Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tony.  I'm not sure that Bouchier even quote 3" posts.  On that basis and my own experience I would agree with the quality based company that 3" posts are likely to be inadequate for the job.

I don't ever recall seeing a three inch concrete post. 

Ok, I'll go back to the chosen company and ask for more details (I may be having humble pie rather than world cuisine!).

But my original point was that the losing company claimed the sole difference was the quality of the posts, thereby justifying an extra £55 per post. The Bouchier price for a 100mm post seems to be around £20.  Case proven, m'lud?  

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Ok, I'll go back to the chosen company and ask for more details (I may be having humble pie rather than world cuisine!).

But my original point was that the losing company claimed the sole difference was the quality of the posts, thereby justifying an extra £55 per post. The Bouchier price for a 100mm post seems to be around £20.  Case proven, m'lud?  

Andy

Definitely clarify with the original company then haggle, the 3" company could give you a better deal on 4" than the displeased unsuccessful bidder?

At the bottom of page 5 is a ball park price per 3.0m run which would suggest a price of circa £80 for the components per 3m bay.  Not sure if you have stated what the total run length would be, but that price may help.  With VAT it's coming out around £100 per 3m.  I would be guessing, but the cost of labour and profit would probably be the same as the material cost.  Of course I may be miles out, but to do the job properly would require at least two, or probably three guys and it's not a five minute job.  

Just remember, the quicker they put it up, the quicker it will fall down.....:-)

Unless they're on an hourly rate in which case the opposite will apply....

• RMweb Gold

3 inch concrete posts are okay for fences under 6 foot, 6 foot and above 4 inch, that is the recommendation of my mate who runs a firm locally making concrete fencing posts. He does produce 3 inch but tells me in reality he makes/sells few as 4 inch is the standard.

I know this as I replaced some fencing last year, on another note really pleased managed to clean the patio and flags today, dry and sun was a bonus though its just started raining!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

re the crew curry, to be fair it was hotter than the officers curry by a factor of about 10!  Geordies are weaned on curry....I used to eat them seriously hot, but less so nowadays.

Our food was always good on the Chinese and Indian crewed ships, but less so on the English crewed ones!  Moslty depended upon the Purser/Chief Steward really.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Wow - what a catch up.

Taken so long that I'm out of time to put anything meaninful on here except that since the accident, we seem to be a hotline number for ambulance chasers - the SAME company has called many times - a different caller each time.

Anyhow off to make the tea...

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 1

Evenin all,  spared a thought for all those stuck in UK's overcrowded commuter trains.....they could have to travel like this......though what happens when the rain started...the coaches them selves were packed to the roofs in side, and a goodly number on top. ....

Enjoy whats left of the day, 

Trev

post-4282-0-84789900-1363718775.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

why not get a supplier to quote for the materials only mainly panels and posts  for both heavy duty and lightweight posts then you can get some idea of the different charges for labour. I don't know if they have also included concrete gravel boards, worthwhile in my opinion. Also what is the site like if it is rather exposed you need something strong.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just managed to get my camera to download some pictures I took of some new arrivals.

i cannot hope to compete with Beast for quality, but they have a certain beast about them (literally)

The first is one of the twins born on Sunday. One of each, shown here with mum.

post-6195-0-22467400-1363732181.jpg

The second is mum and son. he was born this morning and is a pedigree Hereford.

Again, shown with mum, who was making all sorts of grunting noises. She was not happy that the dog was in the yard.

post-6195-0-53756700-1363732331.jpg

There are more due this week, but although the lambs were bang on time, young Bully was nearly a week late!

Regards

Richard

• Like 16

Morning all,   looks like spring has arrived in the UK then with Shropshires latest arrivals.....?  Several busy days ahead of me, and next week will I guess be even busier.....

Have a good a Humpday as you can, 

Trev.

Lamb chops or steak?

Good morning all

A glorious clear day with a forecast max of 26C

Rain by Saturday but that's a week early.

After a long hot Summer such as we have enjoyed the first rains often arrive on Good Friday

Morning All,

It is a rather damp morning here - but at least there is no snow.

I should think Dominik has snow in his part of the world though!

Have a good day everyone...

The first is one of the twins born on Sunday. One of each, shown here with mum.

The second is mum and son. he was born this morning and is a pedigree Hereford.

Again, shown with mum, who was making all sorts of grunting noises. She was not happy that the dog was in the yard.

There are more due this week, but although the lambs were bang on time, young Bully was nearly a week late!

:tender: Proud Mamog with her lambs at heel, and lovely Hereford bull-calf too.........new arrivals really do raise the spirits. :ok:

• Like 4

DD Having read of your problems with the Zuron cutter, does that mean that you are resuming work on Whittering?

Yes, Don.

I decided to strip the second board and start again on it to re-configure things slightly to allow the use of some purchases.

A very interesting Faller Mining Camp which I will adapt and a few other bits.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Lovely morning here. Sunny (though not warm yet). Lots of crocus, snowdrops, and even some mini daffodils out today. Much prettier than the line of recycling bags!

Tony

• Like 1

We had our fortnightly bin emptying yesterday, wheelies not bags in this part of the uk. Our refuse operatives, being a cut above dustbin men, always ensure they leave some paper and plastic spread along the road so we can pick it up and recycle it on their next visit. For that privilege,  our local council will raise our Council Tax by 2% from April.

Edited for auto-correction error, scattered gaps supplied by refuse operative have been collected and trashed!

Edited by Gruffalo
  • Like 1

why not get a supplier to quote for the materials only mainly panels and posts  for both heavy duty and lightweight posts then you can get some idea of the different charges for labour. I don't know if they have also included concrete gravel boards, worthwhile in my opinion. Also what is the site like if it is rather exposed you need something strong.

Don

Morning all,

Seems that the rumour that my chosen fence supplier was going to use 3" posts was actually inserted into my mind by the over-priced company with the slick salesman. Checked the original quote and it said "reinforced concrete". Taking on board everyone on here's thoughts I went back and asked what dimension they are and 100x100mm. So, apologies to those who rushed out in the wild measuring their own posts for me. Got very confused by the salesman trying to undermine his competitor! 

Gravel boards are definitely in the design. The reason I chose those was that the ground seems to get very wet and also we get a lot of weeds coming through the fence. So a more robust approach seemed to make sense. Ok, a lot of the bindweed burrows underground, so it's not going to make a lot of difference, but ...

Andy 

• Like 2