Class 27's at Gloucester in 1968

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

They did show occasionally - hijacked by Saltley I suspect

Fomnd memories of D5400 heading south through Worcester towards Gloucester one lunch time in 67 or 68 - probably a Washwood Heath or Bescot - Gloucester freight, will look it up as I have the WTT for that era. Had military traffic for Ashchurch in formation. D200 also turned up on same train another day so sounds like a regular Bham loco priate turn!

Now only seen on Abbotswood Junction!

Phil

Thanks for posting that, Mike - if they got as far as Gloucester, I wonder if they might occasionally have gotten as far as Bristol?.... ;)

You're giving me ideas, you are! :D

Sorry Captain ,

Although I have no definate confirmation , I suspect that the "GEC's" would have been removed at Gloucester and not allowed past the "Copper Curtain" ; I know that Saltley men did sign Bristol but I've never heard any of the old hands mention about going there with a 27 - there will also have been the issue of the drivers down on the WR not signing the traction. That said , I'm sure there's a pic of a 27 piloting Lion over the S&D somewhere ;-)

I'm sure there's a pic of a 27 piloting Lion over the S&D somewhere ;-)

Its assume you mean the BRCW LIon and not the kettle thingy that was used as the titfleid thunderbolt.

In which case It may be a 33 piloting Lion but as all came out of the works a Smethwick it's not an impossibility

In one one books on the 27's there is a shot of a 27 coming off thebottom Lickey bank with a local service from Brum.

Around this period many of the diesels on the LMR in the Midlands were allocated to the "Midland Lines" pool, so as long as the driver had route and traction knowledge, it wouldn't matter whether it was a BR Type 2 (Class 25) or a BRCW one (class 27).

Yes indeed. As Supa says, the BRCW / GECs did much work in the West Midlands, prior to their relocation northwards. I'm no expert on that Midland shed on the other side of town (Saltley) but I believe the 21A drivers who signed Carlisle via Settle, also signed these diesels and the Crosti 9Fs. for that reason Crostis and the GECs could both be seen working trains to Morris Cowley and Hinksey, as well as Gloucester.

I have a record of a pair of these working empties from Spring Vale (on the Wolverhampton-Birmingham Stour valley line) to Burton upon Trent. A Bescot secondman mated a Burton driver on this job.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Captain ,

Although I have no definate confirmation , I suspect that the "GEC's" would have been removed at Gloucester and not allowed past the "Copper Curtain" ; I know that Saltley men did sign Bristol but I've never heard any of the old hands mention about going there with a 27 - there will also have been the issue of the drivers down on the WR not signing the traction. That said , I'm sure there's a pic of a 27 piloting Lion over the S&D somewhere ;-)

Well, let's move the goalposts slightly and say that they wouldn't have had to have gone all the way to Bristol, just as far as Westerleigh Yard on a favour to the Gloucester shedmaster (in my day at Preston, Saltley men were known as 'Martini Men' - any time, any place, any where...). Once at Westerleigh Yard, a further small favour would have seen them nip up to Callow Lane on a transfer trip, with a local pilot driver, due to the booked Hymek having been purloined for something else.... ;) :D

• RMweb Premium

paulbb, on 05 December 2010 - 13:24 , said:

Note that in the first image of D5377/90 there is also a glimpse of what looks like 2 stored West Country/BB pacifics.

Presumably on their way to Barry Docks (Woodhams?)?

very well spotted

Mike

I think those Bulleids weren't on their way to Barry - by May '68 (date of photo) the last few Southern steam locos were being hauled from storage at Weymouth and Salisbury to scrapyards such as Cashmores and Buttigiegs, from which there was no chance of escape.

It occurred to me that I could have seen those two in steam back in '67..... :( - I wonder which ones they were.

Class 27 at Bidston (Wirral) anybody?

http://stuarts-phots.fotopic.net/p50320375.html

Photo is copyright of Edgar Richards and is hosted with permission.

There could be more records of them in this area.

Bidston Dock handled spot traffic of imported ore for Corby at various times, I believe from the mid-sixties through to closure in 1980. I've no idea what the routeing or regular motive power was, but 2 x 25s were at the front of some of the last Bidston trains to arrive at Corby, which ran in the Winter of 1979-80 immediately prior to the steel strike which suspended production for three months from Dec 1979. 27s could have been used prior to their transfer from the area.

As an aside, the wagons used on these were the std ore hoppers (24 1/2t?) , never that common into Corby as unloading was primarily geared up to tipplers from the local quarries.

• RMweb Gold

Once at Westerleigh Yard, a further small favour would have seen them nip up to Callow Lane on a transfer trip, with a local pilot driver, due to the booked Hymek having been purloined for something else.... ;) :D

Well, the deal's been done - an over-enthusiastic order of these locos by The Model Shop in Exeter resulted in him selling his stock off at a reasonable price, so that was my consolation prize for him not having any 7Fs in stock yet.... ;) :D

• RMweb Gold

Bidston Dock handled spot traffic of imported ore for Corby at various times, I believe from the mid-sixties through to closure in 1980. I've no idea what the routeing or regular motive power was, but 2 x 25s were at the front of some of the last Bidston trains to arrive at Corby, which ran in the Winter of 1979-80 immediately prior to the steel strike which suspended production for three months from Dec 1979. 27s could have been used prior to their transfer from the area.

Don't think so, never heard of any other than Edgar's shot.

The extra Corbys (and the Etrurias) ran out through Rock Ferry and off towards Hooton, Crewe and beyond, I spent a couple of happy Sundays at Port Sunlight with a certain flyingsignalman when the box was opened to increase the capacity of the line (not really needed) when these were running, I have some photos of these workings somewhere, but not brilliant - and none were hauled by 27s :(

I have a lot (and I mean a lot!) of STNs, covering the North West and North Wales coast areas, from the time (from about 1976 through to early 1980s) if anyone* wants to search and document them all :lol:

* (with certain exceptions of course)

Don't think so, never heard of any other than Edgar's shot.

The extra Corbys (and the Etrurias) ran out through Rock Ferry and off towards Hooton, Crewe and beyond, I spent a couple of happy Sundays at Port Sunlight with a certain flyingsignalman when the box was opened to increase the capacity of the line (not really needed) when these were running, I have some photos of these workings somewhere, but not brilliant - and none were hauled by 27s :(

I have a lot (and I mean a lot!) of STNs, covering the North West and North Wales coast areas, from the time (from about 1976 through to early 1980s) if anyone* wants to search and document them all :lol:

* (with certain exceptions of course)

If 27s ever did appear, it would have been pre-1971 when they migrated north from the ex-Midland lines and on workings which were out and back, I guess from Toton, with the same locos. 27s were regular performers on the local trips from Leicester and Toton-Lloyds workings up until then.

A curiosity about these trains was that they often worked into Corby Sidings rather than Lloyds, which was the usual reception route into the works, but I've no idea why. As far as I know, they were the only ore flows which were handled in this way and presumably the fact that they were hoppers was behind this. I never saw them leave the yard inbound but I presume they were hauled by one of the BSC minerals class 14s which were used for ore traffic which was landed into Lloyds.

• RMweb Gold

Although I have no definate confirmation , I suspect that the "GEC's" would have been removed at Gloucester and not allowed past the "Copper Curtain" ; I know that Saltley men did sign Bristol but I've never heard any of the old hands mention about going there with a 27 - there will also have been the issue of the drivers down on the WR not signing the traction.

Vindication!

A colleague at work has informed me that he saw D5396 at Bristol TM in December 1968 on a Christmas parcels train! :D

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good evening Captain

Heres one on the way south at Worcester on the MIAC site - D5382 in two tone green !

http://www.miac.org.uk/class27.htm#brd5382

Now thats rather nice - must be another loco for Abbotswood

Note for wish list to manufacturers - please make it easier for modellers to change headcodes on models.

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Good evening Captain

Heres one on the way south at Worcester on the MIAC site - D5382 in two tone green !

http://www.miac.org.uk/class27.htm#brd5382

Now thats rather nice - must be another loco for Abbotswood

Note for wish list to manufacturers - please make it easier for modellers to change headcodes on models.

Kind regards

Phil

Thanks Phil - just noticed the thread pop up - a very useful image when it comes to weathering...

• RMweb Gold

You are welcome Cap'n

The Heljan one not common now but will have to pick one up on the strength of this - an as you say a bit of nice wathering to finish it off...

Never ceases to amaze me how much new material from this era continues to emerge

I see you lads have been busy on the OWW truning it back in to a proper railway. No trouble with the natives around Mickleton this time I hope? How about reinstatement back up to Pleck Junction Walsall and running freights that way to avoid Brum?

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

The Heljan one not common now but will have to pick one up on the strength of this - an as you say a bit of nice wathering to finish it off...

I picked mine up from Dave Harding in the Exeter Model shop - he had over-ordered and sold it for a fair price - may be worth trying in case he has any left?