Road vehicles in OO scale.(Post war)

PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium

The Allegro would need to be modelled with the bonnet up and a chap hitting the starter motor with a lump hammer;

Sounds uncannily like my old Vauxhall Chevette! :rolleyes:

A few people have suggested the Austin/Morris 1100/1300 - would be a good choice for a 60's/70s layout as I believe it was for a while

the best selling car in the UK in the '60s. I ended up with one as my first car in the 1980s. Minix used to do a model of it as supplied on the Triang-Hornby car carrier etc. They might not be up to the standard of today's diecast models but could be fettled up to something passable.

Ralph

Lambton58

• RMweb Premium

Sounds uncannily like my old Vauxhall Chevette! :rolleyes:

A few people have suggested the Austin/Morris 1100/1300 - would be a good choice for a 60's/70s layout as I believe it was for a while

the best selling car in the UK in the '60s. I ended up with one as my first car in the 1980s. Minix used to do a model of it as supplied on the Triang-Hornby car carrier etc. They might not be up to the standard of today's diecast models but could be fettled up to something passable.

Ralph

Lambton58

They can be upgraded using the seats and wheels from the Cararama mini. >>

http://quicksilver.f.../p40792849.html

• RMweb Premium

In the 1940s, Tilling Group companies took delivery of some Bedford OBs with a temporary, very angular, utility body. An oddly attractive prototype for the North Cornwall fan (and others).

That will be me then!

Strangely I've been looking for an OB as described in 4mm scale for a certain Southern layout.

• RMweb Premium

That will be me then!

Strangely I've been looking for an OB as described in 4mm scale for a certain Southern layout.

Many local authorities used bus bodied Bedford OB's for welfare and school work. The angular bodywork was the wartime OWB utility which belongs in the pre-war/wartime thread although the RAF had very similar bodies on post war OB chassis.

• RMweb Premium

Another type that is rarely modelled is the people carrier. The Ford Galaxy/SEAT Alhambra/VW Sharan comes to mind as an obvious choice. Essex police had one or two Galaxy's for highway patrol.

Another model that was badged by two otherwise unconnected manufacturers was the Triumph Acclaim/Honda Accord.

The Triumph Acclaim was a variant of the Honda Ballade, not Accord, the next Ballade being related to the first Rover 200 (as in 'Keeping Up Appearances'). The Rover 200 after that was related to the Honda Concerto while the last 200 (later 25) was Rover's own design, although using some of the previous model's parts. The 1993 European Market Accord was related to the Rover 600 after which they split. The other joint model was the mid-1990s Rover 400 (later 45)/Honda Civic 5-door hatch, though each also had their own unique body, Rover the 4-door saloon and Honda the estate.

Post-war is an easy choice for me...... The Weymann bodied AEC Regent III ala Rochdale etc. Westward Models did a whitemetal kit but the pattern maker followed an incorrect drawing.

Another classic was the Willowbrook lowbridge body that went on Trent, North Western and many other chassis to replace wartime and prewar bodies.

• RMweb Premium

Post-war is an easy choice for me...... The Weymann bodied AEC Regent III ala Rochdale etc. Westward Models did a whitemetal kit but the pattern maker followed an incorrect drawing.

Another classic was the Willowbrook lowbridge body that went on Trent, North Western and many other chassis to replace wartime and prewar bodies.

Isn't the Weymann in the Corgi OOC range?

It has been mentioned on this thread that the more modern cars are unlikely to be produced for the reasons mentioned by AndyB in post 87. So it looks like we will have to look towards the Cararama and similar ranges. The problem with Cararama is that their scales can deviate from the claimed 1/72 scale as mentioned by Bernard in post 46. This can be an advantage as Bernard pointed out, others in the range are also a lot closer to 1/76 scale also. As well as the Mercedes 'S' type the Range Rover, Volvo V70 estate and Peugeot 206 are all about 1/74. The Range Rover has RH drive and the Volvo though it has LH drive it is screwed together and should not be difficult to convert.

• RMweb Premium

Another manufacturer of modern cars in 1/72 was Yat Ming. Two models in their range stand out as useful for OO scale layouts, the Jaguar 'X' Type and the Opel Vectra. The Jaguar is held together by screws so is an easy conversion to RH drive. The Opel is known in this country as the Vauxhall Vectra and only needs the addition of a Vauxhall grill.

• RMweb Premium

Yat ming also made some very nice Alfa's. They also made the Jaguar 'S' type but the Cararama one was easier to get hold of. Real-X make three models that are familiar on British roads. Toyota RAV 4 5 door estate, Toyota Estima (Previa) and Subaru Legacy Estate. They are still available but take a bit of searching out. Regrettably Yat Ming has ceased producing 1/72 models.

I'd like to see a VW T4 van produced, these were introduced in '92 and there are still thousands of them about. Would be usefull as a builders workhorse or delivery van as well as a camper van. And there are plenty of T4 enthusiasts who would possibly buy one (my wife for example, who drives a lowered blue van fitted with alloys).

PhilJW

Isn't the Weymann in the Corgi OOC range?

The one I've seen was in London Transport Green. However, it owes more to prewar design with its five-bay body.

The post-war four-bay body is what I was referring to and I cited Rochdale as an example, plus the old Westward whitemetal kit.

post-6680-013327600 1289064616_thumb.jpg

Photo by J.J.Holmes.

• RMweb Premium

I'd like to see a VW T4 van produced, these were introduced in '92 and there are still thousands of them about. Would be usefull as a builders workhorse or delivery van as well as a camper van. And there are plenty of T4 enthusiasts who would possibly buy one (my wife for example, who drives a lowered blue van fitted with alloys).

There is a 1/72 resin kit of a T4 Kombi produced by a Belgian company called PJ Production, they also make a Renault R4 in saloon and van form. They are imported by a company called Retrokit (retrokit.net). Prices are about £10 for the T4 and £8.50 for the Renaults.

There is a 1/72 resin kit of a T4 Kombi produced by a Belgian company called PJ Production, they also make a Renault R4 in saloon and van form. They are imported by a company called Retrokit (retrokit.net). Prices are about £10 for the T4 and £8.50 for the Renaults.

Thanks for the tip off but the PJ Productions model VW is actually a T25, older than a T4. Still, a very usefull model.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for the 'bump' Peter. Oxford have got some more new models lined up for later this year:- Citroen 2CV, Renault Dauphine, VW beetle (Herbie), Dennis fire engine and Land Rover Discovery as well as the wartime vehicles mentioned on the 'pre-war' thread.

Thanks for the 'bump' Peter. Oxford have got some more new models lined up for later this year:- Citroen 2CV, Renault Dauphine, VW beetle (Herbie), Dennis fire engine and Land Rover Discovery as well as the wartime vehicles mentioned on the 'pre-war' thread.

Also seems to be a Jaguar XJS on the way- I've commented on this before, but someone at Oxford is definitely a Jaguar enthusiast, bearing in mind we've now got the MkII, MkVIIM, XK120, E-Type roadster and fhc, Daimler DS limo & hearse and pre-war SS Jaguar saloon in the range, and now an XJS...

Archived