US road markings - stop sniggering at the back!

Fen End Pit

My favourite is the one that just says: "WRONG WAY!"

Followed by (and popular in Westfield for some reason): "SPEED HUMP"

I seem to recall from my days of visiting Clark NJ that the good burghers of Westfield were, by and large, rather full of themselves...laugh.gif

I seem to recall from my days of visiting Clark NJ that the good burghers of Westfield were, by and large, rather full of themselves...laugh.gif

Well, I wasn't sure if it was a warning or an instruction...............

Best, Pete.

We are not much better at signage over here.

I'd say on the whole we're far worse, quite often the UK has signs that are inconsistent, incorrect, misleading, hidden behind other objects...and don't start me on direction signs that then dissapear at critical junctions...

The next street over from us was made into a one way street about 5 years ago, it has incorrect one way signs (round blue arrow signs used vertically instead of rectangular) at the entrance, no changes were made to the two-way road markings at the time - about a year later they resurfaced the entire street - and reinstated the two-way road markings. A year after that they redid the road markings again when they added a 20mph zone - again as a two way street. They have managed to get it right since but the number of errors they managed to create in a street that's around 40 yards long is incredible.

Welsh seems to be a particular issue as well:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/8136532.stm

There was another one reported where somebody had emailed the councils translation department for the correct Welsh text for a sign, received a reply and created a sign that said something along the lines of "i'm out of the office at present and will deal with this when I return..."

• RMweb Premium

The route I drove to work on had a short dual carriageway section just over a mile long between two roundabouts. About half way along this road was the boundary between two boroughs. On the first half there was a 40mph limit and on the second half it was 30mph and with a speed camera on both sections only a few yards apartblink.gif. It was decided that a 30mph limit would be imposed on the whole road. One morning signs appeared notifying drivers of the change, only three signs were put up the first was on the roundabout at the commencement of the 40mph road hidden behind the boards with the chevron markings. The other two boards were placed at either end of the existing 30mph section. The inevitable result was that several people including myself were threatened with prosecution for speeding and would have been if the idiots had not omitted to remove the 40mph limit signs one of which was alongside the speed camera! They received several photographs of the camera/sign combination. the signs were quickly removed. Did I and the other drivers get an apology? Did we heck! All I received was a standard letter saying that they were not going to proceed with prosecution. Before you ask I was doing 39mph.

• RMweb Premium

There was a good example in Birmingham some years ago when they made a busy cross roads "No right Turn" to ease traffic flows and provided a diversion via another road a short distance back.

They then blocked off the diversion road with bollards at one end under one of those community traffic calming initiatives!

It was some time before the sign was removed and the right turn re-instated at the junction.

I often wondered how many people took the signed route only to find the road blocked and had to turn back.

Blocking roads in Birmingham without prior warning was quite common at one time. Although I lived and worked there I have been caught out more than once by a blocked road without advance signing which I had used only a couple of weeks before!

Keith

Edit

PS there has been a replacement set of traffic lights installed at a junction a few months ago and one of the new lights was placed right in front of the existing sign denoting a bus lane, which is now totally unreadable. The list of mistakes is endless I could go on all day, yawn...

Archived