Warren Lane

bugs bunny

Random question Alan, do you have any of the DCkits FLA wagons?

Hi Matt

Yes we have a few.

A really nice model..I just need to get some brass wheelsets to Improve the running.

-7 in the garage yesterday but all the trackwork is done and wired....

Alan

Hi Matt

Yes we have a few.

A really nice model..I just need to get some brass wheelsets to Improve the running.

-7 in the garage yesterday but all the trackwork is done and wired....

Alan

Cheers Alan

Ok, next question on the same subject (as i don't have any to hand here!), would it look to be a viable prospect to change a couple of the outers to inners and respray into original 90s RFD livery? or is there too much length to them with the buffer beams? I'm trying to work out some more early 90s container flat options and found the first batch of FLAs came in sets of 5 for RFD but as far as i'm aware DCkits only do the outers and they didn't run in pairs until much later.

Hope you were kept full of hot tea to keep you going in those temperatures! You're a better man than me, i'm avoiding the garage while it's this cold and i really should start laying track.

Matt

Cheers Alan

Ok, next question on the same subject (as i don't have any to hand here!), would it look to be a viable prospect to change a couple of the outers to inners and respray into original 90s RFD livery? or is there too much length to them with the buffer beams? I'm trying to work out some more early 90s container flat options and found the first batch of FLAs came in sets of 5 for RFD but as far as i'm aware DCkits only do the outers and they didn't run in pairs until much later.

Hope you were kept full of hot tea to keep you going in those temperatures! You're a better man than me, i'm avoiding the garage while it's this cold and i really should start laying track.

Matt

Hi Matt

The DC Kits model is of the 2004 batch twins

These were slightly different to the earlier sets with the inners.

Check out post 149 for picture....

If you want 90's container flats what about Colin Craigs FFA/FGA's you did say you were good with a soldering Iron :D

Kind regards Alan

Hi Matt

The DC Kits model is of the 2004 batch twins

These were slightly different to the earlier sets with the inners.

Check out post 149 for picture....

If you want 90's container flats what about Colin Craigs FFA/FGA's you did say you were good with a soldering Iron :D

Kind regards Alan

Hahahahaha, never said i was 'good', just said a wielded one for a living ;-) Bigger the blob, better the job!.......well, i do have the plans and brass for making 'inners' to complete Hornby's cartic4s so adding Colin Craig kits to my pile of 'one day' projects is an option.

I was going to see if i could hunt down some S-kits ends to make some outers from the old Hornby flats i have, but i cannot find pictures or reference to anyone that's actually done it or where i'd order them from to start with. i've noticed a wagon load height difference between the old Hornby FGA and the new Hornby KFA so i get the feeling quite a bit of work may be involved. Also there's a lot of solid plastic where it should be open on the FGA, but that just seems like a valid excuse for me to treat myself to some kind of milling machine to gently start opening those holes up..............but don't tell Andrea!

Back to the FLA, 'slightly different' is close enough for me, I'm ok with skewing history a little anyway and having 2 pairs in RFD if needs be, i'm a rubbish rivet counter. I'll hunt down post 149 and see how it looks, just need the funds and the confidence to start messing around with a brand new model.

SWMBO wants a run down to London soon to the fish shops, if i get her to text Mags when then we'll see about swinging by to say hello.

• 4 weeks later...

A little update

Work on the extension is going well, I think we will be ready for Trainwest (crossfingers)

This is one of the new Items of stock EWS 37421

post-9211-0-33169600-1331484350_thumb.jpg

This is the work of Daren Farrow

Its a Bachmann that he has repainted and done a superb job of weathering....It reminded me of the preserved 37's that we saw at Barrow Hill

when we took Warren Lane to Model Rail Live.

I think he has captured that worn out EWS maroon perfectly,

I hadn't planned to run an EWS service into Warren lane, until I saw this Engine in Locolines

A little update

Work on the extension is going well, I think we will be ready for Trainwest (crossfingers)

This is one of the new Items of stock EWS 37421

post-9211-0-33169600-1331484350_thumb.jpg

This is the work of Daren Farrow

Its a Bachmann that he has repainted and done a superb job of weathering....It reminded me of the preserved 37's that we saw at

Barrow Hill

when we took Warren Lane to Model Rail Live.

I think he has captured that worn out EWS maroon perfectly,

I hadn't planned to run an EWS service into Warren lane, until I saw this Engine in Locolines

I got one of those last month too. Mine was numbered 37427. Darren's work is very good - I've already bought his Transrail 37, railfreight metals 37, RES 47. If you're interested I can post a pic of mine too.

Roy from Locolines should be commended on stocking Darren's locos.

I had a good chat to Darren last time I was there - a thoroughly nice chap!

Maybe I'll get to meet you there one day?!

T.

I got one of those last month too. Mine was numbered 37427. Darren's work is very good - I've already bought his Transrail 37, railfreight metals 37, RES 47. If you're interested I can post a pic of mine too.

Roy from Locolines should be commended on stocking Darren's locos.

I had a good chat to Darren last time I was there - a thoroughly nice chap!

Maybe I'll get to meet you there one day?!

T.

Hi T

This is probably the same as your Railfrieght Metals 37

My other Daren Farrow Loco 37514

post-9211-0-52163600-1331495293_thumb.jpg

please post pics of your locos

Kind regards Alan

This layout is fantastic, it is exactly my kind of layout and is the best ive seen. Its great following your progress on here. Keep up the great work and I look forward to more updates :)

Hi

Thanks for your post

Will post pictures of work on extension once its finished.......

Kind regards Alan

Additional: interesting info on the freightliner website (why did i never think to look there?!) didn't realise the inners which would probably all be 1990/91 were good for 45s.

They are a 45' platform but i've long been unconvinced that they are still capable of loading them - they now have large angled load guides welded to the deck for loading 40's so i'm not sure how it would work - at one end I think it would sit within a 45's 'tunnel' but would it miss the bracing the other end? I've never seen one, or a picture of one with a 45 on either, not that that's worth much...

There's a lot of difference between the old and new versions (in fact it's probably easier to call them two different designs) - nothing to stop you approximating though.

If it helps there's some shots here including high angle shots of empties that might help:

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/F/FLA-lowliner-Freightliner

605XXX series wagons are the 90s inners

6060XX series are 90s outers

6061XX series are the 2004 batch of pairs

• 3 weeks later...

So how is the extension going? (Not that I'm worried with only two weeks to go before Trainwest.)

Geoff Endacott

Hi Geoff

If you could see Warren lane this morning you would be worried

But dont Panic Ive booked next week off as Holiday so I should get it all done

I was up at 5am this morning (sunday) soldering new Catenary.....

This was the Railway last week (Black Wednesday) after some major works

post-9211-0-66467100-1333268374_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening Alan

I guess it didn't all go quite to plan then??

Shame because the Leaford crew will be there in force and were hoping to see the new extension in all its glory, will you still be there with the other layout? If you are we'll come over for a full debrief ;) . Never mind we'll all stalk you at the next outing.

Evening Alan

I guess it didn't all go quite to plan then??

Shame because the Leaford crew will be there in force and were hoping to see the new extension in all its glory, will you still be there with the other layout? If you are we'll come over for a full debrief ;) . Never mind we'll all stalk you at the next outing.

Hi Ian

We will all be there, but not Warren Lane

I had a bit of an accident in the garage yesterday

Without going into detail here the middle board is damaged.

Most of the damage is scenic Catenary, section House, front facia, backscene....all repairable (I estimate about a months work)

The only good thing is the track and connection dowels are fine..

Anyway Trainwest is going to be good Twin falls isnt a bad substitute come and say hello and I will desribe what happened.

Alan

I got home yesterday and Andrea said she'd had a text from maggie saying there'd been an accident. Good to hear it's recoverable, our June holiday plan is revolving around the fact you'll be at Wigan!

Going to use at as a chance to make any changes to that section?

Matt

Archived