Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

`Had a message from a friend this morning:

"Since early this morning it's been snowing here and it is  nearly 8" deep, and still falling.

The temperature is dropping way below zero and the north wind is increasing to nearly gale force.

Jan has done nothing all day but look through the kitchen window and just stare.

If it gets much worse, I may have to let her in."

I replied:

"Take pity on her, John.............

.........draw the curtains!"

:mosking: ........... :jester: ............. :laugh:

• Like 10

Good Afternoon All,

Belated condolences Don. I've been absent for the same reason. My dear old MiL passed away last Monday afternoon.

As you can imagine my wife & her sisters are very upset but at the same time we are all relieved that their mum is no longer suffering.

Regards

Bob.

Sorry Bob, condolences to all. It seems this autumn / winter has seen more than "the normal quota" of departures. Hope all cope OK.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My condolences to both Don and Bob, family losses are always so sad.

It's not snowed much in Telford, although it is threatening to do so again.

With about 3 inches of snow down, it's quite easy to get about, especially if you are walking, because the usual rat race of traffic on the lanes around here is non existent.

Elsa is certainly enjoying her walks in the snow, and the exercise is certainly doing me a lot of good.

One bit of good news is from our local model railway club: We started a junior modellers section last year, and the club has now decided that they (the juniors) deserve their own layout to work on. We've already had donations of baseboards, surplus models from other club members and a gift of cash.

Can I persuade them to go down the hand laid track route rather than the Peco cop out.

Regards

Richard

Edit for spellin un gramma

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Looks like we're in the beravement scenarios again, so condolences to Bob - sorry I'm late.  I've not been on for a day or two, and am now well behind on the catching up stakes.

I had a nasty do last night, as I took a basal dose of my insulin last night, and took the wrong one - rapid instead of slow, and I had to call 111 for advice - the first person I spoke to was an operator who spent more time asking about my bowels than anything else, then finally took details of my actual problem, and said I would get a callback.  I told him again what had happened, and that all I really needed was advice as to how to self-manage this - as it can be self managed, but a little guidance is helpful.  The after a break, a forceful nurse came on the line, asked many of the same questions, and put my question onto a computer database, which came up with an IMMEDIATE referral to A&E - and she would not go back on that, as that was what her system said.  By then, I had started to monitor my blood sugar, and was able to tell her that it was up at 12.2, so I was in no immedate danger.  So she said a GP would call me back - I managed to push my bloods up to 16.4 before the rapid insulin kicked in and pulled it back to about 14 - which was where it was when the Dr phoned back nearly two hours later - by which time the danger was past, as the insulin metabolises within two hours.

Anyway, I'm here to tell the story, and I can say that the 111 service (a bit like NHS direct) is pretty hopeless as it relies on computer diagnostics, and not on any human thinking - the GP said that for my case, staying at home where I had my meter, and access to starchy and sugary supplies was by far the best thing to do.

Hey ho

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 10

Just realised that it's the older dog's eleventh birthday today. Sandy was born in Dogs Trust Glasgow on 19 January 2002, came to us in July 2005 and has been a wonderful companion ever since. We chose her because she got along with our then old dog whose litter sister had had to be PTS after inoperable liver cancer was diagnosed, and became Holly's companion and supporter for the next year an a half. After Holly died aged 16 in 2007 we got Kerry, her real birthday is unknown as she was an Irish stray. so we celebrate hers on St Patrick's Day.

Sandy - 3rd July 2005 when I met her

post-5402-0-46441100-1358618281_thumb.jpg

Sandy Summer 2012 at Porth Kidney just down from St Ives towards Hayle

post-5402-0-71145600-1358618105_thumb.jpg

And in October 2007

post-5402-0-59521200-1358618397_thumb.jpg

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

by which time the danger was past, 

Anyway, I'm here to tell the story,  ...

Glad to read that. I think I'd rather sit surrounded by sweets and cakes than sit in A&E.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

More or less what the Doctor said as well

Aditi used to ask advice from her sister and her sister's husband (both doctors) but after being told she was stupid she doesn't ask medical advice from that bit of her family any more. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2

Close shave, Stewart - could have been serious.

Hope all OK now.

Here's some good news (especially for Debs).

Today's good deed was to save this dog which was about to be shot for chasing sheep.

I managed to catch it and it has been in the Sun Room most of the afternoon while we searched for an owner.

It's a bitch with a very affectionate nature and is now at North Clwyd Animal Rescue Centre for seven days quarantine before going for re-homing.

If we find the owner (pic. on the village notice board) it will cost them £60 to get it back.

Here she is in a very poor picture:

post-7041-0-02682000-1358619023.jpg

Kindly lean to the right to view.

Edited by DDolfelin
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Close shave, Stewart - could have been serious.

Hope all OK now.

Thanks - yes if I hadn't realised I'd used the wrong pen, then I'd have gone to bed and my blood sugar might have fallen to a dangerous level, but as it was, I stuffed with sugar, bread, etc and stayed awake until about 2am to make sure there was no problem - I'm changing the way that I keep my insulin now, to a method which will hopefully mean it doesn't happen again

• Like 3

Just realised that it's the older dog's eleventh birthday today. Sandy was born in Dogs Trust Glasgow on 19 January 2002, came to us in July 2005 and has been a wonderful companion ever since.

:angel: .......... :tender: ........... :wub:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not at all impressed with the 'tele-care' you recvd,, Stewart......mercifully, you knew yourself and your own body`s needs: well done that man! :boast:

Thanks Debs - I've been diabetic for long enough to know what's going on - as soon as I knew what I'd done, I got a banana sandwich - lots of starch, slow release sugars, and also a very sweet cup of coffee (to stop me dozing off) and a couple of biscuits.  Once the meter reached 16, I knew that the amount of insulin I'd taken would not put me into a hypo.

The Dr who called back was a diabetic trained GP, so fully agreed with me - hope that he manages to teach the nurse to LISTEN to the patient, and not just to follow the diagnostics and results on her screen.

Remember this, Stewart?

Had this song going through my head today so tracked it down and it brought back some memories from 1978 (not the eighties)....

Of course it only reached 42 in the UK.....

The geezer singing, Paul Roberts was already a successful Ultra- Realist painter represented by the Nicholas Treadwell Gallery in London so Sniff & The Tears was very much a side issue for him (painted the artwork seen on the drum skin)

Good Song, though!

Here he is, today:http://www.paulrobertspaintings.co.uk/Biography.html

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear of your loss Bob I hope your wife soon begins to remember the good times with her Mum.

John it looks like your care of dogs is very good, not only do they look fit, healthy and happy but live to a good age.

DD that dog does not look like it would worry a cat let alone a hill ewe!

At the end of the you tube clip Pete was The Knack and My Sharona another 80's tune I like!

Edited by skipepsi
  • Like 1