kept the 1014s in their ÖBB era appearance, and were even permitted to retain the old style logo, called "Pflatsch". However, any of ÖBB's more recent trademarks - including the Rail Cargo Austria lettering on 1014.011 - did have to be removed, although the locomotive kept the basic livery which differed from that of the rest.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2