The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning!

Whew - really just 1.4?° outside :blink: . Time for some tea, methinks. Will need to stop by at the library in the next few days to get some books I'll need for my last exams in the second half of November. Can't really believe it'll all be over soon. But, what will come after this? :mellow:

Later ;) .

Never come across BOFL before but have just googled it!

snip

Tony

Tony

I have come across a number of these in my time, and at one point was a network manager too but must have been the anti-bofh :) but have moved on from that. All IT Departments have them. We had an experience a few weeks ago where on of our network switches that sits within another network failed so host bofh support came over took one look and said

"we need to take this over, as it is a security risk"

me: "err no the switch has failed"

bofh: "yeah but its a security risk"

me: "no this is a separate unit, you have no jurisdiction here, and besides were behind your firewall"

bofh: "your obviously not competent to manage this network, look one of your swithes has failed!"

me: "what... the switch has failed, it has nothing to do with competency!"

bofh: "right I will get a switch sent over and we will manage the network from now on."

me: "hang on a minute..." calls his boss.. he get call from said boss

bofh: "ok we'll let you manage your network this time but if you break anything else, I'll be taking over the network"

me: "thank you, your so kind. now **** off"

abreviated of course.. wot a muppet :D

tom.

Can some one explain the difference between "fast reply" and "full editor"?

I have used fast reply in word game but haven't noticed any difference.

I managed to post the pic of the new SAR livery in overseas. The problem was me.

Dd hasn't returned to rub out the chalk mark yet. I think I might have used indelible chalk.

Good morning all!

Just got into the office! It's a hearty 10c outside, completely dark so I'm guess fully okta'd up too... Apologies for my absence yesterday - I hope nobody noticed! laugh.gif

Ah well, it's Thursday everyone - One day and a half to go to see this week out! rolleyes.gif

Have a good day everybody!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. Another day of SW's latest gimmick looms, it's health and safety questionnaire time. Basically SW's water supply system in my patch can go to pot, because I'm doing the important stuff, namely sat in the amenity room at Otterbourne drinking tea filling out page after page of answers to hundreds of questions. When will these people understand that a good helping of common sense, which has always been one of my fortes, has kept me safe in nearly 45 years at work.

Numpties the lot of them.

Roll on the weekend, going to do something so I can add to my blog (does blog stand for anything?)

• RMweb Gold

I've been loking for some inedible chalk.

Actually the old stuff, before the anti-dust rubbish, was excellent for indigestion. Now it's all whiteboard markers, which are not good for the digestion.

Definately 9 oktas here this morning. Not raining but it soaks you through anyway.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Lot of oktas but no chalk or whiteboard markers. I missed any disruption as we moved to the otherside yesterday. All this wireless networking stuff is fine until you try to use it in a rather large country house built in 1724. Not my residence of course but the office. All the dear little radio wave thingies can't seem to get through the thick walls and heavily plastered ceilings. Still, I only work for a computer manufacturer so what can you expect.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold
Can some one explain the difference between "fast reply" and "full editor"?

Hi Don,

If you use Fast Reply your browser does not need to load a fresh page, so it's quicker to use.

But in Fast Reply you can't have automatic quotes, you can't have Attachments, and you can't use the Options to add a post smiley (like the yellow-arrow one I've used here).

If you start off in Fast Reply and want to change to a normal reply, click the Use Full Editor button.

regards,

Martin.

Morning all!

Think StocktonDarlington may have been looking for the Lounge on the previous forum... ;)

When I was at Uni, our Hall Committee's computer convener went out and bought a second- (or probably fourth-) hand Kray supercomputer. The thing sat in the middle of the computer room (nearly broke the lift getting it up there) for four years. Don't know if he ever got it working, but it did provide him with a lovely rubber-coated metal roller which he referred to as his LERT = Luser Existence Rectification Tool. Used to gently wallop LUSERs (little users) over the head with when they asked stupid questions. Like "Why is there a non-functioning Kray supercomputer taking up most of the room in here?" or "why did you spend money on that when you could have actually got some computers that work for people to check their email on?"...

Definitely a BOFH...

• RMweb Gold

Morning All, Lot of oktas but no chalk or whiteboard markers. I missed any disruption as we moved to the otherside yesterday. All this wireless networking stuff is fine until you try to use it in a rather large country house built in 1724. Not my residence of course but the office. All the dear little radio wave thingies can't seem to get through the thick walls and heavily plastered ceilings. Still, I only work for a computer manufacturer so what can you expect.

Cheers

Dave

The wireless thingies have a job in this house as well and it was built in 1990. I tried to get a range extender to work but failed miserably. I had no luck with the mains transmitted network either. Our new television has a network connector but wasn't anywhere near a network cable. According to the laptop there was no signal near the TV but the Belkin X box adapter I plugged in found one and the television net widget can now tell me what time it is in in Honolulu.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

RSS Fetcher is a very prolific poster.

I wonder what his reputation score will be.

..and I wonder how many posters want to be his friend! One of my students wanted to know who Mark Scheme was as he always seemed to get the right answers.

Tony

Apologies for my lateness. Letter from Mum.

Dear All

Apologies for my little lad's tardiness. He has been taking pictures of signal boxes and one of his mates insisted on a pic of the guttering. Sadly he fell off his ladder and will be hobbling for a day or two.

Old Mrs S

Whilst laid up, I've Googled away and still have no idea what a RSS Feed is all about or indeed what BOFL is......Must be me.

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for my lateness. Letter from Mum.

Dear All

Apologies for my little lad's tardiness. He has been taking pictures of signal boxes and one of his mates insisted on a pic of the guttering. Sadly he fell off his ladder and will be hobbling for a day or two.

Old Mrs S

Whilst laid up, I've Googled away and still have no idea what a RSS Feed is all about or indeed what BOFL is......Must be me.

You may be searching on my BOFL remark earlier rather than the correct BOFH as used by JohnDMJ

Dd had recommendations for guttering earlier this morning.

Tony