Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

westerner

Not only I have seen Retford But I visited my friend SAD's layout Salmon Pastures, the layout is a  steam shed  based in Sheffield. For those who haven't seen it will be at the Barrow Hill Exhibition in September.

post-7090-0-00708900-1368796984_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-51936300-1368797019_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-11252300-1368797052_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-81884300-1368797084_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-50927900-1368797115_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-44369900-1368797195_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-25301100-1368797226_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-58645600-1368797259_thumb.jpg

The layout has been out and about, over the last few years it has been at Southwold, Sheffield, Nottingham, March and Chelmsford (last year).

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

81C if your talking about thro' coaches down to Kingswear, get hold of a copy of Operation Torbay By Xpress publishing, I think they do other books about Devon and Cornwall as wel as other places.

Talking of timetables.This is also something I've been looking at and have just found this online.Fabulous.Its in two parts and has loads of info.

http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/?atk=613

http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/files/temp/PLYMOUTH%20AREA%20SEP49%20A.pdf

http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/files/temp/PLYMOUTH%20AREA%20SEP49%20B.pdf

Hi 81C

I shall look forward to seeing your postings when your back allows! I know what you mean, as I pulled a muscle in my back a few days ago and had to put off making a lid for the fiddle yard on my layout, "Southall Lane".

All the best

exmoordave

81C if your talking about thro' coaches down to Kingswear, get hold of a copy of Operation Torbay By Xpress publishing, I think they do other books about Devon and Cornwall as wel as other places.

This is sound advice - the book is most informative.  However, I advise handling with care as there are some anomalies.  It purports to portray the scene in 1957 but refers throughout to Third Class which was abolished in 1956!  The author also implies that the Devonian was the only train on the Kingswear branch to sport BR standard coaches. This cannot be right as the coaches painted chocolate and cream in 1956 for the Torbay Express, Cornishman, Mayflower and Royal Duchy were all BR standard apart from the dining cars.  Apart from this the book is the next best thing to proper carriage working programmes but on the basis that an historian should not rely on just one source it is a good idea to consult CWPs if possible - which, thanks to Robert Carroll's Yahoo group, it is. 

Chris

• Like 2

Some really nice work, only looked at the last few pages so far. I am browsing the forum.(like a demented butterfly) But there is some lovely stuff here. Will definitely be back for a better look. I like the water, it's something I have tried several times on our own layout. Also like the sentences you add to pictures to set the scene. So glad I stumbled a across your layout.

Hi Alan,

Just been catching up on your thread, I must say its a super model railway the whole thing has a great feel about it and the time table really finishes it off, all the trains having a reason for being there. 

looking forwards to see whats due next.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan

I will have to find where the Hackney siding are you and Robin keep sending your freight trains there, again another set of nice photo's that something else i need to get to grips with.

81C

:O  :O  Shock horror - not knowing where Hackney Yard was (now used by the PWay folk (to a small extent).  Immediately east of Newton Abbot on the north side of the Teign.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff again, Alan - as others have said, it makes things seem so much more realistic with having real places & plausible timings.

bit worried by this, though -

You may have noticed that there was no branch connection to Slapton with this train the connection being made by the Grey Cars Coach waiting in the station forecourt.

Competition from the roads? :O Bit TOO realistic... ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Competition from the roads? :O Bit TOO realistic... ;)

You used to be able to catch a bus to Salcombe from Kingsbridge station organised by the GWR themselves.

• Like 1

In the parallel universe back in 1961 there was a Western National bus service from Totnes to Kingsbridge and a train service from Brent to Kingsbridge.  Both were shown in the railway timetable.  The columns relating to the bus were garnished with the note "heavy luggage not conveyed".  This would be a couple of years after Cliff Richard's hit "Travelling Light"!  Was this BR trying to be helpful, given that more trains called at Totnes than at Brent, or did it have something to do with the train service from Kingsbridge to Brent mostly comprising single unit railcars?  In a recent issue of Railway Bylines there is a photo of a bubble car hauling an ordinary coach out of Kingsbridge as an unofficial trailer and to judge by the clouds of clag it does not like doing it!

Chris

• Like 1

7014 was one of the ones fitted with the Davies & metcalf Mec lubricator, she should have the oil well on the side of the smoke box and the Mec lub box was smaller than the standard one fitted to he rest of the class, just in case your interested.