RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

The most interesting thing about that living room is the ceiling light fixture!

It's a period piece but not that unusual. We used to have one almost identical to that in our previous house.

Dave

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

What a birthday present.😄

Now don't go expecting it every birthday! Though it would make a change to the usual resignation speeches/letters: Dear Sir/Madam/Members, As it is the 7th July 20**, I must regretfully offer my resignation in order to give Mr JW his present... 

Happy Birthday Phil. 

And a belated many happy returns to Pete for yesterday. 

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,

A big change from yesterday weather-wise. Blue sky and a hot sun. A better night was had and after a little paperwork, a walk was had. I'm glad I didn't wait until the pm. I was out in the garden a few minutes ago and could feel the sun through my shirt. Bird baths topped up...

A Labrador was encountered on the walk, it's not good weather for all that fur. He was very happy to stop in the shade for a minute while the humans wished each other good morning. If we had one, I'd be thinking about a paddling pool for the summer months, underneath the laurel in the shade would be good, even if I did have a year round leaf-fall job. Speaking of work, many or the farmers are now making hay, several of the fields which at the start of the week were alive with flowers and insects are now a bit shorter, quieter and less colourful. Thankfully I don't suffer from hay-fever. 

Mixed grills are probably rather subjective but if they were going to tempt me, I'd want some of each of the four principal meats and some variation in how each were cooked/presented. And yes, I think there's a lot of 'mileage' in non-pork sausages. Pre-pestilence, a local farmers' market had a stall selling some superb beef sausages. And another with buffalo and rare-breed meats though that's another post/conversation. Our village butcher has an award-winning gamey sausage, pork is only one of the component meats. 

And I'm going to stop there before I make myself hungry!

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

It's a period piece but not that unusual. We used to have one almost identical to that in our previous house.

Dave

Speaking of period light fixtures, just me let go in here and browse ("I'll get one of those, one of those, one of those, ..."  he says pointing in different directions):

Bulbst03.thumb.jpg.e51b92d12a671e0af0c53ca4777c4771.jpg

Fixtures similar to the one in the living room were sold (over here, anyway) under the trade name HOLOPHANE and others. They are a favorite of mine.

Here is a photo of Crouse-Hinds fixture with their version of the ribbed-glass diffuser:

173438536_VA275fixturesebay05APR10001.jpg.a09df4c4845fe8b390b94ea735d5ee92.jpg

These were on ebay (2010 according to the date on the photo) but I got seriously outbid on them!

Darn, you got me wound up on a favorite subject!! A most favorite style of C-H "VAPORTIGHT" fixture, this one is mine:

100_6568.thumb.JPG.aa0ba240d42ba1d941ef3bb9507987d9.JPG

100_6571.thumb.JPG.3a250ee1cc0d615816df318b8697c42d.JPG

The opaque milk-glass (C-H calls it "opal") globe was hard to find, but it yields a nice, soft light, like for an area night light:

100_6572.thumb.JPG.ad3d40b627470f27e19538811e3ff863.JPG

Edited by J. S. Bach
To do a minor edit.
  • Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

We had a full set of similar light fittings to Stuart's lounge in the hallway of our last house, they suited it's 1914 build, there were triple versions over the stairs.  Cost us a king's ransom, then we sold the house.....the new owners wanted them.   Pah.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Greetings all from a sunny LBG.

Happy Birthday to Phil, and belatedly to Petethemole.

Work continues. One of my colleagues has resigned. Following the redundancy of my former boss, that will leave the team at 60% strength (and lower than that in terms of experience). I assume that my new boss will find time to recruit a replacement. time will tell.

In just over two weeks time I shall be on my hols - the first time since the dreaded lurgy arose. And I shall forget all the woes of work for that period!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

The most interesting thing about that living room is the ceiling light fixture!

We have two, one at each end of the living room - they are by Jim Lawrence lighting, and are called the Foster Pendant Lights.

https://www.jim-lawrence.co.uk/foster-pendant-light/

Edited by 45156
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Tried to find an Asda today, drove round it twice without seeing it, only on the third attempt was it found down a minor side street.... And it's a big super store!!

It also the first time I've ever been to a petrol station with no kiosk, no credit card, no fuel from the 12 positions.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Mention of sausages reminded me of the Tess Coes 'New York sausage'. Only available ready cooked from the deli. More like an English sausage than anything American, the only difference is the addition of some mustard. I recall that in the then Essex County Council had a standard ceiling light fitting in the schools I attended. It was an opaque white glass bowl suspended by three or four chains. The main feature was the collection of dead flies in the bowl. When I left school they were in the process of replacing them with florescent tubes.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

…..Mixed grills are probably rather subjective but if they were going to tempt me, I'd want some of each of the four principal meats and some variation in how each were cooked/presented. And yes, I think there's a lot of 'mileage' in non-pork sausages….

I am assuming that the four principal meats are: pork, beef, lamb and chicken.

I would also add goat, wild boar, venison and duck to the list. Although goat, wild boar and venison are very lean meats and thus need to be very quickly cooked (if the cut allows for that). So wild boar, venison and goat chops would be very doable. Grilling duck would be an equally interesting challenge as the trick would be not to allow the fat rendering from the duck to flare on the coals and char the duck skin. Thigh is always a good choice for duck, goose and chicken as thighs are more robust and stand up better to grilling than a breast.

A bacon chop would not go amiss, nor would an assortment of sausages. Plus, perhaps, some quickly grilled kidneys on skewers to round everything off. A selection of potato dishes would complement the meats*

Condiments? Chutneys, mustards, Reform (club) Sauce and (if you have to) brown sauce.

To drink? None of that namby-pamby lager nonsense, what you need is a good, solid, stout, IPA or porter. For those of us whose fathers and grandfathers had the foresight to lay down a few firkins of wine in the cellar, a big red – such as a Barolo, a Malbec, Amarone or Montepulciano - would be ideal.

I think it would be great fun to host an ER mixed grill: with loads of great grilled meats and sausages, good quality alcohols to lubricate everything and erudite conversation guaranteed.

iD

* A green salad could be provided to make a desultory nod towards the “and two veg” (spuds are a veg - so we’ve got one of the two covered)

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Happy Birthday @AndrewC!

Amixed gorilla must have liver as well as kidneys, two types of sausage (pork and blackpudding is one of the too), gammon steak  rump steak, blackpudding, pork chop or a Barnsley chop, field mushrooms, eggs and some form of potato...Allhallows wirh a mugatea(or a pint of dark landlord) a dab of English mustard and..off you go

Baz

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

... we’re probably going to take no action over the doubling and redoubling of Covid infection and probably let them run riot, which will mean more hospital admissions and the already struggling NHS is going to both pressurised and unfairly blamed. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2022/07/07/covid-growing-but-cabinet-distracted/ 

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3