Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Identifying our models and security

This is inspired by BD's thread at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/23608-models-stolen-during-break-in/ and comments made about having photos of our models.

So in doing is there any recommended way - OK we can do it on a layout but the images may be smaller than hoped and less detailed. Even with my own kit bashed stuff it'll be £200 a tank loco, £60 a coach and £20 a wagon should I need to replace them, and I imagine many of us are in a similar position. That's material cost only. Do we photo sides, top, bottom, front, back? Do we postcode the models (and if so where)? Do we engrave a secret code (and photograph that)? How do we describe them so that they stand a chance of getting identified if recovered?

I know that Kevin Walsh has been able to give some professional advice regarding lock type standards. Is there anything else of which we need to be aware?

Is the best place to ask this of an insurance company? Or don't they know enough about the hobby to give the best advice?

On kits I scratch my name and postcode before painting - an old habit - probably of little value - especially as they nearly all get sold on anyway :D :D :D.

One idea might be to use that DNA type paint they advertise for marking valuables.

I really am not sure that the chances of recovering stock, especially in a useful condition, are really worth the effort. I suspect the usual type of low-life that steals such items go for a fast sale down the pub where both parties wish to keep the matter secret and the proceeds go to fuel a drug habit. When such items eventually surface it will possibly have changed hands several times and the final seller on ebay/car boot/swap meet will be ignorant of any knowledge of the item's history.

Although BD's stock were to some extent unique and potential identifiable many such thefts are of less "adapted" items. Besides, I suspect many modelers comming by such items purchased in alll innocence would wish to modify them so they are unique to themselves long before they put them on public display.

This is inspired by BD's thread at http://www.rmweb.co....uring-break-in/ and comments made about having photos of our models.

I know that Kevin Walsh has been able to give some professional advice regarding lock type standards. Is there anything else of which we need to be aware?

Is the best place to ask this of an insurance company? Or don't they know enough about the hobby to give the best advice?

Further to what I posted in Baby Deltic's thread, if anyone would like specific advice regarding their storage facility please feel free to PM me for my contact number and I'll happily discuss what arrangements you could do with in place from a physical security point of view.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

When I bought a kit from Agenoria they supplied a tag that could be hidden in a tank. If I was to put security info on anything it would be inside the body so that you could say to the plod where you had your marks.

Just a shame that we can't have a DCC style chip that will only be recognised on friendly layouts and will not run on others. It is possible but not yet available.

RFID chip with certain data on it - owners name etc.

• RMweb Premium

Insurance requirements will vary and the best advice is to discuss frankly with your insurer what they advise in terms of offering proof of loss in the event of a claim. In many cases evidence of ownership such as a box, instruction leaflet or receipt may be sufficient.

I do not discuss the methods I use to identify my rolling stock in pubilc forums as a security measure - suffice to say that I post good-sized pictures of it on various web forums which can provide adequaet evidence of ownership.

• 3 weeks later...

I once had a loco stolen by a so called friend while he was visiting the house. I hadn't noticed that it was missing, but spotted it for sale in my local model shop complete with slight damage to 1 buffer. Fortunately my younger brother had doodled on the packaging in a way that was very obvious once the loco was removed from the box but invisible with it in place, so the retailer was more than happy to place it to one side and inform me of who had brought it in.

Some white lies and threats of extreme violence quickly had it back in my possession rolleyes.gif

Archived