The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

"trigger thumb". One of my earliest memories was getting ny first toy cowboy gun and not having a strong enough forefinger to "fire" it. I ran down the road shooting baddies behind me by pointing it over my shoulder and pulling the trigger with my thumb

Ed

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Have we finished with the sax yet? I need to take the cheese out of my ears.

Although having said that Jerry Rafferty's Baker Street would be quite appropriate, as I've just finished mixing up a wholemeal loaf (by hand).

As Dr Quinn would have said : She's resting now!

Regards

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Went down to Saxmundham, for my "lunch" break, to photograph the DRS 57s on the RHTT, they were in the station at 15:00 and got the road at 15:15 (cue more lightweight signal photos) but where was the light ? 1/400s at iso 6400 - looks like the afternoon one needs either travelling further afield or abandoning until next year.

Ed - you were lucky yours had a trigger, one of my earliest "cowie guns" (cowboy) was a solid block, I used to point and shout "Bang!"

I've just finished mixing up a wholemeal loaf (by hand).

Dance mix of Bat out of Hell ?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We took the easy way out and played the Indians, bows n arruz made of suitable 'wood' courtesy of council gardens outside our houses. The chalk lumps from the shrubbery floor were excellent for pavement drawings and marking out hopscotch.

Alternatively, we had rockets with caps - you just had to throw them onto a suitable surface to get your 'bang'.

Who said, only boys had all the fun? :triniti:

This appeared in duplicate :scratchhead:

Now edited out

Edited by southern42

"Or should that be "Bap out of Hell" "

We know it's Friday when the quips keep coming!

Many thanks for all the kind and funny comments re the kettle (now recovered) and my thumb which is in a state of shock after receiving a LA then a steroid injection. As this was my first visit to our local Torbay Hospital since moving here, I was impressed with the level of care and efficiency. The doctor who carried out the procedure was Asian and, on aplplying the iodine to my hand and arm, jokingly commented, "You'll leave here looking the same as me!" Apparently I have a "thick sheath" surrounding my thumb tendon and a very deformed thumb (I'm trying not to develop a complex about this!)

The good news is that, since I'm forbidden to drive for 24 hours, O/H will have to drive to Brixham this evening for a concert we've booked, being given by The Budapest Cafe Orchestra. Every cloud.....................! :boast:

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Panary update: kneaded, proven, baked and now being-eaten (with some gorgeous Roquefort and Maytag cheeses and a glass of wine).

I`m in cheesy/bready Heaven! :angel:

The simple pleasures are always the best.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Canal (sorry*) the posts are coming thick and fast today.

Definitely misty out there - went over to Reading on the train this afternoon and standing on the platform at Twyford I couldn't even see Lands End, by the time we came back a couple of hours later I couldn't even see halfway to Lands End and it was getting murkier. The new Reading station (or rather the new bits of Reading station) continues to rapidly emerge from the building site - definitely beginning to look a bit more like a fancy supermarket, complete with great big windows over the running lines with no apparent - as yet - means of cleaning them.

* if you don't know the story of the little girl who kept on telling her foster family not to say 'canal' you won't have understood that, but then you might have heard about that little girl ... ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Panary update: kneaded, proven, baked and now being-eaten (with some gorgeous Roquefort and Maytag cheeses and a glass of wine).

I`m in cheesy/bready Heaven! :angel:

I had to Google Maytag cheese. I'm rather ignorant about American cheeses. I think the only choices offered during our trip to the US were American, Swiss or Jack. Matthew did comment that there didn't seem to be much cheese choice in Calgary. Though he did say he had only been to Walmart, Safeway and Asian supermarkets so far. I'm sure there will be other cheese shops somewhere.

• Like 1

I had to Google Maytag cheese. I'm rather ignorant about American cheeses. I think the only choices offered during our trip to the US were American, Swiss or Jack. Matthew did comment that there didn't seem to be much cheese choice in Calgary. Though he did say he had only been to Walmart, Safeway and Asian supermarkets so far. I'm sure there will be other cheese shops somewhere.

Maytag Blue Cheese is gorgeous; so creamy and very much a flavour of Iowa............I spent several years in my early career in Iowa, working for Rockwell Collins Aerospace in Cedar Rapids; Maytag was the 'State cheese' of Eastern Iowa.

Not at all like the usual fatty, bright-orange, synthetic, cheese-fodder normally associated with the modern U.S palate.

"a very deformed thumb"

That explains why the cars keep stopping. Mayhem.

I go to Aldi regularly every ten years.

Today I bought a chunk of Bris for under £1.

Also 12 small Becks for under £7.

SWMBO spent £50 on bits and pieces.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I took a personal timeout today and watched a BTF DVD - both discs - that I hadn't seen before. Sobering stuff, especially Dr Richard Beeching explaining the ideas behind restructuring the railway. Earlier I had lit the bonfire - only to discover that the scant breeze was deffo in the wrong direction, and thus my smoke was going straight across the road - 200 ft away - and into my only neighbour's place. I extinguished it after 20 mins. Actually I'm not supposed to have a bonfire at all, according to Commune rules. Recyc is the way, they say.

Bris, or at least BRIS, is to me the rump of infrastructure engineering expertise left in BR after Railtrack set sail on 1.4.94, and which I spent the next couple of years helping to privatise. It is thus a lot more comfortable than Tony S's suggested Google. In my generation (b 1948), that little operation was performed irrespective of faith - my parents conspicuously lacked any! I'm sure I read many years ago that cervical cancer is almost unknown among Jewish ladies - food for thought, as it were.

• Like 2

I took a personal timeout today and watched a BTF DVD - both discs - that I hadn't seen before. Sobering stuff, especially Dr Richard Beeching explaining the ideas behind restructuring the railway. Earlier I had lit the bonfire...

Bonfire... best place for Beeching's plans...

"Or should that be "Bap out of Hell" "

We know it's Friday when the quips keep coming!

I'm having Oasis Soup. (You get a Roll With It). :slow:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The loaf came out of the oven, like a 'bap out of hell' to be replaced by a 'Megga Pie'

This is really only an enhanced cottage pie, with a mashed top of potato, sweet potato, carrot and parsnip covered in double gloucester cheese(with chives).

The meaty layer had mushrooms and some petit pois small peas added to the gravy, onions and lean mince.

Goes down nice with a glass of cider and some Branston Pickle.

My daughter is home for the weekend from Reading, so the Happy Hippo laundry department is now in full swing.

(P'raps I should sent her around to prey on Mr and Mrs Stationmaster?) :no:

Regards

Richard

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My daughter is home for the weekend from Reading, so the Happy Hippo laundry department is now in full swing.

(P'raps I should sent her around to prey on Mr and Mrs Stationmaster?) :no:

Richard

1. Can she cut firewood?

2. Can she mix concrete and clean the mixer afterwards?

3. Does she actually communicate with the household after coming in of an evening?

4. Is she a Norwich fan?

5. How's her woodworking skills?

6. What does she eat?

The right combination of answers obtains permission to enter, the wrong combination could result in permanent expulsion from the Thames Valley (and in this misty weather that might be no bad thing).

• Like 4

.........an enhanced cottage pie, with a mashed top of potato, sweet potato, carrot and parsnip covered in double gloucester cheese(with chives).

The meaty layer had mushrooms and some petit pois small peas added to the gravy, onions and lean mince.

That`s going straight into "Deb`s Big Book of Cheese Recipes" :yes:

My youngest dog absolutely adores cheese, and I imagine if a lottery win were to happen here at Collie Towers; his share would be spent on a "Big, U.K Cheese Tour": Lancashire, Cheshire, Wensleydale, Stilton, Leicester, Gloucester etc......and of course; Cheddar Gorge (that`d be the place, and the activity!). :mosking:

• Like 4