Merseyrail EMU

Looking through some old slides found this taken at Bootle, Merseyside, on 17 October 1986 while waiting with a rail train from Fazackerley. Just curious to know what it was, not your normal emu at the time. No numbers I'm afraid

.post-6977-056809100 1286902774_thumb.jpg

Tom.

Looking through some old slides found this taken at Bootle, Merseyside, on 17 October 1986 while waiting with a rail train from Fazackerley. Just curious to know what it was, not your normal emu at the time. No numbers I'm afraid

.post-6977-056809100 1286902774_thumb.jpg

Tom.

It was one of the sets used for services on the 3rd rail lines from Euston to Watford and on the NLL to Broad Street. Class 501 rings a bell- I believe they were used for Sandite trains on Merseyside when they'd been replaced by more modern units 'dahn sarf'

• RMweb Gold

As Brian says, ex 501s, used for Sandites with a 73 sandwiched in latter days - away at the moment but I have a shot of it at Rock Ferry with 73901, and also some moves when they were diesel hauled to/from Derby (iirc)

These Class 501's were extensively modified with end doors fitted and tanks fitted inside the passenger compartments for carrying de-iceing fluid.

There was also another Class 501 conversion on the Merseyrail network that was a a 2 car battery unit similar to the conversions that were based at Hornsey, however this unit was unique as it could still work of the 3rd rail as well. Apparently the drivers did not like this unit as they kept getting electric shocks from it!

Xerres Fobe

ISTR the GN battery electric units could work off 3rd rail as well. We had to take one to somewhere like Hertford one day, even on battery power it managed over 60mph! We were amazed, considering they told us the top speed on battery was 25mph!

ISTR the GN battery electric units could work off 3rd rail as well. We had to take one to somewhere like Hertford one day, even on battery power it managed over 60mph! We were amazed, considering they told us the top speed on battery was 25mph!

Thanks for this- I was surprised that these units were reported as being battery only which appeared not to make much sense. So the departmental class 501's were a very early version of a Green Goat!

Xerces Fobe

• RMweb Premium

There were also some two car ex Class 501's converted to flat topped battery electric locos down here in NSE land IIRC. Don't think they got much (if any) use though but I do recall seeing pictures of them in NSE livery looking like prisoner transports!!

• RMweb Premium

I believe the last two 501 DMBS/DTS vehicles passed into preservation - also I read somewhere that there's possibly a centre car still in existence.

• RMweb Premium

Found them, they were actually reclassified as Class 97/7 Locomotives!!:

Class 97/7 Battery Locos 97707 & 97708 at Hornsey depot

Only one pair, 97707/97708 got NSE livery as far as I can tell and I do believe the amount of actual work they did amounted to not a lot...

• RMweb Premium

I believe the last two 501 DMBS/DTS vehicles passed into preservation - also I read somewhere that there's possibly a centre car still in existence.

The last two 501 vehicles are preservered at the Electric Railway Museum @ Coventry.

DMBS 977349(61183) which is from the unit above and is pictured here, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/22373-electric-railway-museum-open-day/ and DTBS S8808(75186).

The on going restoration is concentrating on the DTBS which has been having the driving and Guards area restored, the roof has also been repaired and given first layers of new paint. The DMBS is also going though some restoration to make it both water tight and presentable.

Andrew Humphries

501 Project Manager

The last two 501 vehicles are preservered at the Electric Railway Museum @ Coventry.

DMBS 977349(61183) which is from the unit above and is pictured here, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/22373-electric-railway-museum-open-day/ and DTBS S8808(75186).

The on going restoration is concentrating on the DTBS which has been having the driving and Guards area restored, the roof has also been repaired and given first layers of new paint. The DMBS is also going though some restoration to make it both water tight and presentable.

Andrew Humphries

501 Project Manager

My first job on leaving school in 1984 was a YTS scheme with BR.

This took me to Birkenhead North CMD where I was involved in the re wiring of the two vehicles after the centre cars were removed.

Lee

Archived