The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Cambridge guided bus farce

PhilJ W

A very good friend of mine, Sarah Brown (not Gordon's missus; the other one) was elected as a councillor in Cambridge at the last election. I asked her what the deal was about the guided busway. Those resoponsible for it seem to have largely either lost their seats or walked away from it all. It's true to say that huge cost overruns weren't envisaged. I suspect that there was an element of "trust us, it'll work" and naivete by those responsible, who were more likely interested in the chas that could be raised in government grants.

Unfortunately, it seems the busway is here to stay, because the scheme has gone too advanced and soaked in too much money to be ripped up. When it opens is another matter entirely. I gather that local bus operators weren't exactly enthused by the scheme, as it fails to address congestion closer in to Cambridge's already busy centre. The operators who have purchased vehicles to use on the busway are also underwhelemed because they've invested in kit that has still to bring them any benefit.

• RMweb Gold

. Those resoponsible for it seem to have largely either lost their seats or walked away from it all.

If that is the case perhaps they should all be named and shamed, and brought to account by the local taxpayers. A little public ridicule over a such waste of money might make other 'politicals' think twice before instigating 'pet schemes'

• RMweb Premium

If that is the case perhaps they should all be named and shamed, and brought to account by the local taxpayers. A little public ridicule over a such waste of money might make other 'politicals' think twice before instigating 'pet schemes'

Think! Think twice!! have I met thinking politicians yet? and shame do they feel shame? etc etc

• RMweb Gold

If I am correct, there was central Government funding for a busway but not for heavy rail.

Now it's here Stagecoach and Whippet have invested in new buses with guided wheelsets where the drivers are instructed to let go of the wheel so as not to interfere, but as St Ives council has been informed, the jockey wheel is an unknown quantity. Essentially although guided buses are not new, the distance and speed is, and there may be a problem with wheel failure due to heat stresses on the wheel. I guess that will be a wait and see!

But whatever your thoughts are about the busway there are 2 issues.

First, It avoids all the villages that the previous services served as it is aimed at the "park & Ride" so if you live in a village close to Cambridge and now have to drive part way to catch a bus, whats to stop you driving further?

Second, what happens when the bus gets to the end of the busway at the Science Park? it joins all the other traffic trying to get into Cambridge.

No matter what people think of it, it's going to cost a lot more than they are predicting and depending on which Councillor you talk to it will either be a success or failure.

To me it shows yet again that Council Officers/Civil servants are just not up to the job of drafting a contract that is precise enough in its detail, my money is on Bam Nuttal coming out smelling better than the Council or financially better off.

• RMweb Premium

If I am correct, there was central Government funding for a busway but not for heavy rail.

Got it in one. The DfT mandarins at the time and the secratery of state were of the firm belief that even tram schemes were far to expensihive and that you coould get the same modal shift at half the cost by using guided busways. Thus they were falling over themselves to offer central government money at the scheme but refused to entertain the notion that the money would be better off invested in a rail / tram solution

Of course time has moved on as have those in the department responsable for this state of afairs and as others have noted its far too expensive to start again. The only good thing about it I guess is that it may well have dispelled a myth and be the only one of its kind

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately not. Still under construction in Luton-Dunstable, despite being unproven in long-distance operation.

I'm not so sure that this will get to the end, I think it is also relying on Central government funding and with Cambridge as an example it may die a slow quiet death, there are works to remove bridges being carried out but that may also deal with long term maintenance issues being avoided on them.

• RMweb Premium

In terms of failures on the line this would be no different to other fixed-route operations. The Adelaide O-Bahn, currently the longest such busway in the World until Cambridge opens, along with the former Runcorn busway and numerous others such as the Birmingham Trac-Line scheme use (or used) recovery vehicles which can push or tow a disabled bus out of the way. It takes a little time but is no different in that respect to a failure blocking a railway or tramway. In the meantime some service can be provided on conventional roads which is a bonus not available to rail or tram operators without hiring in additional resources.

Just to point out that the Runcorn busway is a simple set up with an ordinary two lane road for which busses have exclusive use. if a bus breaks down the following bus can simply overtake that inoperable bus.

google busway map

steve

Archived