What colour was the inside of wooden goods wagons?

So what is the best colour to paint the inside of my wagon kits.

post-6220-067847000 1287680094_thumb.jpg

The one on the left was painted grey and then the inside was given a wash of sand yellow the one on the right is still in the original browny pink plastic colour.

Where such wagons of these painted inside or were they just left as bare wood?

The coal wagon a very dark brown, maybe a little lighter towards the top, sprinkle some very fine coal dust over the bottom before it dries. Tarred slag I would think black, slightly glossy.

• RMweb Premium

So what is the best colour to paint the inside of my wagon kits.

post-6220-067847000 1287680094_thumb.jpg

The one on the left was painted grey and then the inside was given a wash of sand yellow the one on the right is still in the original browny pink plastic colour.

Where such wagons of these painted inside or were they just left as bare wood?

The insides of wagons (both wood and metal) were (and are) never painted. You can see what they would have been like from observations of lorries. The subject is well covered in Martyn Welch's book ''The Art of Weathering''. Perhaps we can start a campaign to persuade modellers not to exhibit their wagons with insides in the same livery as the ouside!

The insides of wagons (both wood and metal) were (and are) never painted.

Whilst wooden coal wagons were not painted with the top coat colour there is evidence that up until at least the first world war some builders white leaded all of the wood (because white lead acted as a preservative) before the wagon was put together. The end result would look much the same as an unpainted interior with the wood being a dirty grey colour.

ASM

I would have thought that woden wagons would be blue.

No, that's woaden wagons, woden wagons deliver ale to Valhalla....

Anyway, as one compadre of mine put it (who actually used to paint steam era wagons), he was paid by piece, therefore anything fiddly or unnecessary, like painting the inside of wagons wouldn't happen.

Dunno how true it is, but I'd count him as pretty reliable.

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly I'm sorry I found this a bit late. At one time I was a regular visitor to Steamtown at Carnforth. They had some wooden bodied POWs painted in the supposed owners' livery (actually fictitious but they had sponsored the painting). IIRC these gradually deteriorated over the years and eventually fell to bits. The thing is, I noticed that the rot in the woodwork seemed to start from the inside where there was no protective coating. Painting of the livery with lettering etc. must have been expensive even in the days of relatively cheap labour, so why the interiors were not even given a coat of creosote or other protection is something of a mystery to me. I am writing about open agregate wagons here, nothing that would be used for higher value goods that could be tainted by the smell of creosote.

Geoff.

The insides of wagons (both wood and metal) were (and are) never painted.

Although that is a true statement for wooden wagons in the later period of BR they painted the inside of some steel wagons - OCA http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p7240523.html being a notable example (the floor remained unpainted wood) and SPA, which had a steel floor and inside doors which were painted http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p35117926.html http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p35117923.html

Paul Bartlett

Archived