The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

38 minutes ago, polybear said:

CCI-Invest?  Bear's never heard of 'em, had anything to do with them or given them a review - and certainly not a glowing one.  Don't touch 'em with a bargepole.....my legal team is already on it.....

Is that the same legal team that sent CC the notarised cheques signed by a certain Polybear? Or is it the same legal team that sent CC the revised draft contract with annotations in purple ink by a certain Polybear. CC is happy to post the photographic evidence if necessary.

CC would like me to point out that a) The Bear agreed to have his comments used in publicity (it's in the contract The Bear willingly signed) and b) if Polybear needs to deny any knowledge or involvement with CCI-Invest because of significant interest by HMRC in PB's (ahem) "money moving" activities it is Not Captain Cynical's Problem.

• Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Been up in South London these past few days. Drove home over the junction of the M25 closed at Wisley this weekend. Traffic was slow but not too bad; I just kept in the outside lane...

We are just about to set off round the NE section of the M25 to Enfield. Google maps shows congestion but still quicker than going round the North Circular. 
Tony

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Just been watching the new Doctor Who from get_iplayer.  Probably going to p155 off many people here, but I thought it, particularly the second episode, was brilliant - enough scary bits, humour, and nods to Abbey Road.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not as warm as yesterday, only 21C but warm enough. Time for some lunch, a nice pork pie and some pickled onions.

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Ooooooooooooooohdear. Well that is going to get slewed back in any time soon. Not least until the track temperature has dropped back and the joint gaps opened up again. 

IMG_5928.png.51a2ae60524638ef5ae11d64bcdf0f2b.png

It must be interesting to watch something like that happen in real time.

• Like 4
  • Agree 9

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Grizz said:

D’cha know that there are some days that I know that Odin has kept his all seeing eye fixed kindly and steadily upon me. And some days the gods have other things planned for me. 

Like not putting me on call when less gifted folk have used the entirety of their F@ckwittery skill set to achieve this. 

What part of Rule 1 - DO NOT DISTURB THE BALLAST / CARRY OUT LIFTING OF THE TRACK (changing / installing new bearers on S&C ) in hot weather, didn’t you understand?. Particularly when the track temperature has jumped up +20c in a week. 

Ooooooooooooooohdear. Well that is going to get slewed back in any time soon. Not least until the track temperature has dropped back and the joint gaps opened up again. 

IMG_5928.png.51a2ae60524638ef5ae11d64bcdf0f2b.png

I wonder how the Japanese manage their track (especially the Shinkansen tracks) as it gets incredibly hot and humid in Japan between end of May and end of September.

Choice of type of track (metal used, dimensions, fastenings, ballast) perhaps?

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium

And Rabbit's 😮 moment this morning: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/may/12/workers-unhappiness-leave-beats-awaydays-work-life-balance-seminars-yoga 

Though if an employer looks after their staff, the boost to morale does help avoid such feelings anyway, so it does sort of make sense. Even if it results in some clickbait headlines! 

ION, errrm, not a lot really. Various odds and ends done, some wild flowers - very successful ones, mostly called dandelions - were declocked. A few bits organised in the garage, it's now considerably tidier and ready for the tradesmen when they turn up. A good lunch had, lamb shanks, though unfortunately there's no obvious dog to give the bones to at the moment. 

I missed the Northern Lights, both yesterday and last night, too busy zedding at the key times, though I would have liked to see them. I'm not much of a one for bucket lists but seeing the lights is something I'd like to do before time's called. 

A pleasant day outside atm, though not one to start PW stuff, for the obvious expansion reasons. Although I usually associate it with certain TV sitcoms, there's a certain phrase about there can be a lot of entertainment from people's ignorance of the laws of physics. 

27 minutes ago, pH said:

It must be interesting to watch something like that happen in real time.

It's like something out of science fiction! A supposedly inanimate object moving and changing shape in front of you. 

• Like 18

16 minutes ago, Grizz said:

...where it is increasingly difficult to get access (engineers possessions) to carry out maintenance. And even when you can get a possession you dare not run the risk of ‘Over Running’ ….as this would likely cost £20-30K per minute in fines to the train operators. 

Even more reason to replace the &£$%#wits at DfT who came up with these contracts.

Both the Swiss and the Japanese - neither adverse to making a few bob prioritise quality and safety over "cheap".

I reckon that if the railwaymen were allowed to run things (and the current privatised set-up exchanged for the Japanese one [privatised since 1987]) then very quickly would the UK regain its rightful place amongst the pinnacles of railways

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, Grizz said:

🤣 sadly not anymore…..…it’ll be notifiable to RAIB & ORR. Who will no doubt drop by shortly to ask a few general questions. 

Like please provide the following evidence. 
Up to date SMS driven Pway Inspection frequencies, last date of inspection, who by, proof of training, proof of assessment and competence. Up to date work bank, fault response against engineering standards and fault close out dates.

Med screen crews, signalling staff…..and so on. 

I’d be amazed if this hasn’t already happened. As there will be loads of evidence happily posted all over mugbook etc. 

Best bit is that I well remember the days of jacking and packing stuff back on to the road….cameras are every.where now though. 😬

Yep know what your talking about there Grizz. Happy days.

The trouble is of course that not all the footage now a days is used to assist, rather the opposite and when all the who hars evaporated the problem is still there.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Round of applause 1

Greetings (again) from trendy Shoreditch. The splendid weather saw me head out to Greenwich, NOT to the Maritime Museum but to the Royal Naval College instead.

Although not free, unlike the Maritime Museum, it did mean that the RNC in its renovation did not have to kowtow to the SJW lobby. The fact that you had to pay to get in also meant the SCT (stoopid clueless toureests) were few in number. I had a wonderful guided tour of the amazingly beautiful Painted Hall (included in the price). A decent (and non-tacky) gift-shop and a decent  cafe (which also had homemade LDC!) rounded off things.

Heartily recommended.

One other thing: yesterday, I was coerced to go to Bracknell for the EMGS show (great modelling, friendly people, great demonstrators, lousy catering) and I had to "enjoy" the pleasures of the pinnacle, of the acme of railway travel offered by Britain: the grubby, worn out trains PLUS the superb Bus Replacement Service - also consisting if a knackered and grubby double-decker. SBB and JR West (not to mention the Hankkyu and JR East railways) can rest easy

• Like 18