The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Here's the whole concerto SNIP here's a clip of the part of it used in the film (I think as the the theme?)

Thanks for that - in fact that is just the third movement, as I posted, but with live performers rather than the stills of the composer. The theme for the film has a rather different tempo, and a few twiddly bits to make it a tad more accessible, no doubt, to the average filmgoer - inevitable.

Debs' reference to making love badly no doubt applies to many of us! It wasn't part of the school curriculum, although one suspected one male teacher had added to a particular 6th form girl's understanding of what to expect, at least. At a reunion in June, when I mentioned the teacher, a fellow pupil (who left in 1964!) immediately named the girl!

As for "titter-ye-not" the redoubtable history teacher, Miss Macaulay (what else would she have taught?) once made life very difficult for some boys by showing them some fine art involving nudes - and then asking "Why, when I show you a picture of a naked woman, do you have to titter?"

• Like 4

Guest Max Stafford

Cars are a flam in' pain. Heard from the garage twenty minutes back. Paperwork for the driveshaft arrived this morning but not the part! Supplier in Newcastle has screwed up so one of the mechanics has driven to meet their guy halfway. Not expected back until 3.30. Looks like a second wasted day. Was going to have a ride out somewhere too. Never mind. Gets me back into a correct mindset for work on Monday morning.

• RMweb Gold

Ive tried to listen to the piano concerto and I've decided that it is the piano bit that doesn't appeal to me. Piano as an accompaniment to voice is fine though!

I've never seen Brief Encounter though I recognise the homages to it in other classics like the one in one of the Wallace and Gromit films.

I'll see if I can think of anything else that reduces my lack of culture!

What a day. I've had five emails from different companies all informing me they "won't go further with my application". I'm not even getting to the interview stage now :( I'm counting the pennies and knowing that, really, I have to put all my modelling plans on hold indefinitely. It feels a bit crushing after what felt like it was going to be the year where I started to really push ahead in the world, but common sense has to prevail, especially for the sake of my partner and our plans for a flat and everything else.

I could have it so much worse though, so perhaps I should be less down than I am, but I do feel a bit - meh, I don't know. Perhaps it's not the lack of jobs but the lack of secure jobs anywhere that is hitting people the most.

• RMweb Gold

I could have it so much worse though, so perhaps I should be less down than I am, but I do feel a bit - meh, I don't know. Perhaps it's not the lack of jobs but the lack of secure jobs anywhere that is hitting people the most.

You,re right, and I agree with you, but to hit the 'like this' button seemed inappropriate.

I do hope the job market for you (and others) picks up, and soon.

Regards

Richard

edit for spelyng

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 8

Something is very wrong with a system when so many people who are willing to work and have considerable talent to offer cannot get jobs. I hope things change soon for all in this dreadful position.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I always felt that I'd be bagning her in the Waiting Room before halfway through the movie....

Bagning?

It wasn't you who came up with the slogan for that famous T-shirt company was it?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm wearing one of those Tshirts now!

I sympathise with Simon and any other job seekers in this day and age - it's also making me feel a tad guilty as I have a secure, reasonably well paid job from which I can't wait to escape. Mind you I have been at work for 47 years now.

Just waiting for el of a davo to chauffeur me to Wickham to set up Cramdin ready for the weekend. Only going to be able to do tomorrow though as Laura and family are coming over on Sunday, it's their last day in the UK before moving to Germany.

I'm getting fed up with goodbyes.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Something is very wrong with a system when so many people who are willing to work and have considerable talent to offer cannot get jobs. I hope things change soon for all in this dreadful position.

Second that. I may be touching on politics here and will thus make do with a general statement – but I am getting more and more of the feeling that a "reboot" may actually be the best option, given the current state of both the economy as a whole and the job market specifically. And even more so if the trend of increasing efficiency across the board should continue.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have just been chatting to a neighbour who works for the council. He tells me that their gritting teams have been given an advanced snow 'alert' for Wednesday onward. I had heard tell that a cold October had been forecast but this early?

• RMweb Gold

I have just been chatting to a neighbour who works for the council. He tells me that their gritting teams have been given an advanced snow 'alert' for Wednesday onward. I had heard tell that a cold October had been forecast but this early?

The 10 day forecast for this part of the world suggests sunny with some showers, lowest night temp of 7C and between 12 and 15C daytime.

Snow!! good job it doesn't hang around to long on the coast but that seems to be early.Makes me feel good no commute between Seaham and Chester-le-Street anymore.Mind I miss the view from top of Copt Hill

Edited by simon hudson
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The 10 day forecast for this part of the world suggests sunny with some showers, lowest night temp of 7C and between 12 and 15C daytime.

We're just below 16°C right now after a windy afternoon. Forecast suggests we'll be in for a mixed bag of sunny periods followed by rain for the next several days, with maximum daytime temperature dropping to around 14°C by the middle of next week.

I did some spag carbonara for dinner and am now enjoying a calm evening, with wind outside and some classical music in here.

"My Dad used to love to watch cricket being played on Forest Green."

... and I enjoyed playing it.

I never did it but the main aim was to hit some part of the Parrot Inn.

Don't remember that anyone else did it either.

I do remember however that us lads were made very welcome at the hatch at the rear of said Inn.

Mostly Cider I think.

• Like 1

Bagning?

It wasn't you who came up with the slogan for that famous T-shirt company was it?

Now! There's an diea!

Best, Pete,

I had too many genteel "teas" with a certain pair of Great Aunts - one of whom, I found out after she died, was a paid up, enthusiastic member of the British League of Fascists before WW2..................

Best, Pete.

I sympathise with Simon and any other job seekers in this day and age - it's also making me feel a tad guilty as I have a secure, reasonably well paid job from which I can't wait to escape. Mind you I have been at work for 47 years now.

Phil, you've got nothing to be guilty for. You've done your time and then some, and earned your retirement years in the taxes you've paid to this country.

There's no easy fix to the jobs market or the economy, no easy answers. Just one of those things, have to keep trying.

• Like 3

Guest Max Stafford

Car update No. XXVIII; collected from garage at 17:00, took for test drive to Penton and back via Canonbie and Longtown. Pull up at traffic lights on A7 roundabout above Junc 44 on M6. Move off from lights, shaft pops out, causing loss of drive. In centre lane of roundabout. At 1800. In full rush hour flow. Get shove into side by two passing traffic cops - cheers guys! Call AA, there in 15Mins. Running repair. Move off carefully, followed by AA guy. Dump at Garage. Lift home. Laptop on. Start looking for new car!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, Dave. I'd certainly require some booze after a day like that! Touch wood I'll be able to avoid that...

Glad to hear that aside from the usual nerve casualties, it would appear no-one was hurt, though.