PDK Loco Kits

Tim Lewis

Just had a look at the PDK website for the first time in a while. They have some pictures of a test etch for a GW 47xx, which will no doubt be of interest to someicon_yawn.gif wink.gif , but there's quite a few LNER kits in the offing, including a B16/2, B16/3 and P2 under development. Of most interest for me however is the 'potential' kit for a C15 (other potential ones include also C12, C16, A5, O4/7, Q6). Yaaay!! I was always disappointed that Jim McGeown (Connoiseur) didn't get round to reducing his 7mm C15 before he decided to abandon 4mm. I definitely need a C15 (or maybe 2) for Coldstream, so , if anyone from PDK is reading this: please prioritise the C15!! There are some other potential kits as well (from other, less important parts of the countrylaugh.gif )

Anyone who has D10 and D11 kits in their range can expect a visit soon.

And as for an A5? Well i know the auld Craftsman one is still about but it is rather long in the toenails...

Anyone built any of the PDK beasts?

And as for unimportant parts of the county? Yer tawkin tosh mon :icon_winker:

PDK Kits

Your wish is granted... :blink:

Anyone who has D10 and D11 kits in their range can expect a visit soon.

And as for an A5? Well i know the auld Craftsman one is still about but it is rather long in the toenails...

And as for unimportant parts of the county? Yer tawkin tosh mon icon_winker.gif

PDK Kits

Your wish is granted... blink.gif

52 F are doing a A5 soon. I have built a PDK A1/1 recently and I would prefer DJH anytime

Mick

London Road do a C12 already and while I'm a fan of PDK I can't see theirs being better. What about a C13/4 instead? Or an F1?

Yup on C13/14's :icon_drool:

And what about some J9/10 action as well :icon_cool:

I haven't, as yet, but I have a D30 in the drawer. Etches look good. I saw one built up on Intercity Models stand somewhere a couple of years back, was very nice. Didn't measure it up but by eye it looked like it should be readily P4-able.

Bill Bedfords chassis for the Craftsman A5 dropped on my doormat yesterday, it looks quite nice. fully sprung with plastic brake shoes and spring hangers.

I thought it was an N5 they were planning not a A5.

David

An etched N5???

Hmmmmmmm :blink:

With an SEFinecast one around? Mind is the SEF any good - I know they are adding some overlays to do the riveted majority but is the actual shape any good? An etched N5 would certainly get my cash...

Might be an idea for a few words about this A5 chassis from the Bedford Etching Emporium if its the mutts plums...

Bill Bedfords chassis for the Craftsman A5 dropped on my doormat yesterday, it looks quite nice. fully sprung with plastic brake shoes and spring hangers.

David

Could you put some pictures up of that on here unless your doing a build article for MRJ. Be interesting to see the brake gear bits.

Is that a plastic/resin boiler and tender body I see on the PDK 47xx :( :(

that will make for some fun soldering - bah - hate it when they do that - make as well go back to Airfix plastic kits.

very disappointing.

Now now don't start that :P. You could easily epoxy screws in the firebox and smokebox to screw the boiler to the footplate. safety valve/top feed will need gluing on but the chimney could be soldered to the wrapper. The flare on a GW tender is a right faff so the resin/plastic effort here may be a big improvement. The top section is still in brass so retains the thin edge. I'd imagine it is resin instead of plastic and i've had no issues soldering around it when used correctly.

The underpinnings on PDK kits are still a bit basic and wider gauge conversions do need your own springing and hornblock cutouts doing. Those coupling rods don't look like anything to write home about.

I was disappointed when the 42xx/72xx as the bunker had no cutout, the footplate only covered one version and there were quite a few detail elements missing.

I don;t know if Intercity Models just retails the kits or has a part in commissioning them.

Seems he has none left :

None left from the ones I sold before but we are putting this on a production etch (with errors corrected), it will be much the same as before, i.e. no castings etc. and boiler/firebox components not included.

Michael Edge

You can expect an email soon sir........................... happy-142.GIF

I seem to recall you saying as such may happen and that you'd contact me come to think of it.

I can see a Frankenstein maybe?

SEF + Judith Edge = "Its alive.............................?"

Now now don't start that :P. You could easily epoxy screws --snip-- need gluing --snip-- the chimney could be soldered to the wrapper before gluing it on --snip-- top section is still in brass so also needs glueing

as I said, bah :D :D mixed media - glue/epoxy resin/plastic just isn't pure metal kit building ;)

Yes, and an all resin or all plastic kit is a different beast - I am as happy with them as anyone - I just find the idea of gluing a part alien to a metal kit to be soldered together. You might as well glue the whole kit together - looks really smart. no solder runs, no soldering skill required, falls apart when tapped.

I am not saying I have never glued bits on - just that I think, as I am doing it, that I am being some sort of traitor or committing blasphemy to the cause - something I'd rather do in a darkened room behind closed doors :D

52F are here .

http://52fmodels.web...om/default.aspx

Havent tried anything of theirs so far but looks good

Mick

Just had a look at their site, they seem to be very busy expanding their range quite extensively: interestingly, they're doing a replacement chassis for the PDK D30 (which I have unbuilt, see above). I was anticipating having to do a fair bit of work to the kit chassis, but maybe the 52F one will save me some work. Their site does say however that it will be compensated (I much prefer sprung), and is designed for 'EM' (why not P4?), so maybe I'll stick with my original plan.

Just had a look at their site, they seem to be very busy expanding their range quite extensively: interestingly, they're doing a replacement chassis for the PDK D30 (which I have unbuilt, see above). I was anticipating having to do a fair bit of work to the kit chassis, but maybe the 52F one will save me some work. Their site does say however that it will be compensated (I much prefer sprung), and is designed for 'EM' (why not P4?), so maybe I'll stick with my original plan.

Not sure if you saw the CAD here http://52fmodels.web.officelive.com/homepageQ6.aspx look at the way the bearings are fixed to the compensation beams with no proper hornblocks, just elongated holes in the frame. The other system for tenders seems to be normal bearings sliding in elongated holes with the compensation beams bearing on the axle instead of hornblocks.

I'd say you'd be better off using the supplied chassis with say High Level hornblocks + adaptors for continuous springy beam based on the clag website calculator. It does say on that page though "Several customers have successfully built the chassis to to P4 standards.".

Archived