Ian Kirk "oo" LNER Gresley Buffet

I'm building one of the Kirk Gresley Buffet's in "00", and it will be painted BR maroon. Can anyone tell me which, if any, of the windows were opaque in the 57-65 maroon period? Also, did the battery boxes fit on both sides of the underframe, and, if not should they be on the bar side or opposite?

Thanks in advance.

I built one from a Kirk Kit in LNER livery and have battery boxes both sides with an extra one to the right of the twin ones on both sides as per the drawing by Nick Campling in Historic carriage drawings vol1. The "Kitchen window and door drop light are opaque according to this drawing.

Did any of the Gresley buffets not get refurbished and have the window at the left end 1/2 filled in by the maroon period? You'd probably have to look back at threads when Hornby released theirs in maroon. My own build is stalled as I haven't worked out how to flush glaze it properly yet. It took a while to fill in that section of window and rebuild the panelling.

Here we go, rebuilt window arrangement http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gresley_buffet_car_at_Glasgow_Central_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1439655.jpg

Archived