Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if I'm going to make it to my workshop session. Ideally I would like to go (and it would be beneficial to go) but I'm too tired. Either I go home at 12 or have the workshop session and go home a zombie at 4.30...

The last thing I want to do is lose concentration whilst operating the disc sanders or even worse the band saw!

It's not often that I don't get much sleep, but last night was one of those nights.

• RMweb Premium

Good luck, Don - be well quickly!

Jam, I can well relate to you. These days, I'm often feeling like I'm dropping dead as soon as I get home... As I said some days ago, being a pocket mouse and having an average 20 hours of sleep per day may have its benefits! :lazy:

Good day all, been netless since last night, but seems to be OK on this project site (even if trying to write this in a blacksmiths shop!)

Don, just hope that all goes well for you, fingers crossed this side of the continent!

Yup its Friday, this time next week I'll be airport bound!

Have a good un all.

Trev.

• RMweb Gold

Evening, doubt if Don will read this but hope all goes well.

Probably the only one on here not glad it's Friday - start call out 20-00 tonight, gonna be a busy one too if this week's anything to go by.

Never mind, have a good weekend.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not glad it's Friday - too many people about at the Weekend.

Best, Pete.

Just me and the dog at the moment. I suspect my wife will be home in time for Gardeners World Christmas Special (9pm BBC2, for those in the UK!)

Tony

The last thing I want to do is lose concentration whilst operating the disc sanders or even worse the band saw!

It's not often that I don't get much sleep, but last night was one of those nights.

Wise comment, Jam!

I hate using bandsaws, but I've had to; still have a full set of fingers & thumbs!

If the math is worrying you, give me a shout! I think you have my contact details!

Don: hope all is well on the medical front. Best Wishes!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John. I'm sure with a bit of practise I'll get there! Thanks for the offer though.

And yes, band saws are lethal things. We were obviously never allowed to use them at my school and in fact we were told we needed special training to use it - I know we certainly haven't had what I would call training. However, at the end of the day it's all down to common sense!

The dodgy bit with using them today was not my tiredness (I went outside to allow the cold air to wake me up a bit) but the type of material we had to cut - styrene. We were doing some vacuum forming and had to trim the bottom of the vacuum formed part. Because there is a ledge/lip around the outside the saw caused the plastic to vibrate and kick out a bit which I wasn't quite prepared for. I held the material properly so it was all safely handled though. I also learnt how to use a 'gerbil'!

No worries, Jam, offer remains open; just shout!

The FIRST thing to learn about using ANY machine tool is 'where is the stop button'!

If the plastic's kicking about, then you need to change the blade in the saw. I've used blades with no teeth to cut some materials!

Now, I thought you were doing something engineering-related; what you do with your gerbil should stay off topic!! (Just joking!)

• RMweb Gold

Yes, the stop button was the first thing we were told to find before anything else. The foot brake on the band saw was also shown to us to. The blade did seem quite sharp as it cut the MDF I was using earlier very well, but I guess plastic is a whole different kettle of fish.

I have to admit, I was a bit bewildered by the use of a gerbil in the workshop until I found out what it really was!

BTW, the maths is basically stress/strain, vectors, bending/deflection(of beams), engineering notation, moments/forces and shear forces. Interestingly, one of the hardest parts is converting all the different units to the SI unit in an equation - particularly when you are given some measurements in mm, cm, Pa, kg/m2 etc etc. It's just remembering to change it to the SI unit. I'm going to get a friend to help me over the weekend so hopefully I'll feel at least a bit more prepared for the test! I'm aiming for anywhere over 40% since 40% is a pass. Anything greater is a bonus!

Yes, the stop button was the first thing we were told to find before anything else. The foot brake on the band saw was also shown to us to. The blade did seem quite sharp as it cut the MDF I was using earlier very well, but I guess plastic is a whole different kettle of fish.

Finer blade, different blade speed, different rate of feed?

I have to admit, I was a bit bewildered by the use of a gerbil in the workshop until I found out what it really was!

BTW, the maths is basically stress/strain, vectors, bending/deflection(of beams), engineering notation, moments/forces and shear forces. Interestingly, one of the hardest parts is converting all the different units to the SI unit in an equation - particularly when you are given some measurements in mm, cm, Pa, kg/m2 etc etc. It's just remembering to change it to the SI unit. I'm going to get a friend to help me over the weekend so hopefully I'll feel at least a bit more prepared for the test! I'm aiming for anywhere over 40% since 40% is a pass. Anything greater is a bonus!

You have a choice here: you can either get a pass or you can understand what you're doing. From my own recent inside experience, schools today teach how to get the answer by rote rather than why that is the answer.

My offer stands, but I guess that there are many other degree-qualified engineers on this forum who would also be willing to assist.

On any decent engineering drawing you will find the phrase: 'If in doubt, ASK!'.

Never forget: the art of engineering is knowing where to look!

• RMweb Gold

Jam, If the maths is an important part of your course I'd recommend you getting all the help you can as while it is important to get a pass grade, you don't want to be always struggling to make do. If the maths is something you won't need (rather unlikely!) again then a pass would do I suppose.

Matthew had a course this year that required him to do a practical exam interpreting satellite images. These are false colour images. He has very poor colour vision, and no amount of tweaking with the palette, contrast or brightness was possible for him to distinguish anything, so the examiner told him to leave and not worry about this test. They gave him a fail mark. Fortunately he didn't need to resit the whole topic as he had achieved enough marks in other sections of that module and it isn't anything he'll need to do again.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Still dark here and there has been a light frost overnight.

Club Christmas Lunch today. It will be held at our old venue in Hatfield Peverel making it a shorter journey for me than where we meet now.

My latest idea - to buy broken spares/repair locos on HellsKitchen in order to learn how to service and repair them has fallen at the first hurdle.

Folk are paying almost as much for reasonable examples as it costs to buy the 'runners'.

When added to the cost of any replacement parts needed, it is doomed to failure.

My thirst for knowledge in that direction has been quenched.

Chilly start here.

Hope Don is doing OK.

• RMweb Gold

My thirst for knowledge in that direction has been quenched.

I have obtained a few bargains in the past that were very easy to repair. I find the hardest task often is getting the body off.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Tried sleeping in a bit longer today, but was only moderately successful. I believe one item on today's agenda will be getting a Christmas tree - preferably a good one as I'd rather not have tonnes of needles on the floor well before Christmas proper.

Cheers everyone!