Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all , just .

after a somewhat restless night and a subsequent late rising I've made it .

Had to do the paper run before the threatened rain arrived so thatys why I'm late .

Off for a much needed haircut shortly , not that it improves my looks .

Right , time to get the rest of the day starrted .

Don, now that fox hunting is illegal, the majority of hunts do drag hunts, I think. Someone takes a scent across a route, and the horses and hounds follow that scent.

Interestingly, they claim that since the ban came into force, there are more people attending hunts.

Another beautiful sunny day in Edinburgh today, though definitely on the nippy side.

Today's attempt to plummet to earth from a record breaking height over Roswell got me thinking.

If a cartoon character was to attempt this feat, which one would have the most appropriate name?

My money would be on "Elmer Fudd". <_<

I'll get me coat.

Guest Max Stafford

Beautiful morning down here to Mike. Bright blue sky and wispy Cirrus clouds. Just walking about and met a beautiful wee Staffy called Roo in the car park. Almost lunchtime!

• RMweb Gold

Chris was bitten as a child & has been scared ever since but dogs do seem to like her and approach her in a friendly way. She won't touch them & moves away immediately. If they are a bit boisterous she gets really worried & I don't think she'll ever change.

Bob

I think a friendly dog approaching someone who doesn't like dogs must be quite terrifying. When I was about two I was knocked over by a dalmatian and although I no longer remember the incident was scared of dogs for many years after. People used to let dogs wander about in those days and I can remember crossing a busy dual carriageway walking back from infant school to avoid a probably harmless boxer that lived on the way home. Going to my uncle's farm in 1962 must have cured the dog dislike. He had about 6 sheepdogs. I was warned that they were working dogs not used to children etc but they were very friendly. Not true of Uncle Duncan's blue roan working cocker spaniel though, she was a nasty tempered creature that only liked my uncle! It did at least teach me that not all dogs were nasty though. Odd that I should end up with a blue roan cocker though!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

Well the shopping's done, the 'paper is bought, some (not much) clearing up has been done and I suppose it's coming up to time to get the foresight on my air rifle adjusted so I really can aim to hit somewhere painful instead of having to say 'welI I just meant to scare him officer but it seems that the sights are a bit off' (and without letting him know that it means the pellet drops, consistently, to about 5 o'clock off the aiming point by about 7 inches at c.100ft).

Now to look at RMweb.

• RMweb Premium

My uncle had a huge German mastiff when I was a kid. I still vividly remember how I would cling to my mum's side when we visited him, as the dog had been as tall as I had been at the time, and thus been rather frightening to my mind... :O Consequently, there'd been little point in the grown-ups assuring me that "she won't bite", also since the dog had been a bit on the dim side, shall we say. Even today, I can't say I am very fond of large dogs – except for Labradors and Golden Retrievers, perhaps.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It probably is good that most dogs are friendly. It is amazing just how strong their jaws are. If Robbie (and I don't think cockers count as a particularly strong jawed variety) found a golf ball he could crack it open. He stopped doing that when he was about two and eventually realised that they didn't contain food!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A friend has two gigantic Newfoundlands.

Very welcoming, which means All In Wrestling for ten minutes until they get shut out.

My friend (the one who has George the giant Yorkie) who does dog boarding and grooming sometimes has a Newfoundland to stay for the weekend. He is a really affectionate, gentle dog but covers everything below about 3 foot from the ground with slobber.

Seen today at my local garage today: "After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF!"

Very entertaining place, check "Frank's Auto Repair" of Fanwood, NJ on the 'web.

This morning he had two Corvettes in - one a dodgy late sixties one, the other a beautiful earlier white 427 ci "Stingray" (not all Corvettes are Stingrays).

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Just checking in, having discovered that yesterday's post has disappeared.

I saw a mention a few pages back about locos with garden sheds over the smokebox and front buffer beam. These were indicator shelters, and were used for housing test equipment and I think operators when measuring a loco's performance.

I've had a read of all the comments about dogs, and there is a training technique now used, called bite inhibition. The idea is that the puppy is allowed to nibble, but then the niblee pulls the nibbled limb away and either calls "ouch" or a high pitched "OOOOWWW" like their fellow puppies or mum would - the idea being that they quickly learn that biting is not acceptable. The theory is set out here on Lily's breeder's website

http://www.quarrsussexspaniels.co.uk/puppies.html

Tea's ready, so

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Evening All

I've had a read of all the comments about dogs, and there is a training technique now used, called bite inhibition. The idea is that the puppy is allowed to nibble, but then the niblee pulls the nibbled limb away and either calls "ouch" or a high pitched "OOOOWWW" like their fellow puppies or mum would - the idea being that they quickly learn that biting is not acceptable. The theory is set out here on Lily's breeder's website

Although Robbie can still chew his toys, old plant pots and broken bricks he like all puppies chewed people and objects speculatively at first. I just gently picked him up and said "no" and he didn't do it again. I was able to spend a lot of time with him when we we first acquired him so he had plenty of supervision. He was really easy to house train as well, which was fortunate as initially Aditi didn't really want a dog.

• RMweb Premium

A long time ago I drove a Mustang on the streets of LA it squealed the tires fine but sounded wrong I looked under the bonnet and it was two cylinders short of a proper Mustang. I flew to New York and hired a VW Rabbit.......

Just heard from a friend who lives near Machynlleth.

On the night that the little girl disappeared he and his wife were driving over Dovey Bridge in heavy rain at about 5.45pm.

A man was wandering in the middle of the bridge wearing waders.

When they heard locally that the chap arrested was wearing waders they phoned the cops and made a statement.

Local gossip says that the accused has a daughter of similar age.

The father of the missing child is blind.

The bloke next to her on the TV appeal was the mother's FiL.

The arrested man was (at some time) trying it on with the mother.

That's all.

Lots we are not told of course and the above could be just gossip without proper information.

Edited by DDolfelin

Good morning all!

Once again a clear start to the day with a South East wind at 15kph.

I think that this is going to be the standard for some weeks to come.

Although I can't say that Summer has arrived, I can say that Winter is definitely over.

Morning All,

It is a dark and chilly morning here - not helped by the fact that I would rather still be in bed!

Still, I have to be up to take delivery of a new dishwasher. The old one decided to quit doing the job it was intended for.

(Before anyone says it, I mean the electrical/ mechanical variety!)

Have a good day everyone...

Good morning to those who are awake!

Another foggy one here! Hope it's a good day for you all. Shingles is shifting and I'm able to go out now without becoming too tired. Anti viral tablets seem to have helped.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning Everyone,

Dark here but clear skies (I can actually see the stars for once) 8oC.

Morning taxi run complete so I'm in charge till the "boss" needs collecting from work at 12.15.

Apart from a bit of housework nothing planned so I might do some modelling playing with trains.

Have a good one,

Regards,

Bob

Morning all, the sky is starting to brighten toward the East, just hope it stays dry enough to day to get a couple of containers unloaded.

....and the blo**y cockerels still at it, but at least he's drowning out the "call " from the local Mosque!

Good to hear that recovery is progressing Ash,

What ever you're up to try and enjoy some thing...

Trev.

• Like 1