Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby A3 Double Chimney

Hi Guys

I want to change the chimney on one of my standard Hornby A3's from single to double.

Has anyone carried out this operation, if so I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

My plan was to carefully cut off the existing plastic single chimney, then file away as much as possible flush with the boiler profile and glue on a double chimney of white metal, that is assuming I can purchase this item.

Does this sound OK or is there an easier way of doing this.

I am told that the existing single chimney on the newer loco driven Hornby A3's are all part of the loco body and not a separate item.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Regards

David

Can I ask where you got your single chimney?

I used a whitemetal Wills Finecast Chimney which they sell as spares. I cant remember the price but very reasonable and good detail there are pictures on my LNER Models thread. Its the NRM version conversion .

I used a whitemetal Wills Finecast Chimney which they sell as spares. I cant remember the price but very reasonable and good detail there are pictures on my LNER Models thread. Its the NRM version conversion .

Thanks. I remember a time when you could buy all sorts of turned brass chimneys from the likes of W&H and Crownline. Those were the days!

Thanks to all of you who replied to my question re A3 Double Chimneys.

Message for Micklner

How do I find the photos on your LNER models thread, is there a link?

Regards

David

I have just checked and my thread has disapeared !! no idea why I have just PM'd Andy Y hopefully it can be relisted , I will post here any update

Mick

Hi Guys

Update on the fitting of a double chimney to an existing loco driven RTR Hornby A3.

I took Micklner's advise and purchased a couple of white metal double chimneys from Wills Finecast who are now known as South Eastern Finecast.

The quality and detail are very good and only £2.00 per chimney plus postage, excellent service came in a few days after placing the order by telephone.

Also I found out that the existing plastic chimneys fitted to the newer Hornby A3's are glued in so just grip with a pair of pliers a quick twist and away it comes clean all in one piece.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

David

Archived