Mixed doubles - the most unlikely pairings pre-1968

Guest Phil

On 20/04/2015 at 10:00, andytrains said:

Pair of Claytons on an Orangemans special in Scotland.

The shedmaster who allocated the engines to that train must have been Catholic, as it was likely to fail.

There is also a picture, I cannot remember where of an A4 piloted by a Black Five, I think it was on a fish train, from Aberdeen.

A Black 5 piloting an A4 in Scotland was an enthusiasts special comprised of 17 or 19 coaches ( from memory),  the special was organised to recognise the demise of the A4 class during their Indian Summer of  the accelerated  Aberdeen - Perth passenger service.  either Railway Magazine of Railway World ( or both)  reported   the event as an article soon after.

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/07/2019 at 11:11, Pandora said:

A Black 5 piloting an A4 in Scotland was an enthusiasts special comprised of 17 or 19 coaches ( from memory),  the special was organised to recognise the demise of the A4 class during their Indian Summer of  the accelerated  Aberdeen - Perth passenger service.  either Railway Magazine of Railway World ( or both)  reported   the event as an article soon after.

I referred to this earlier in this stream.It started off as an eight coach special to be diesel hauled then Union of South Africa became available and it mushroomed to eighteen coaches by which time Perths 44997 was added as pilot.It ran on 25 March 1967 which was Easter Saturday,a full 6months after the A4s were withdrawn.

It was steam hauled from Perth to Aberdeen and the two  engines were turned at Ferryhill before running light engine back to Perth to Await the train returning from Aviemore (behind 3 class 26 diesels) They then returned the train to Edinburgh.

I was on board and let the last North Berwick train go so my dad had to come into Edinburgh to pick me up(25miles each way).He wasn't happy!It features on Cinerail Railways of Scotland  DVD no 7

Edited by Steamysandy
Extra info
  • Like 2

Incidentally as a follow up of sorts,in August 1948 several bridges on the East Coast Mainline between Grants house and Berwick were washed out.Temporary Bailey Bridges were erected as a cover.

To test them a D49 shire was sent out piloting 60012Commonwealth of Australia to test the various sections of the repaired line.