Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

What system should I go with now?

RedgateModels

• RMweb Gold

As the title says really, Dynamis refuses to get a signal at all in the room where Summat Colliery is set up for tomorrow's show. Works fine here back home.

I have a Select, but will it drive the MERG pulsed accessory decoders? blink.gif

Need to get in touch with disco-dave and get him to bring his Powercab tomorrow ..........

• RMweb Gold

tried turning out the lights in the room, no joy sad.gif

Hi Ian,

Did you manage to get it all sorted out?

That is does the Select operate Merg accessory decoders, or did you manage to ge the Dynamis to work?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Did you manage to get it all sorted out?

That is does the Select operate Merg accessory decoders, or did you manage to ge the Dynamis to work?

nah, no chance of getting Dynamis to work, whatever I tried. Good job disco-dave brought his Powercab (cheers mate biggrin.gif )

Think I need a backup plan for the future as Select won't work with normal accessory decoders (needs it's own special ones)

Have you got some material you could have above the layout, it sounds like it could be a lighting issue Ian causing interference?

I think Andy has hit the proverbial nail here. Certain types of fluorescent lighting seem to interfere with Dynamis signal. I can never get Dynamis to work when I play with it at my dealer.

• RMweb Gold

I did say I'd turned the lights off in the room. It was not a question of an intermittent/weak connection - there just was nothing.

Anyway, disco-dave's Powercab got us through and now my thoughts turn to the future. Ideally I want a system with two handsets/cabs - at least one wired in case of the above problems occurring at another venue. Want the two handsets so that one operator can shunt etc at the front of the layout and the other marshalling at the rear so that things can flow more smoothly.

Is there an option for a wired handset to fit the Dynamis Pro-Box, does the Ecoslink allow for this?

What otehr options do I have, thought about Elite and using my Select as a secondary slave, but then it means junking Dynamis, which I really like to use unsure.gif

I did say I'd turned the lights off in the room. It was not a question of an intermittent/weak connection - there just was nothing.

Anyway, disco-dave's Powercab got us through and now my thoughts turn to the future. Ideally I want a system with two handsets/cabs - at least one wired in case of the above problems occurring at another venue. Want the two handsets so that one operator can shunt etc at the front of the layout and the other marshalling at the rear so that things can flow more smoothly.

Is there an option for a wired handset to fit the Dynamis Pro-Box, does the Ecoslink allow for this?

What otehr options do I have, thought about Elite and using my Select as a secondary slave, but then it means junking Dynamis, which I really like to use unsure.gif

If you really like the Dynamis format, then wait until the ESU Navigator comes out and buy that, same format but with radio instead of IR, and put the Dynamis on ebay. The Navigator is supposed to be here by the end of the year, but ESU seem to have long delays in getting new products to market. The ECoSControl Radio is already over a year late. So don't hold your breath. Alternatively go for the ECoS, you might be able to pick up a 2nd hand one on ebay, I'm guessing that there will be existing ECoS users upgrading to colour when it finally arrives (it's also late), that's what I'm thinking of doing. and add an ECoSControl Radio when that lands. Again same format as Dynamis, but with radio not IR and more functionality than the Dynamis.

• RMweb Gold

If you really like the Dynamis format, then wait until the ESU Navigator comes out and buy that, same format but with radio instead of IR, and put the Dynamis on ebay. The Navigator is supposed to be here by the end of the year, but ESU seem to have long delays in getting new products to market. The ECoSControl Radio is already over a year late. So don't hold your breath. Alternatively go for the ECoS, you might be able to pick up a 2nd hand one on ebay, I'm guessing that there will be existing ECoS users upgrading to colour when it finally arrives (it's also late), that's what I'm thinking of doing. and add an ECoSControl Radio when that lands. Again same format as Dynamis, but with radio not IR and more functionality than the Dynamis.

Pretty certain that I've read the Navigator is only available as a slave controller for the ECoS, and cant be used as a standalone system. As I was thinking it looked a pretty good option if it had been a full system...

Probably a movement sensor or similar which isn't turned off by the lights.

Wireless. In Europe you are a bit limited if you want radio, there are several promised EU/UK legal products (eg. ESU, Digitrax), but not yet on sale. Similarly for linking the Dynamis back to an ESU system, its promise, nothing actually available. Also, on the ESU front, you might find the prices a bit expensive if your comparisons are Elite, PowerCab, etc..

Two handset options.

The PowerCab can have a second handset added. This can be either another "full" PowerCab handset, or one of NCE's simpler driving thottles for ??50-60 (lacks the programming/setup capabilities, which I would suggest is a good thing on second handsets!). The second handset can be plugged and unplugged at will (fit multiple sockets around the layout).

Elite, I'd say don't go there. I find them painful to operate; far too many button presses to get anything done. If you want a "desk" style system, then I'd suggest a Digitrax Zephyr is easier to use than an Elite, and a lot more expandable with several different options for additional handsets (two styles from Digitrax, plus the Uhlenbrock Fred and possibly others).

• RMweb Gold

Ta for that chaps, I've aos been pondering the MERG route, maybe seperating the accessory control from the loco control then I could use my Select as a standby.

Bit concerned though that for a show environment I need something a bit more high end, so what to do .....

Must say I have considered ECoS, but it is expensive (for my pocket at least!)

didn't realise you could use two Powercabs together, might be an option then, even though it's not my handset of choice!

If you really like the Dynamis format, then wait until the ESU Navigator comes out and buy that, same format but with radio instead of IR, ....

Sorry Keith that's totally wrong.

The Navigator uses IR and not Radio.

I think you may be getting cofused with the ECoSControl Radio.

Pretty certain that I've read the Navigator is only available as a slave controller for the ECoS, and cant be used as a standalone system. As I was thinking it looked a pretty good option if it had been a full system...

Rich I think you are getting different systems mixed up.

The Navigator is a stand alone system.

It uses IR wireless and is similar to a Dynamis Pro (Dynamis + Pro Box) contained in one housing rather than two.

The main difference from Dynamis is that it is also a Marklin/Motorola system as well as DCC.

The wireless handset that uses Radio instead of IR, is the ECoSControl Radio. This is a wireless handset for the ECoS system and is not a "slave", or stand-alone system.

• RMweb Gold

Rich I think you are getting different systems mixed up.

The Navigator is a stand alone system.

It uses IR wireless and is similar to a Dynamis Pro (Dynamis + Pro Box) contained in one housing rather than two.

The main difference from Dynamis is that it is also a Marklin/Motorola system as well as DCC.

The wireless handset that uses Radio instead of IR, is the ECoSControl Radio. This is a wireless handset for the ECoS system and is not a "slave", or stand-alone system.

Thats the job,

The perils of assuming the guy who posted before you got the name right I guess. Other than remembering these things exist, I dont pay that much attention to names etc :blink:

Wireless. In Europe you are a bit limited if you want radio, there are several promised EU/UK legal products (eg. ESU, Digitrax), but not yet on sale. Similarly for linking the Dynamis back to an ESU system, its promise, nothing actually available.

There are EU standard wireless systems, or handsets already on sale (e.g. CT Elektronic, Zimo etc, ) ; but you are right that we are still waiting for ESU's and Roco's promised offerings, which were both due at least 6 months ago.

As for the US manufacturers; Digitrax have promised EU spec. radio but it hasn't happened yet; but I think it's doubtful whether MRC, NCE or CVP will go down this route as apart from the UK, they have virtually Zero presence anywhere else in Europe. I just can't see it being economically viable for them.

As for tethered handsets for the Dynamis. Apart from the promised link to ECoS via ECoSlink, the Dynamis Pro was supposed to support tethered handsets directly via the ECoSlink (I think the blurb said up to a max of 128 handsets?).

As yet there's nothing available that can be used.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. You've confused ECoSControl Radio which can only be used as a wireless slave for the ECoS or Maerklin CS1, with the Navigator which is a fully fledged stand alone system. The ECoSControl Radio, Navigator and Dynamis all share the same body shell and hence ergonomics.

In theory you can connect a Dynamis via its Pro Box or the Navigator via their ECoSLink ports to an ECoS and use them as slaves, but ESU have still to release an update to the ECoS operating system to allow it to recognise the Pro Box.

Suggest you have a look at the ESU web site http://www.esu.eu/en...tale-steuerung/ to see the differences. It will be interesting to see which arrives first Navigator or ECoSControl Radio, and more to the point, when!

Apologies about my error on the Navigator, as others have said, it uses IR not radio.

Hi Redgate,

I've been a very happy user of the original ECoS ( B/W, low resolution, standard ratio ), and before that had Roco Lokmaus2 and Lenz100. The ECoS is ultra versatile, gets constant free enhancements with free software upgrades. You have two control knobs, and each can control 6 loco's with direct toggling between them. There's a drawn trackplan option on it, and in the future, also integrated use of the Lokprogrammer software ( for decoder programming and sound setting/programming ). Programming and controlling is a bliss, very versatile, intuitive, and there are Windows style help options everywhere, if you get stuck. You can set it to many languages as well.

I owned one for 2 years, prior to owning a layout yet. Had fired it up 2-3 times, only briefly, and then had it with me at the 2008 Model Rail Scotland exhibition, where I was demonstrating for DEMU. I had it with me, just to control my sound/smoke loco's. Many people started asking about the ECoS though. Also all kinds of in depth questions. As I had hardly used it yself yet, I was not a confident user yet, with very limited knowledge, but didn't dare showing that. So went along bravely demonstrating it as if I was so experienced, but the intuitiveness of the unit helped me to get through easily.

The unit has touchscreen as well. For loco speed control and function control, you have a choice to use the bottons or the screen. One follows the other. The new version will be colour screen, same size, but wide screen ratio, and 5 times the resolution. The bottons have LEDs to show state in the dark better.

Last Glasgow show, I got an offer for the ECoS. A very good one, more then I paid for it initially. This allowed the other to get one still cheap-ish, considering the UK price, and I could have a relative cheap upgrade to a colour version.

I've just decided to change layout plans. The new layout will have less tracks, less ( multiple ) movements, and will not be transportable. I still prefer push button control for speed, as this allows for finer control, without unintended "error" settings ( too high/too low ), and can be operated to these settings without looking at it. A downside personally I feel with the rotary button of the ECoS ( or any other brand ). I may therefor invest in NCE Powerhouse Pro ( Radio ) instead. Never used/tried one yet though. Am curious about others opinions on the NCE system.

Talking about radio / wireless. There is the ECoS Radio Contol, which looks as a Dynamis. Not stand alone, but add-on to the ECoS only. If you're to use the colour ECoS, a backwards step in view options. Alternatively, and possibly cheaper even, is using the Apple iPhone or iPod Touch as wireless throttle. There's a ??5 software for it, called Touch Cab, and works only with an ECoS system. All you need is to hook the ECoS, with its built in PC interface, to a wireless network, to allow communiocations between ECoS and iPhone / iPod Touch. I've seen this software live, and it's very neath !!!!

Regards, Michel

..... Alternatively, and possibly cheaper even, is using the Apple iPhone or iPod Touch as wireless throttle. There's a ??5 software for it, called Touch Cab, and works only with an ECoS system. All you need is to hook the ECoS, with its built in PC interface, to a wireless network, to allow communiocations between ECoS and iPhone / iPod Touch. I've seen this software live, and it's very neath !!!!

I've got to agree with you there Michel, the TouchCab option looks brilliant for ECoS owners.

On the old V3 forum, there was a topic about this fantastically cheap product (downloadable from the Apple Store for a Fiver !) All you need is an iPod Touch or iPhone

Now that the 3rd Generation iPod Touch has been released, with built-in speech control of its functions, how long before the TouchCab app. is updated to allow speech control of your trains via the ECoS? :icon_drool:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

You could go for the Zimo MX31ZL starter system:-

http://www.dccsuppli...products_id=891

Or the radio CT Elekronic system.

http://www.dccsuppli...roducts_id=1037

Both expensive though, zimo cheaper but not radio, although you could add that later, unfortunately top end systems cost top end moneysad.gif

Why not the NCE?

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Why not the NCE?

Cheers

Ian

I just struggle to get used to it. I had a go with disco-dave's before I got Dynamis and didn't like it and after using it for two days operating Summat Colliery I still am not sure.

The option of plugging two systems together though looks like being a cheap option for both of us to have our own throttle - I may have to get used to the NCE in an exhibition environment. Still might find some additional external way of controlling the points though ...

• RMweb Gold

I just struggle to get used to it. I had a go with disco-dave's before I got Dynamis and didn't like it and after using it for two days operating Summat Colliery I still am not sure.

The option of plugging two systems together though looks like being a cheap option for both of us to have our own throttle - I may have to get used to the NCE in an exhibition environment. Still might find some additional external way of controlling the points though ...

I use the PowerCab on my Thomas layout, the points are all still operated by switches though.

As you already have the Merg decoders, why not use the Merg encoder, would you then be able to use switches for the points depending on the controller being used?

Or could the Cbus system be utilised for this?

I use the SMD82 accessory decoder, which is great as I can operate the points via the controller or connect switches to it so the best of both worlds.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

The lenz telephone adaptor is probably the cheapest wireless add on to a system you can get, although obviously the lenz set 100 isnt cheap to begin with.

Zimo's new systems are due soon, they claim it will cheaper than the outgoing ones, and have bi directional radio to the handsets.

These two systems also come with Railcom integrated into current firmware , something all other manufacturers currently lack, if that is a likely step in the future.

NCE MultiPanel, which is a board which accepts 30 push buttons as inputs. Each button can be set to control turnouts, locos, whatever (each button can have a tiny macro sequence attached to it). Its a bargain component price at around ??30-40, but does occupy one throttle space in the NCE system.

• RMweb Gold

NCE MultiPanel, which is a board which accepts 30 push buttons as inputs. Each button can be set to control turnouts, locos, whatever (each button can have a tiny macro sequence attached to it). Its a bargain component price at around ??30-40, but does occupy one throttle space in the NCE system.

but there is another bit that I can get to add a couple more throttle spaces isn't there, so I could have two PowerCab throttles and a MultiPanel operating the points?

Looks like I'm going further down the road to spending money with John at Bromsgrove .....

I'd also add that I've approx ??160 burning a hole in my pocket following a good day yesterday selling excess stock biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

Zimo's new systems are due soon, they claim it will cheaper than the outgoing ones, and have bi directional radio to the handsets.

Interesting,

Look forward to seeing more on that, was always rather tempted by Zimo and if its a bit cheaper that just makes it even more tempting! Though I suppose the strong Euro/Weak Pound will still mean its rather costly...

Archived