Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

It's My Train Set....

After a lot of research, I am really struggling to find existence of Class 37s on the Southern Region during the late 1980s. With loco power mainly restricted to class 33s and 73s. I love my Bachmann 4CEP, and I am looking forward to the 2EPB, 4VEP, and Thumper units coming out, I don't really want to not install the 3rd Rail on my layout or sell my 4CEP.

So something got me thinking. As my layout is not leaving the house, do i really mind the find the fact that 37s didn't run on the Southern region? As a Tractor fan, I would like to see them running on my layout. Same as I want 47s, 56s, 58s, and 60s running as well as the 33s, and 73s. Am I suffering from It's My Train Set and I'll Run What i Like, or should I be going for realism? I understand the magnificent work that goes on, on this forum, and at clubs etc for exhibitions. But as my layout is not really going to be up to that standard, should I worry about. It would be interesting hear other peoples thoughts.

Do other people with home layouts run what they like or do they go for the realism?

To be honest, at home I run whatever I want. Be as true to life as you feel comfortable with and if necessary just use a dollop of vivid imagination to fudge anything.

There's models of a 110 year span of prototypes currently sat on 'Grove street' behind me. It's not like they'll come and do me for it. Oh wait, there's a knock at the door...

Hi

it is up to you really

Perhaps it might be easier, if you really want realism, to change your railway company, ok you may not be bale to run certain locos you wan't to however by picking a railway company that would have run most of the locos you wan't it is probably the best option if you wan't to run the majority of your favourite locos with realism.

Although there is the saying that there are so many innacuracies in model railways that when you start to worry about issues like this its just going to be one of the many innacruracies with mdoel railways and to be honest as its your railway, your building it so you can enjoy it and whats the point in having realism if you canno't enjoy your layout?

this saying though i cannot apply to some of the RTR models that are avalible, however that's different in my veiw anyway :D

Thanks

Class_47

Blue Cardiff allocated 37s used to run the household coal to Fratton yard in Portsmouth, certainly in the late 80s until the very early 90's

Two or three times a week, on five or so Railfreight liveried HEA hoppers.

That was the only time I saw 37s on the southern until large numbers started to arrive at Eastleigh from around 1990 onwards

You'll be absolutely fine - you've simply beaten BR to it by a decade or so!!

As to running what you like, well the other day, a nice little US switcher was running on my 00 layout!

Not too much wrong with that, you say?

This one was not H0 scale - it was 0n30!!!!! I did have to remove an overhead signalbox temporarily but so what?

My railway, etc, etc!!

Cheers,

John E.

Blue Cardiff allocated 37s used to run the household coal to Fratton yard in Portsmouth, certainly in the late 80s until the very early 90's

Two or three times a week, on five or so Railfreight liveried HEA hoppers.

And probably other SR coal depots also (think I've seen pics of them on the Chessington job) - they were the nominated power for the erstwhile Speedlink Coal Network. A few of the fleet might have carried later liveries.

As my layout is not leaving the house, do i really mind the find the fact that 37s didn't run on the Southern region? As a Tractor fan, I would like to see them running on my layout.

I think you've answered your own questions there ;)

Pix

• RMweb Premium

Depends on how much of a purist you want to be.

My personal layout, currently under construction, is intended for exhibitions, and is based on an area in the Japanese alps from about 1995 - 2000. I have a suitable selection of stock to fully stock this layout and beyond. That said, I still have a Bachmann/Farish class 171, a Dapol Q1 and a number of LBSCR liveried Terriers, amongst others, that will still require occasional exercise and these will pay the occasional visit to the Land of the Rising Sun.

Even with our club layouts - which do go to exhibitions - there are the occasional 'visitors'. Sometimes it's pretty minor - you never know, a Patriot may have worked down the S&D to the Dorset coast back in the mid-1950 (weight restrictions/ RA notwithstanding)...there's just no recollection of evidence of it doing so (cue the corrections!), to fairly fundamental; okay, so a DMU is easier to pack away at the end of the show...just because it happens to be Japanese makes no never mind...

In a round-about way, I'm saying that it does not really matter. If you are happy to keep it plausible, then a little fudging of dates and regions doesn't go amiss. If not...well if we can run 009 Garratts on a Japanese N gauge layout on a club night, then why can't anyone else? ;)

Incidentally, I remember class 37s working the oil trains to Portfield oil terminal in Chichester in the late 1980s - 37220 particularly sticking in my mind...

Sometimes we make rods for our own backs! I am forever "justifying" running non-SR DMUs and class 37s (among other things) on my SR-based layout. But who am I really justifying things to? Only myself. It is my layout and I can run whatever I happen to like on it. It is run primarily to please one person ... ME!

I agree that if I run at an exhibition then I will want to try to set a realistic scene, which means restricting train types and liveries but, for my own use, do I need to place such restrictions? Of course not!

The only other reason for placing such restrictions for locations, train types and classes, or liveries, is to ease the budget. What I mean is that by placing such restrictions on ourselves we tend to discipline our spending a bit; we can "justify" not spending money on that lovely shiny green 4CEP unit because it never ran in the Midlands in 1953.

Ultimately, the decision about what to buy and run is up to you. Don't let anyone tell you you can't have it because it doesn't fit your chosen location. My previous layout moved locations (within the Southern Region, admittedly) according to which trains I wanted to run; Eastern Section when I ran the Golden Arrow, Western Section when I ran the Bournemouth Belle, and Central Section when I felt like giving the Brighton Belle a run. What's to stop any layout conveniently moving locations to suit, if you really need to "justify" running something a little "foreign" to the usual? Enjoy the hobby and stop trying to send yourself to an early grave worrying about something that reallly doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. :)

Sometimes we make rods for our own backs! I am forever "justifying" running non-SR DMUs and class 37s (among other things) on my SR-based layout. But who am I really justifying things to? Only myself. It is my layout and I can run whatever I happen to like on it. It is run primarily to please one person ... ME!

I agree that if I run at an exhibition then I will want to try to set a realistic scene, which means restricting train types and liveries but, for my own use, do I need to place such restrictions? Of course not!

The only other reason for placing such restrictions for locations, train types and classes, or liveries, is to ease the budget. What I mean is that by placing such restrictions on ourselves we tend to discipline our spending a bit; we can "justify" not spending money on that lovely shiny green 4CEP unit because it never ran in the Midlands in 1953.

Ultimately, the decision about what to buy and run is up to you. Don't let anyone tell you you can't have it because it doesn't fit your chosen location. My previous layout moved locations (within the Southern Region, admittedly) according to which trains I wanted to run; Eastern Section when I ran the Golden Arrow, Western Section when I ran the Bournemouth Belle, and Central Section when I felt like giving the Brighton Belle a run. What's to stop any layout conveniently moving locations to suit, if you really need to "justify" running something a little "foreign" to the usual? Enjoy the hobby and stop trying to send yourself to an early grave worrying about something that reallly doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. :)

Apart from exhibitions as you say, and perhaps publishing on RMweb (if you choose to show it off then you have to be able to accept comment from those with different ideas to your own) I agree.

I have a very simple attitude to this hobby ... If it gives you pleasure, then you must be doing it right ... end of story.

regards

Stewart

Why not publishing on RMWeb?

Surely one of the points of this forum is to keep the hobby strong and encourage other people to build their own layouts. One of the main reasons for this post is, I see people turning round and saying I've just bought X and now I need to build a layout for it to run on as it doesn't fit into my own layout. Why not run it on the layout you already have? I appreciate exhibition layouts will require the relevant stock. But surely people want to show others what they have achieved and get either some form of critique or appreciation for what they have done, rather than worry about the fact that a class 60 would not have run on the same lines as a 4CEP.

Would it really upset people that much, if they saw say a Castle at the Kyle of Lochalsh?

My layout is set on the Southern Region, west of Yeovil Junction in the early to mid '60s. While a fair amount of my stock is typical of the area, I do have much which is not. To justify it, I am creative with services. The never laid chord between Yeovil Junction and the Castle Cary-Weymouth line gives me Minehead to Weymouth services and Hymeks, Halls and Granges. Excursions from up north to Sidmouth, Exmouth and Plymouth give me the excuse for some xLMS stuff. What if the Claytons had been successful ? Class 14 runs down from Westbury on pick-ups. Somerset coal to Exeter and Plymouth, more exLMS loco's. And finally the Devon Belle was reinstated, so apart from the Ob's car, I can put in what I like. It still does not explain why you can occaisionally see an SVT 137 at Somercombe.

Class 37s have not been unknown on the Southern. I'm pretty sure Hither Green depot had an allocation, I've seen them at Clapham and I've seen pics of class 37s at Chessington, Woking, Basingstoke ad other SR locations.

G.

Why not publishing on RMWeb?

I don't think that was his point.

If you put the layout in a public arena - via the printed press, via an exhibition, via internet forums, then there is opportunity for those people who see it to interact with you and pass comment. It won't necessarily all be favourable, though will usually be well intentioned. If you're worried what negative things others will type/say/think, well keep it all secret. But I'd advise just growing a thick skin and doing your own thing.

Model for yourself, to meet your own tastes only, most especially on a home layout. I don't go for precise accuracy, more a broad brush approach in which I work to meet my own criteria on believability.

So while your Castle at Kyle would not suit my tastes, that wouldn't be your problem. To hell with me, if it's what you want to do. ;)

Ignorance is bliss.

I know that a Western wouldn’t be right on the Eastern region, so I don’t do it. Class 37s on the Southern? No idea, so I run it.

I do often think that we all assume everyone else knows far more about the subject that we do. If you had shown me a picture of a Class 37 running on your Southern layout I would have thought ‘Well that looks good’ and been none the wiser.

And there’s always Peter Denny’s Buckingham Great Central of course. Totally fictional, thus making a complete mockery of the hobby… or one of the finest examples of it in action? Depends on your point of view really… :)

Surely it's possible to have your cake and eat it?

Most of the time on Waverley West, I run stock reasonably faithful to the location and time setting, mainly because it "feels right" I suppose and because I'm looking to create a reasonable degree of realism. But then I also have refurbished 50s, Kestrel (yes, Kestrel) and (please don't tell anyone) a Heljan 86 (yes, I know, with no wires), which see outings when I feel like it. :D All good fun, without getting too worked up about it.

Cheers,

Dave

Ignorance is bliss.

I know that a Western wouldn’t be right on the Eastern region, so I don’t do it. Class 37s on the Southern? No idea, so I run it.

I do often think that we all assume everyone else knows far more about the subject that we do. If you had shown me a picture of a Class 37 running on your Southern layout I would have thought ‘Well that looks good’ and been none the wiser.

And there’s always Peter Denny’s Buckingham Great Central of course. Totally fictional, thus making a complete mockery of the hobby… or one of the finest examples of it in action? Depends on your point of view really… :)

I do believe Westerns and Hymeks worked across the North London Line to ER metals. Stratford certainly had diesel hydraulic visitors. I think one of the stipulations later on was that the Westerns had to have domino headcodes.

I don't think that was his point.

If you put the layout in a public arena - via the printed press, via an exhibition, via internet forums, then there is opportunity for those people who see it to interact with you and pass comment. It won't necessarily all be favourable, though will usually be well intentioned. If you're worried what negative things others will type/say/think, well keep it all secret. But I'd advise just growing a thick skin and doing your own thing.

Model for yourself, to meet your own tastes only, most especially on a home layout. I don't go for precise accuracy, more a broad brush approach in which I work to meet my own criteria on believability.

So while your Castle at Kyle would not suit my tastes, that wouldn't be your problem. To hell with me, if it's what you want to do. ;)

Yep, what he said. :)

I must admit that if I could afford it, there would be quite a few "strangers" available for my train set when the mood took me.

regards

Stewart

Aha! this is the ideal time to implement the concept I suggested in my thread 'imaginary locomotives'. Your location, Smallbridge, is imaginary, you cannot use any models of real locomotives, because all the real locomotives were busy providing real services in real places during the period you are modelling. If you like 37's imagine a service which needs them, then imagine extra members of the class to do the work. Simples!

Im pretty sure a 37 on the southern wouldnt be that bizarre and if you are modelling a fake location you could always add a fake freight service to justify your 37 if it helps.

Overall its your model and whatever floats your boat is fine. At the end of the day its whatever makes you happy. When any of us chose a setting for our layout a lot of what goes on is make believe.

Even some exhibition layouts do not mantain 100% of reality. Last year, or possibly the year before I saw 'Invergeachy' at the Colchester show. A great layout and I spent a lot of time watching it. For those of you that dont know Invergeachy is a modern scottish branchline terminus. It looked great and was highly believable but it still had 56's, a 67 hauled parcel train and numerous other items that would never be seen in that area in real life.

If you want justification for running something then I think if its a case of looks realistic, ie sits in with it surroundings' then its acceptable.

Hi,

I certainly use this phrase when running my layouts, both at home and at exhibitions!

I used to and still do buy engines / stock I like the look of, I don't really care that it is out of region or era (not that it really matters on either of my layouts!). I now find myself increasing think about whether that engine would look right on my layout or not, but I get told off for it by my dad, who says "It's our railway, we run what we like!"

At exhibtions I've only found myself a couple of times on the recieving end of "That won't run in kent" or "That's out of era" on my layout at exhibitions. This is because I suspect 50% of the poeple at exhibtions are just people who have seen the sign and wondered what its about or like railways, but don't know much about them.

But it's all in the eye of the beholder and a personnal choice!

Simon

Archived