The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Back in the early 1970's me and my brothers used to go fishing on a Sunday on the river Welland at Wakerley and Barrowden which seemed to be almost at the end of the Wittering runway, they often used to fly the Vulcans then, they looked like they were almost stationary when climbing, I often wondered if they were going to just fall out of the sky. Impressive sight they were.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.

Dennis is most certainly here, horizontal rain, trees and humans. No power cuts #touches wood# as yet this time, thankfully.  A cable fault outside of the village was identified as the cause of the 12 last weekend, according to the Chair of Manx Utilities.  Who was also my GP until recently!

Mrs NHN crashing around the house as she's bored and it is a bad thing for her.  Too nasty to go down the garage, and play with the things we shall not mention, so trying to keep a low profile.

I recall flying on several McD aircraft, which indeed seemed popular with crews, I certainly preferred them to 'Boing''s efforts.  Since 99% of my flying was done 'some time ago' I have never flown in any Airbus product.  Mention of Middle East Airlines bring to mind two flights in 720B's, which were very tired indeed.  Dubai via Beirut IIRC.  Awful things.  The 720B's too....... LOL.   Nowaday's it's Q400's where you have to move seats to help trim the damn things.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

Talking about low flying reminds me of my former workplace in Wiltshire where we had a west-ish facing office window and we were on the first floor.  There was an airfield a few miles away   at a place called Keevil and the most common airborne sight locally was of Hercules following the railway in and lining up above us to gently dive down towards Keevil where they unloaded LandRovers and such like without bothering to go through the formality of first landing the aircraft.  No real nuisance and we were quite used to it so rarely batted an eyelid.

A bit more exciting was when NATO exercises took part on the nearby part of Salisbury Plain.  The former village of Imber wasn't all that far away so at times the nearby corner of the plain got quite lively with lots of helicopters playing or, one year, a load of Starfighters doing low level stuff (I think all of them remained airborne).

But the real humdinger came very noisily and unexpectedly one afternoon when instead of a Hercules following the usual flightpath in over the railway we got something that was not only considerably noisier but even lower - in the shape of a Phantom.  There can be debate about the height at which this aircraft was flying but from first floor level I could make out the pilot's face (behind a mask etc head on) while several of our yard staff swore blind that it was below the level of the yard lighting towers (60ft):o  I don't know how low it was but when I rang the locao constabulary to register a complaint about extremely low flying I was able to give them at least part of the aircraft's service number.

I must have got something right about the number because a couple of weeks later I received a letter from the MoD advising me that it was an aircraft from Boscombe Down (not that it was in their colour scheme) and it hadn't flown below 200ft.  Again there could be some debate about the height but we were well used to Hercs flying at only a few hundred feet as part of their everyday low level training and that Phantom was definitely lower.  I've no doubt the pilot was having a grand day out doing a low level beat up along the railway and over our yard in an area where low level flying was permitted and it was easy to maintain a course between populated areas but.I still wonder if he'd been completely honest with his leaders.

The lowest, non air-display, flying I've seen since then was a Merlin obviously working up prior to heading for Afghanistan practicing low level very steeply banked turns over the former Abingdon airfield - with the lower end of the main rotor whizzing past well below treeetop height and worryingly close to the ground, incredible stuff.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. When there was the Southend air show many aircraft used to follow the A13 when leaving the airshow and there used to be a procession of aircraft heading west over my house from late afternoon. Everything and anything could be seen flying over from microlites to a Nimrod. They were usually quite low as they had to fly below the flightpath into Southend airport.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

Some years ago Mrs.Choo and I lived in Langtree just outside Great Torrington in North Devon. Our most interesting close encounter was a fleet of three Hercules flying along the valley floor beneath us,turning and heading straight up for our back garden. They must have a very good rate of climb because they all managed to miss our chimneys..(just!) Made a change from the Harriers and Hawks from Chivenor careering around.

Such fun.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Welcome back to some of our "missing" ERs. And hello to our new ones.

Tigerburnie, Victors at Wittering, then Hunters, then Harriers.

Phantoms were made that large so that Dave H7nt could fit into one:jester:

We had a USAF C17 visit Leeds Bradford during a NATO bring your airplane to Leeds week. It was so low you could see the lettering in the undercarriage bays.

I only flew in a DC10 once to Houston. No problem, as with a trip in a Tristar. (Banned from LBA due to not being able to come to a stop before running out of runway).

Hope you are all safe from Dennis. We are due Cyclone Uesi some time today. That could be a bit problematic!

Now time for a mugacaff!

Baz

• Like 16
  • Funny 4

In the 1980s I was living in Orange County California when MCAS* El Toro was still in action. Many interesting aircraft could be seen there.

* Marine Corps Air Station

Occasionally there would be airshows. The Navy Blue Angels (then flying F/A-18s) were the highlight of the airshows at MCAS El Toro.  Their flight pattern had them perform a tight turn immediately above my home at a safe but low altitude before heading back to the airfield. This was as dramatic to see as their performance at the airshow. At that point they were much closer than the flight line at the airshow.

At the 1988 airshow I was one of a large crowd (300,000) who witnessed a USMC F/A-18 crash during a very low altitude loop. I thought I remembered the pilot ejecting (at 0') but this is not evident in video of the incident*. He was seriously injured.

* at about 1:15

• Like 13