RMweb

Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

westerner

Well I got my copy earlier today and read the Wencombe article this evening.
It's a very good artical Alan, lots of great pictures and a good read. It's nice to see the layout in the super high glossy pages of Hornby Magazine. Wencombe's even on the front cover! ;)

559917_638324676216405_1798539728_n.jpg

Cheers, Reece

• Like 5

Alan

Are you going to get an AC cars rail bus for the Slapton Branch or what about a Standard class 3 tank?

Paul R

It is very tempting, but as I fsaid towards the end of the article in Hornby mag things might be changing, I also have a shelf queen which has been languishing on my shelf for about 3-4 years to finish ( a class 120 DMU)

Ah I was wondering what happened to that? I went right though the thread again yesterday and found myself thinking we had not seen it since it was nearly finished. I have several models in that category none of which would take a long time to complete. I just keep getting distracted on other things!

Paul R

It is the windows that have held it up. Read the instructions. It appears the few microns of primer and paint make the windows difficult to fit. I should have fitted the windows before painting, although logically  a coach is easier to paint without the windows present.

One extra service you could run is the attaching/detaching of a coach from a London express conveying pupils to the Slapton Grange Ladies College at the start and end of a term.

The College closed in the 1980's as a result of a poor reputation through being one of the inspirations for St Trinions. In the same way that pupils that went to Eton are known as Old Etonians, pupils at Slapton were known as Old Slaptonians. However this inevitably got shortened to Old Slappers and the fate of the School was sealed.

It's now in the care of the National Trust.

Then you could do the Kingsbridge to Slapton workers trains for those working at Slapton A Nuclear Power Station or the Royal Navy Slapton submarine base. Oh dear we are off into the realms of fantasy now.

Having said that it could form the basis of a more recent history of the line. One could suggest that passenger services ceased in 1970 on the branch but it was kept open to serve the navy and the power station when it was truncated by about a mile from the former terminus.

Because of the more direct route to London, it could also be supposed that the line through Wencombe was kept open to Kingsbridge and has survived to a basic hourly Sprinter service with a through HST and a handful of Cross Country trains to Newcastle and Glasgow. Apart from nuclear traffic and that to the docks all other freight would have gone and most sidings ripped up apart from to to the goods shed which was taken over by the PWay team latterly passing to Colas.

On second thoughts I think I prefer your version!

Paul R

• Like 1

It has been going through my mind for several months to alter Wencombe and make it the end of the line ie Kingsbridge (in Wencombe land Kingsbridge Regis), as mentioned to wards the end of the Hornby article. The plan is roughly based on a flipped plan of Kingswear, and at the moment still involves a roundy-roundy bit  (for running in and watching the trains go by) called the harbour branch.The station throat would stay as it is. It would certainly enable me to have a bigger fiddle yard with about 11 or 12 sidings. Although there is an idea of just having the terminus and no roundy-roundy.

Any way first thoughts.

post-7090-0-78436000-1395057685_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I must go out and buy the HM. It's a brilliant layout.

It seems to have plenty of interest, through station and branch terminus plus sidings and diary. I'd be reluctant to change it if it works for you.

I think that SRP makes a very good point here - changing from through station to terminus is quite a leap in many resects and really becomes far more of a two person operation unless you have a potential misjointed situation with your train working.  I would also think very carefully about some aspects of the plan - the carriage sidings will be awkward to work using a platform as a headshunt all the time (as no doubt the real ones were!) and accessing the turntable via the goods yard could also be awkward.

However if your past approach is anything to go on you will n doubt be thinking through all of this very carefully before getting to the actual rebuilding.

SwissRailPassion, on 17 Mar 2014 - 13:13, said:

It seems to have plenty of interest, through station and branch terminus plus sidings and diary. I'd be reluctant to change it if it works for you.

After 6+ years I think I need a new challenge, particularly as this would involve a few more buildings which I will admit is not my strong point, more into greenery. However I feel a terminus gives one more to do than a through station. It's still not finally decided yet.

I do like a good history to a line and I certainly like the idea of the Old Slappers, perhaps they have a re-union every year.

Alan

Just let me know when you are expecting this visit from these "Old Slappers" and I'll make time to come round and appear knowledgeable!!!!

SAD    :sadclear:

See you tomorrow SAD, and you never know what you might see.

Mike the carriage sidings off the platform are straight out of Kingswear as you probably know, and the turntable is off the present loco shed headshunt, most goods will be going down the harbour branch. As the layout does not leave home I'm not over worried about the time any manoeuvre takes. In fact being able to have a much larger fiddleyard (11 or 12 sidings to the present ) means less handling of stock, therefore saving time at that end and also less possible damage to stock. Only locos to turn rather than at the moment removing whole trains.

However nothing will start until I get a good picture in my head of the final look of the layout.

Edited by westerner
  • Like 2