The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

"Dd had recommendations for guttering earlier this morning"

which may cause your umberella to either blow inside out, or collapse and dump collected rain water to drench you.

Sorry to hear you are crocked.

An excuse to sit on your special chair and test the keeping/maturing qualities of the contents of your cellar. :blink:

Apologies for my lateness. Letter from Mum.

Dear All

Apologies for my little lad's tardiness. He has been taking pictures of signal boxes and one of his mates insisted on a pic of the guttering. Sadly he fell off his ladder and will be hobbling for a day or two.

Old Mrs S

Whilst laid up, I've Googled away and still have no idea what a RSS Feed is all about or indeed what BOFL is......Must be me.

Sorry to hear the gravity of your lad's injuries, Old Mrs S. Hope the hobbling will soon pass!

BOFH = Bas***d (add, in any order you feel appropriate, the letters r, t & a) Operator From Hell and derives from a comic series of articles in the computer press several years ago about life as an IT system operator - the guy who spent many hours (as they used to that long ago) sitting in the room with the computers changing disk units, feeding punched tape or cards in,retrieving printout and putting it in the racks for the users, and sorting out problems with the users' terminals. Ah, them were t' days. All the 'screens' ran from a single computer, living in its own air conditionned room, locked away from all but the BOFHs who thus had total control over who could do what and when with their computer!

HTH!

• RMweb Gold

I remember the time when the only air conditioning was in the computer room and then later in the print room. I upset our head IT man's loyal administrator (minions shall not pass his threshold)one evening when I insisted that he really would want to know about what the malfunctioning air con was just about to do to the computer room. It was like something from a sci fi movie.

Tony

Apparently for news of RMweb soon we need to Twitter. I'm learning lots of new things this week!

Apparently for news of RMweb soon we need to Twitter. I'm learning lots of new things this week!

Not sure I can stand the pace here! What's Twitter - I've nearly gotten to grips with the idea of (note not the use of!) RSS feeds and Blogs (short, I believe for Web Logs) and am almost used to the changes that RMWeb itself has imposed on us. Now twitter??

As one of my uni posters used to say: whenever I feel like studying, I lay down until the feeling goes away.

I wonder if, if I ignore Twitter, will it go away?

Sounding more like Shakespeare's List ATM. Been waiting for hours for the 24 hours to start but it's starting to look dangerously like Much Ado About Nothing. Prove me wrong, someone, anyone, please!

(Operation to have tongue surgically removed from cheek is booked for later in the week!)

Thanks for the bookmark.

Although as the Ko Ko I have "willow tit willow tit willowed"

I haven't previously twitted.

Now I can start.

I believe the verb is "to tweet"...

Unless you're David Cameron. His excuse for not using Twitter was "too many twits [sic] make a tw*t"...

• RMweb Gold

I believe the verb is "to tweet"...

Unless you're David Cameron. His excuse for not using Twitter was "too many twits [sic] make a tw*t"...

I've just seen your Twitter page (from being one of Mr York's "followers").

Tony

Hmmm - the site still seems to be working at the moment.

Loved the BOFH posts - reminds me of the time when a Sysop was heard to utter:

"Look mate, I don't tell you how to do your job, so don't tell me how to run my VAX"

The user who dared to question the Sysop was rewarded by having his priority privileges stripped! Oh for the days of mainframes again which feeding the Sysops could result in your batch jobs executing faster (strangely enough :rolleyes:). :P

It's a lot warmer here in England than it was in Germany! B)

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm - the site still seems to be working at the moment.

Loved the BOFH posts - Oh for the days of mainframes again which feeding the Sysops could result in your batch jobs executing faster (strangely enough :rolleyes:). :P

When I was at university undergraduates on non computing courses were not supposed to submit batches of cards (this was about 1971) My project supervisor advised going in in the evening, smiling pleasantly and saying please and thank you frequently. It did seem to work.

Tony

The user who dared to question the Sysop was rewarded by having his priority privileges stripped! Oh for the days of mainframes again which feeding the Sysops could result in your batch jobs executing faster (strangely enough :rolleyes:). :P

Sounds like the role model for the BOFH!!:lol: