What system should I go with now?

RedgateModels

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Yes the PowerCab as it stands will only be able to have one other item connected to it, be that another throttle or the multipanel.

You can't just unplug the main PowerCab throttle and walk around with it somewhere else though.

The next stage up is to buy the Smart Booster and it's own 3amp power supply.

This will then allow a further 3 items to be connected and will allow full walk about, so you can unplug them and plug them back in at a different location.

I use this set up.

The PCP panel that comes in the PowerCab box(where you plug the power supply into) I leave connected to a test bit of track. It's just a case of unplugging the PowerCab throttle and moving it to where required.

Of course all this means nothing if you don't really feel comfortable using it.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Bit of confusion here, I don;t intend unplugging anything during a show, we found one throttle in the middle of the layout was fine over the weekend. I just want another throttle so that two operators can operate seperate locos as the same time.

Is there no option other than the smartbooster to get a couple more throttle bays, purely for the MultiPanel?

• RMweb Gold

Not that I know of.

The PowerCab is limited to 1 extra handset at thats it.

The Smart booster allows you to have another 3 handsets and give the walkabout ability if required.

Mmmm, the only other solution I can think of is to have a look at the Gaugemaster PA2 this is very similar to the PowerCab, but will allow extra handsets to be added from the off.

Some of the downloads available from MRC who actually make the gaugemaster one:-

http://www.modelrec....iew.asp?ID=7735

This would also operate the accessory decoders as well.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I emailled Digitrax about their wireless handset in September and got a quick reply that they were having problems getting it certificated in Europe due to the paperwork required. They could only say they are hoping it will be available soon.

Certain digitrax retailers already offer the wireless option with warnings that it isn't UK legal but be warned that apart form the legality it does interfere with UK legal radio systems like LGB's MTS so you could get real problems at a show.

but there is another bit that I can get to add a couple more throttle spaces isn't there, so I could have two PowerCab throttles and a MultiPanel operating the points?

Yes, the Smart Booster SB3 will allow up to four throttles.

A MiniPanel counts as one throttle.

More than four throttles, and you require the PowerPro system.

Keep an eye on Digitrax as the current offerings still give the option to plug in anywhere you fit a socket. This could just as easily be a Zephyr. Use the Zephyr throttle round the back with the option of a DT400 anywhere else.

I am pretty sure that a Zephyr would power Summat Colliery.

Biggest problem would be the lack of feedback from the MERG accessory decoders but I do have a DS64 just back from repair which I would be happy to loan you until run in. That's four point motors taken care of.

Although radio seems a good option I think that the problems of batteries in the handset outweigh the benefits. Very few exhibition layouts, I suspect, would want to be reliant on batteries in any way.

Keep an eye on Digitrax as the current offerings still give the option to plug in anywhere you fit a socket. This could just as easily be a Zephyr. Use the Zephyr throttle round the back with the option of a DT400 anywhere else.........

Although radio seems a good option I think that the problems of batteries in the handset outweigh the benefits. Very few exhibition layouts, I suspect, would want to be reliant on batteries in any way.

One advantage of Digitrax' throttle designs is that they are wireless AND wired, so if the battery does go, or there is interference, drop back to wired operation with a few sockets on the layout. Essentially you are buying "IR plus wired" throttles or, for more money, "Radio plus IR plus wired".

I just wish Digitrax would get the new Duplex radio throttles approved for EU/UK and into their dealers.

One advantage of Digitrax' throttle designs is that they are wireless AND wired,

Of course, one forgets. My DT400 is IR equipped. All I need is the IR receiver and......a battery.

AARRGGHHH!!!

Incidentally, the 'bought as IR' ones have a shorter cable, which is good when the battery works and is a pain in the..... when it is flat whereas the non IR one has a long curly cable which is a PITA when not plugged in.

Then again, Digitrax do the UT4 (much cheaper) but do I read on the old forum that this throttle is not too good in certain vital areas such as not remembering addresses when unplugged?

Of course, John of Bromsgrove (who I met at Railex SW) has a range for you including both Digitrax and NCE. I have no experience of NCE but if you don't get on with the keypad, all is lost. ECoS is a great standalone two throttle station that currently has no real add ons or plug in bus extras including hand held throttles. Lenz is another option and Andi of Dagworth knows most about that.

If it is purely price and NCE is not on the list but exhibition grade reliability is, then the Digitrax Zephyr plus a DT400 (IR to your choice but I wouldn't bother) would be a good bet.

Hi,

There's the relative cheap option of a Roco Multimaus, which is a quite well rated system.

Here a full set including transformer for a mere 90 Euro ( Buy It Now ) on German eBay.

These sets are so cheap on eBay, as these come from cheap and split up stater sets.

Alternatively, it's also available ( or to be released soon ? ) as a wireless system, Multimaus Pro.

There seem to be two sets, 10831 and 10832, with the latter also containing Rocomotion software ( a bit like Railroad & Co ).

Prices are much steeper here, all around the 400 Euro mark.

Likely because it's not yet on the market, and will not come out of cheap starter sets.

To Ron,

NCE / NCE Radio, or ECoS2 + Ipod Touch + Touch Cab ?

Decisions, decisions.................................

Any opinions on NCE ? Please tell them here as well please !!!!!!

Regards, Michel

Guest 009matt

Hi, I had similar problems at an exhibition with East Hants Lt Rly - at home it works fine, at shows, it just won't connect adequately - seems to be a combination of IR wavelengths of similar frequency coupled with lack of walls for signal to reflect off, at Wickham, we were in a sound proofed gun room, which seemed to absorb the signal even more.....traded it in for gaugemaster prodigy at end of 1st day of ex, got super smooth running and lost all connection problems - -meant faultless running next day and a larger expandable system

Of course, one forgets. My DT400 is IR equipped. All I need is the IR receiver and......a battery.

Or you could get your DT400 upgraded to a DT402D with duplex radio link (not IR) but then you'd also need a UR92 receiver in the system.

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Have you got the pro box ? If not this might be worth a read. I know it may be more money to spend but at least it saves you buying a new system.

http://www.dccconcep...andecisions.htm

Make sure you read the part about the pro box.

Hope that helps.

Not sure where you are going with this one, if it's the bit about better IR coverage etc then this is a red herring. I didn't have black spots/dropouts etc I had NO coverage at all, nothing not even 12" from the base unit. I don't think another receiver unit (or two) would have made a blind bit of difference in this room.

To be honest, I'm seriously considering getting a PowerCab for exhibition use for the reasons posted earlier (can plug disco-dave's handset into my system so that we have a throttle each)

I am open to suggestions though as I don;t really need to do anything before April next year - my last show this year is Wycrail in November and I'm on my tod. It's a sports hall type environment so Dynamis should be happy.....

• RMweb Gold

Fair enough you know the conditions that Dynamis is working under. If you are at a hobby show and a dealer has a pro box for sale why not ask him if you can try before you buy. It just might make a difference, its worth a try.

Cheers

That might have to be an option at Wycrail wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

Interesting,

Look forward to seeing more on that, was always rather tempted by Zimo and if its a bit cheaper that just makes it even more tempting! Though I suppose the strong Euro/Weak Pound will still mean its rather costly...

Indeed.

You can see an image and some handset estimated costs in the pdf newsletter.

Zimo site

Link is on the right hand side, the July one has the info. Its probably farther along now, but the translation of the newsletters runs behind sometimes.

Needless to say, their idea if 'cheaper' and mind differ somewhat.

I suspect they are targetting a combined cost of handset and base station near to the ECoS price.

I've always bene tempted, my next layout is likely to be large and all sound equipped (US Outline), the 8 amps output and the canbus for static decoder modules and the like are very appealing, even if the price isnt.

I'm hoping Lenz are working on more ergonomic controllers and better wireless implimentation that doesnt rely on a phone handset really, as Ive always found my lenz equipment flawless in what it does.

Well I've more or less made my mind up to go with a Digitrax Super Chief system. My decision was mainly based on price and features against NCE Power Cab Pro.

I have the money and it's burning a hole in my pocket, should I buy it now, or wait for Warley in the hope of a better deal?

You see, even when you've made your mind up what to buy, there's always another reason to procrastinate aaarrrggghhh!

• RMweb Gold

Indeed.

You can see an image and some handset estimated costs in the pdf newsletter.

Zimo site

Link is on the right hand side, the July one has the info. Its probably farther along now, but the translation of the newsletters runs behind sometimes.

Just been searching through their archive without any luck, seems a rather tricky site to find any infomation on!

edit: Google to the rescue... looks rather good, just hope it does turn out to be around ECoS pricing...

http://www.zimo.at/web2007/newsletter/ZIMO_Newsletter_2009_JULI_E.pdf

• RMweb Gold

This is interesting. I have used my dynamis at shows twicw so far, one a open room (about 15 x 40 yards) and the other a more enclosed room. Not had a problem so far but will bear this in mind for next weekend!.

Me too, never had a problem until the night of the 9th. I got NO signal at all, a brief indication of signal strength on turn on then rapidly decaying to nothing within a second. The room must have been full of IR (there was a PIR intruder detector and lots of emergency lighting etc)

disco-dave is lending me his Powercab just in case for Wycrail, but as it's a sports hall environment I think I should be okay.

It's a shame as I was considering Pro Box, extra handset, extra receivers etc but now ... looks like a PowerCab, smartbooster and minipanel are the way to go for Summat Colliery

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Back to the PowerCab and mini panel - can someone confirm I have the right end of the stick ...

The mini panel allows an external panel of pushbuttons to be made up and connected so that the pushbuttons operate DCC accessory decoders via the exisiting DCC bus? Can you still operate the accessories (points) via the handset too?

This is what I hope for, so that I can have buttons at the edge of the layout adjacent to the points to operate them but still have the ability to operate if I'm down the other end of the layout with the handset .....

Back to the PowerCab and mini panel - can someone confirm I have the right end of the stick ...

The mini panel allows an external panel of pushbuttons to be made up and connected so that the pushbuttons operate DCC accessory decoders via the exisiting DCC bus? Can you still operate the accessories (points) via the handset too?

Yes.

The minipanel is a strangely shaped throttle. Two (or more) throttles can send instructions to the same accessory address(es).

The mini panel can do rather more than just operate accessory decoders.

• 2 months later...

Archived