West Pickering, Craig's Canadian project

Craig Watson

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I have created this topic to seperate my HO Canadian modelling from my other OO workbench and layout topics which haven't been updated in a while for various reasons.

Having an Aunt who lives just outside Toronto has allowed a couple of visits over the years with another planned for next year, from an early age she usd to send me over HO stuff at birthdays and Christmas so the seed was sown!

I have started work on plans for a Canadian HO layout set in the Toronto area, work on a few structures for the layout has started and I've slowly been building a collection of suitable stock for use on the layout.

I recently had the chance to pick up a decent priced secondhand Kato CP twin flag liveried AC4400 (road number 9524), I already had this loco in my fleet but the bargain was too good to let go!

I picked up a set of Microscale decals and as I had some spare time before starting a nightshift last night and already had my portable workbench set up on the dining room table I decided to give the renumbering a go.

From some quick research on www.railpictures.net I found that I could model 9529 in twin flag livery which would only involve changing one number making it an easy job:)

First up the model was disassembled with handrails removed to make handling easier, then the required number was carefully removed using thinners applied with a cotton bud then gently scraped off with a cocktail stick.post-291-090242100 1286695820_thumb.jpg

The below pic shows where I rubbed a bit too hard and went through the red paint, as the mumber 9 will cover the affected part it isn't too much of a problem though.

post-291-084510200 1286695829_thumb.jpg

The replacement numbers were then cut from the sheet and applied using a little microsol,

post-291-081071900 1286695839_thumb.jpg

post-291-024690100 1286695855_thumb.jpg

post-291-069772100 1286695871_thumb.jpg

The model was then reassembled, the only job still to do is to replace the running number on the nose as this still shows the original number as can be seen in the second pic below.

post-291-069828400 1286695898_thumb.jpg

post-291-025810400 1286696083_thumb.jpg

post-291-025647900 1286696110_thumb.jpg

I've also built a few Walthers buildings for the layout, I'll update on here when I get the chance to get a few pics taken.

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

Another project on my bench is this Rail Power Products SD90MAC.

I picked it up as a complete kit including the powered chasis secondhand for about £20 and I've been slowly working on it for a while, the plan is to finish it in CP beaver livery.

post-291-040519700 1286704811_thumb.jpg

It's a pretty basic model but will do until I can pick up a Kato one:D

Cheers

Craig

I picked it up as a complete kit including the powered chasis secondhand for about £20 and I've been slowly working on it for a while, the plan is to finish it in CP beaver livery.

Hi Craig,

Blimey, well done!!

I consider that a good bargin as i have a similar project (which has been on-going for 12+ years!) and the running total is about £120!!!!!

The basic body and chassis are not too bad, it's all those little fine details, brass fitting and so on, they mount up!!

The RPP bodies are adequate but can be made to look excellent with some work!

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks John!

As part of the layout plans I have a rough trackplan drawn but find myself tweaking bits now and again!

The boards are being started next week and I have a large chunk of thePeco code 83 track I need, the plan is for a continuous run as the layout will be running both freight and passenger (VIA & GO Transit) but due to space I need to design it as a sort of dumbell shape, a major part of this is designing the end curves to take a rake of Bombardier GO coaches without derailments!

I have also built a few Walthers kits, there will be a station served by both GO & VIA services which is based on a Walthers Amtrak station building which will be provided with GO & VIA signage, it will also have a bus interchange as per Ajax, the station used by us to get to Union Station when visiting my Aunt.

This is the building before weathering and signage is added, still unsure of a name for the station but it will be taken from somewhere on the route from Oshawa to Toronto.

post-291-004671300 1286832398_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Craig

Hi Craig, lovely stuff you have there (even if CP Rail did wipe the Soo off the map... <_< :angry: ;) ) - looks like you're into the high-Horsepower stuff!! B) Neat re-numbering job, too!

I can only be green with envy at your £20 bargain - oh the joys of HO..! Mindyou, I make my fellow O-scalers jealous sometimes with the price of my U.S. stuff compared to British outline prices... :P :D

... this Rail Power Products SD90MAC.

I picked it up as a complete kit including the powered chasis secondhand for about £20 ...

It's a pretty basic model but will do until I can pick up a Kato one:D

I thought RailPower shells were supposed to be very good? Or is it the drivetrain that's 'basic', Athearn maybe?

Yeah really nice neat job on the renumbering - Murphy normally gets involved about half way through to break the news that Kato and Microscale disagree on how big the numbers should be, so it's nice they concur here... :)

As for Rail Power Products, the prototype-modelling crowd called them Rough Plastic Parts - they weren't mostly too bad as models, just very basic, they didn't usually supply a mech, just a chassis block compatible with Athearn drivetrain parts.

They certainly can make a decent model though, Athearn has proved that by taking many of the molds and producing items in their RTR line from them, the RTR GP35 and CF7 for example owe their existence to RPP I believe.

I'm surprised in a way the SD9043 hasn't followed, I know Kato did it but they are heading into "hens teeth" territory now - I fancy an Indiana Railroad one as well which of course hasn't been done RTR either! ;)

• RMweb Premium

If you wanted to continue the "Hellenic" theme it could be called "Zeus" - actually it might be a good idea to have a line that ran from Ajax via Minerva to Zeus. :unsure:

Ajax was actually named for a British battleship, and all the streets are named after her crew members.

• RMweb Premium

Craig...you answered my question from the other night's email. DCC is a given. Sound? Want some guest locos? biggrin.gif

S

Guest locos will be welcome, once its finished!!

Took some of the stock up to our club last night, both to give it a run and test the GO coaches on the tightest curves on the layout which they managed okB)

A taster of what I was running!

post-291-047963800 1286964074_thumb.jpg

post-291-094962100 1286964083_thumb.jpg

post-291-034946400 1286964098_thumb.jpg

post-291-058931800 1286964114_thumb.jpg

post-291-099226900 1286964127_thumb.jpg

post-291-000206900 1286964141_thumb.jpg

post-291-011570900 1286964154_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Craig

Craig;

If you check the Overseas Prototype forun, I posted some pics that I took over the last couple of days in the Toronto area.

The VIA P42 looks a little funny - it is a bit on the blue side (although the blue ones do look significantly different shades depending on the lighting). A few of them are in a green shade to match the Rennaissance (ex-Nightstar) coaches as well.

I see you went for the F59PHi for your GO loco. While not strictly accurate (it is pretending to be an MP40PH-3C), it is the best option at the moment. You do need more GO coaches though, the current Lakeshore trains have 12 (whether the loco could pull 12 is another question).

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Craig;

If you check the Overseas Prototype forun, I posted some pics that I took over the last couple of days in the Toronto area.

The VIA P42 looks a little funny - it is a bit on the blue side (although the blue ones do look significantly different shades depending on the lighting). A few of them are in a green shade to match the Rennaissance (ex-Nightstar) coaches as well.

I see you went for the F59PHi for your GO loco. While not strictly accurate (it is pretending to be an MP40PH-3C), it is the best option at the moment. You do need more GO coaches though, the current Lakeshore trains have 12 (whether the loco could pull 12 is another question).

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I'll have a look at the pics,

The F59PHi GO loco was the easy option for now, I have a total of 11 coaches at present (2 are control cars), I also have the TrueLine trains MP40PH-3C ordered, I still have my original GO loco too, a Walthers Trainline F50PH.

The VIA P42 is an Athearn model straight out of the box.

Cheers

Craig

Hi Adrian,

I'll have a look at the pics,

The F59PHi GO loco was the easy option for now, I have a total of 11 coaches at present (2 are control cars), I also have the TrueLine trains MP40PH-3C ordered, I still have my original GO loco too, a Walthers Trainline F50PH.

The VIA P42 is an Athearn model straight out of the box.

Cheers

Craig

Agree on the shade of blue green? There was one for sale at Ayr show and it looked a lot greener. Have they varied from batch to batch?

It all looks a little East at the mo' Craig. Need the western influence in there. West Coast Rail double decks and plenty of Amtrak West and BNSF stuff to spice things up?!!?

Si

• RMweb Premium

Agree on the shade of blue green? There was one for sale at Ayr show and it looked a lot greener. Have they varied from batch to batch?

It all looks a little East at the mo' Craig. Need the western influence in there. West Coast Rail double decks and plenty of Amtrak West and BNSF stuff to spice things up?!!?

Si

Don't know about the colour, could just be the rubbish lighting at the club!

Another pic,

post-291-044985300 1286982691_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Craig

The P42s have a fair amount of green in the blue (and show it in sunlight) - see the pics in my thread on Overseas Prototype - all the VIA P42s pictured are in the same livery. I didn't manage to get a picture of 902, which is in the green livery, when it went past me on Monday (I was busy driving). The blue ones can look amost that dark when sitting in the shade (inside the Union Station trainshed for example), but it isn't really the best approximation of the colour.

Is the Walthers Trainline loco an F40PH? If so, GO did use 6 of them for a while, in the days when the train sizes were smaller (5-6 coaches on some lines).

Adrian

Here are a few extra shots of prototype P42s. Note that the upper rear paint on 907 seemed to be excessively faded.

post-206-096946300 1286984288_thumb.jpg

post-206-042263600 1286984306_thumb.jpg

post-206-018787400 1286984323_thumb.jpg

BTW. I saw a test shot of the Rapido LRC coach (the grey boxes behind the P42 for those who aren't up on VIA coaches) a few weeks ago, and it looked very good.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

The P42s have a fair amount of green in the blue (and show it in sunlight) - see the pics in my thread on Overseas Prototype - all the VIA P42s pictured are in the same livery. I didn't manage to get a picture of 902, which is in the green livery, when it went past me on Monday (I was busy driving). The blue ones can look amost that dark when sitting in the shade (inside the Union Station trainshed for example), but it isn't really the best approximation of the colour.

Is the Walthers Trainline loco an F40PH? If so, GO did use 6 of them for a while, in the days when the train sizes were smaller (5-6 coaches on some lines).

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Sorry, it is an F40PH, noticed some pics of the real thing on railpictures a while back

Here's a pic of it on our old club layout,

post-291-003012600 1286984612_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Craig

Archived