West Pickering, Craig's Canadian project

Craig Watson

• RMweb Premium

Craig are there any tram systems in that part of Canada....I had visions of using the Vancouver Skytrain as a break at one end and the freeway at the other of my home layout just to ring the changes? Just a thought?

There's a rapid transit system not too far away at Scarborough, might have a look and see if I can come up with anything!

• RMweb Premium

Craig, it was really good to see James wee layout on Sunday, looked great, even if when I saw it there was just you. I don't know if you know but the French magazines featured a very similar concept a year or so back. Tell James to keep up the good work, and the Canadian layout is coming on a treat.

Thanks for the comments Jon, the problem with James is that he has a hectic social life:-) he plays football for Stenhousemuir FC's community select team on a Saturday morning and had his Boys Brigade company dedication service on Sunday morning so I had the layout to myself both mornings, he's also exhibiting at Falkirk this year with my small shunting layout "Heavy Traffic" as I'll have my g scale on the stage again!!

There's a rapid transit system not too far away at Scarborough, might have a look and see if I can come up with anything!

Oh the delightful Scarborough RT...maybe to be replaced with a subway, maybe not, if you like partisan politics and silly bickering, read up on Toronto's ongoing Transit Debate!!

That said, here is a shot of the RT at Kennedy Station:

459039305_4487703018_o.jpg

And the Wikipedia page on the RT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarborough_RT

-Stephen

• RMweb Premium

Oh the delightful Scarborough RT...maybe to be replaced with a subway, maybe not, if you like partisan politics and silly bickering, read up on Toronto's ongoing Transit Debate!!

That said, here is a shot of the RT at Kennedy Station:

459039305_4487703018_o.jpg

And the Wikipedia page on the RT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarborough_RT

-Stephen

I travelled on it when it was pretty new the first time I was in Toronto in 1984, had read into some of the politics a while back!

I travelled on it when it was pretty new the first time I was in Toronto in 1985, had read into some of the politics a while back!

The politics were mainly that it was being used to promote the UTDC (Urban Transport Development Corpotation - later Bombardier) product, wich was built at the UTDC facility near Kingston, Ontario (Millhaven, to be precise). The facility still exists, with the test track (which I rode as a youngster during an open house). It is next door to the 'minimalst loco stabling' that I mentioned on another thread. The original Vancouver Skytrain was the same equipment, just running unmanned (the TTC union agreements required a driver for the Scarborough line).

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=44.213956,-76.725683&spn=0.02633,0.041413&t=h&z=15

Adrian

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

First update for a while!

Now that the Glasgow show is over for another year I have some free modelling time to work on the layout and rolling stock.

First up is my Kaslo shops F59PH

This has been sitting in my workbench to do pile for a wee while, it sits on a modified Atlas GP40 chassis and I've finally got round to putting some paint on it at last, some more parts are still to be fitted, handrails to be fitted, herald King decals applied then a coat of satin varnish to finish it off, it's the first model I've sprayed for over a year and in pretty pleased with it so far!

post-291-0-47483700-1393542540_thumb.jpg

All going well it should be finished by the end of the weekend.

Cheers

Craig

Looking good!

I was looking at tha A/C units and thinking they looked wrong, both in colour and position. I hadn't realized that they painted them green around 2010 - they were white in 2007-2009 when I was commuting on GO. The position looks wrong, I think, because they are a little malnourished - although it may be that there are variations in type and position..

Compare to http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=276788&nseq=44 and http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=270800&nseq=47

And this reminds me that I have 2 Kaslo N-scale ones to build/finish.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Looking good!

I was looking at tha A/C units and thinking they looked wrong, both in colour and position. I hadn't realized that they painted them green around 2010 - they were white in 2007-2009 when I was commuting on GO. The position looks wrong, I think, because they are a little malnourished - although it may be that there are variations in type and position..

Compare to http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=276788&nseq=44 and http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=270800&nseq=47

And this reminds me that I have 2 Kaslo N-scale ones to build/finish.

Adrian

Thanks,

The A/C units are smaller, they're BLMA parts which came in a pack of 4, they were only placed on the model for the pic as I wasn't too sure about them, I'm planning on chopping the two spare ones to enlarge them for the model. 

The paint isn't an exact match, It was mixed from a few humbrol colours and sprayed onto an old test bodyshell to try and get a similar match to my Athearn coaches and other GO units, its pretty close and I'm happy with it for now!

Cheers

Craig

Now that the Glasgow show is over for another year I have some free modelling time to work on the layout and rolling stock.

First up is my Kaslo shops F59PH

This has been sitting in my workbench to do pile for a wee while, it sits on a modified Atlas GP40 chassis and I've finally got round to putting some paint on it at last, some more parts are still to be fitted, handrails to be fitted, herald King decals applied then a coat of satin varnish to finish it off, it's the first model I've sprayed for over a year and in pretty pleased with it so far!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

All going well it should be finished by the end of the weekend.

Cheers

Craig

Hi Craig

I would love to have heard your comments, when you first saw that colour scheme..

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

I've been working on getting the F59PH finished off over the last few days, the handrails have been refitted and painted and most of the decals have now been applied, the small letters below the loco number are wrong but they were all I had, if I had spare letters I'd have made up the correct ones but as they won't be readable at layout viewing distance I can live with the compromise for now!

I enlarged the air conditioning units by cutting spare ones up and lengthening the originals, they've now been positioned based on pics of the prototype and I'm much happier with them.

The only other decals I need are the small Ontario flags, I have the flag on file so will make the decals up next week when I get the chance.

It's now had a quick coat of varnish, it's still missing the small lights above the numbers on the front, they're still on the to do list!

Next up will be more work on the chassis and adding sound.

post-291-0-95647100-1393774427_thumb.jpg

Will hopefully update again in a few days!

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

With the F59ph nearly done I got some coaches out and took a few pics on the layout, also one of my current GO fleet!

post-291-0-16251600-1393917620.jpg

post-291-0-06432100-1393917663.jpg

post-291-0-46989100-1393917744.jpg

I'm now looking for two Prototype Model Industries GP9RM cabs to hopefully start my next loco project, I'll also be making a start on the fiddle yard boards in the next few weeks too.

Cheers

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

With the F59ph nearly done I got some coaches out and took a few pics on the layout, also one of my current GO fleet!

Cheers

Craig

Nice looking fleet.  Sometime I'd like to do an F59 for my GO Coaches, i have the Athearn F's in GO, but they are before my time, my time as a GO User when i first started working in Toronto before i could afford to live away from home was the all F59 era.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

With a decent spell of weather and a few days off work I took advantage and made a start on the first of the fiddle yard boards this afternoon, I'm off again tomorrow so if the weather is ok again I should get more done, if not I can still work away on the other front boards!

post-291-0-61668200-1395699004_thumb.jpg

The pic shows how the layout will be built in the garage, I'll also be making additional boards to create an operating well for exhibition use.

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Paul,

The weather wasn't as good today so carried on with the scenic boards indoors, the various track feeds had all been temporarily connected to allow the track to be tested a while back, with the boards being stripped down I made a start on the permanent wiring, the track wiring is now complete apart from the connectors between the boards, once I get another few hours I'll get the connector plugs soldered and make a start on the point motor wiring too.

Cheers

Craig

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another new arrival was delivered by the postman for the layout today, It will be getting fitted with a Tsunami sound decoder once it arrives and will be used as one of the few CP locos which will work the local which will serve the local industries.

post-291-0-44397000-1396903804_thumb.jpg

I also have another building for the layout, an office which will be sited to help block the view of trains coming through the scenic break on the left hand side of the layout under the freeway overbridge.

Cheers

Craig

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Lots of progress has been made over the past few weeks with more scenic work carried out as well as bits and pieces such as road lines etc being done, haven't really taken any decent pictures but will get some over the next week or so to update the thread.

While exhibiting my sons layout with him at the Kyle exhibtion last weekend I managed to pick up an undecorated bi level coach from one of the traders for £20! It will be finished as one of GO Transit's all over advert wrap cars, there have been a few over the last few years to chose from but I quite like the look of one which carried a BMO/Toronto FC advert for a while so I'll be starting work on designing a decal to see how it goes!

It's in white primer for now!

post-291-0-56832300-1400883606_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Craig

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've been working on various bits of the layout including detailing the mall and road areas, I grabbed a few pics of progress tonight.

Now that I've made the decision to part with my OO TMD layout I'll have the space in the garage to make more progress with the fiddle yard too.

I also have a few additions to the loco fleet thanks to mp55aec!

An overview

post-291-0-56399500-1404426735.jpg

post-291-0-28784300-1404426812.jpg

Mall area

post-291-0-81371500-1404426852.jpg

post-291-0-39756500-1404426877.jpg

post-291-0-98231400-1404426904.jpg

Tim Hortons

post-291-0-37760700-1404426926.jpg

New arrival SD40-2W 5337 alongside 5273.

post-291-0-02562800-1404426943.jpg

Another new arrival, GP40 6401 awaiting paint on its new brass sunshades!

post-291-0-71795600-1404426962.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Haha, Tims has still to be fitted out:-)

Can't wait to get a box of timbits next summer when we visit again!

Some of the stock for the layout also got a run last weekend at the Perth exhibition on donny4472's "New Westminster" layout which appeared under our club banner, myself and my son James were there all day Saturday and had an enjoyable day on the layout, as well as working on the layout I picked up a few bits and bobs for the layout as well as a few bargains from contikits who were at the show including an Atlas CP GP38 and a few Bowser CN roadrailer units, the roadrailers were a particular bargain at £5 each, I initially bought them to use as ordinary road railers as the couplermate part wasn't with the kits, however on having another look on the stand the couplermate kit was found in a box of bits and duly purchased for a few pounds!!

Also with the kids now being on their summer holidays it didn't take them long to be roped into some scenic work last week in between playing in the garden during the great weather!

James working New Westminster at Perth.

post-291-0-08394000-1404509815.jpg

The CN GP38 3003 coupled to another older liveried one I already had which funnily enough was 3002.

post-291-0-29998200-1404509887.jpg

The Bowser roadrailers.

post-291-0-79741800-1404510022.jpg

The kids doing their bit on the scenic front!

post-291-0-39913300-1404510113.jpg

Cheers

Craig

Archived