Model Rail 150

Pete Harvey

Ouch - you've really caught me out, as I'm now at home for the weekend with nothing to refer to. Mag went to press a week ago while I was busy with our GWR175 special 'Western Celebration' which went to press the day after Model Rail.

Here's what I can remember:

The cover has a Hornby 'Castle' with reporting number 150 on the front, tweaked by George and photographed by a certain rmwebber who shall remain anonymous (but for all of ten seconds, no doubt).

There's the same chap's snaps of Pendon Vale Scene (some REAL stunners) and the Madder Valley, for which I writ the captions etc. It will give some folk 'a fit of the vapours' because, though the layout is constant 4mm scale, the trains are a mixture of narrow gauge, broad gauge and standard. Yet somehow it works and I don't find it offensive at all. Mind you, the John Ahern quote that I found, might raise the hackles of a few EM and P4 modellers! Sorry chaps!

George has done his usual great job with a Bachmann 150 carve up to mark an Ultrasonic test train, and now I'm struggling to remember what else was in there.

oh, and there's a piece by some old buffer about how he once got to draft out a new model magazine, 150 issues ago. It'll never catch on!

CHRIS LEIGH

ps if I remember anything else, I'll edit this diatribe.

• RMweb Gold

No, its the poor unfortunate V2 that was vandalised with a copper capped chinmey! I'm looking forward to the Madder Valley article, it looks like my kind of model railway, a mad mix of locos & rolling stock that should never be seen together!

Chris - I'm sure Ben won't mind you putting up a shot of the Castle. If I was in the office I could post up a cover and a contents list but I don't have access to anything here at home.

CHRIS L

True, but then that's like opening Xmas pressies a week early - this is more fun feeding the anticipation ;)

post-6681-055141800 1288453738_thumb.jpg

Here goes the contents list:

Shooting the Cover

For such a special issue of Model Rail, we needed a special cover. Here’s how we did it...

Big Picture

An unusual conversion project was unveiled at Model Rail Live.

One Big Weekend

If you didn’t make it to Model Rail Live at Barrow Hill, here’s what you missed.

NEW PRODUCTS

New FNA wagons from Bachmann, big diesels from Heljan and a first look at all-new 4mm Mk 2 coaches.

Reviews

Hornby’s ‘L1’ and Railroad Class 40 and Bachmann’s ‘A2’ and ‘Autoballaster’ come under scrutiny from our experts.

FEATURES

Free car for every reader!

Turn to page 31 to find out how to claim your free 1:76 scale car.

Madder Valley Railway

Chris Leigh delves into the history of John Ahern, one of the key links between the pre-war trainset and the modelling hobby of today.

Pretty in Pinxton

Alex Fisher tells the story of the signalbox that inspired our latest limited edition.

Christmas Gift Ideas

Leave these pages open at home, it will give your loved ones some great ideas for December 25!

Network News

Network Rail’s Class 950 DMU can be justified on any modern-era layout. George Dent shows you how to build it.

Warley 2010 Preview

Here’s your essential guide to the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition.

Only here for the beer

Railways and brewing were inextricably linked. Ben Jones looks at the movement

of beer and the possibilities it offers modellers.

Building Eastwood Town

Want to build your dream layout? Gordon Stolliday offers hints and tips to get your project under way.

Build an exhibition layout

How to do you design a layout destined for a life on the road? Ben Ando explains all.

Making Mendip Colliery

Chris Nevard describes how he detailed and improved some resin buildings for his latest layout project – a Somerset colliery.

Supertest: Trees

Every layout needs them, and tree aficionado Peter Marriott gets to grips with what’s available.

Pendon Perfection

Chris Nevard was granted exclusive access to the ‘Vale Scene’. Prepare to be inspired!

1960: Britannia rules?

Robert Forsythe looks back to the eve of the ‘Swinging Sixties’ when BR’s ‘Britannia’ was threatened by an electric from Austria.

Masterplan: Borchester

‘Borchester Market’ contains everything we might want from a layout. Here’s how you can build your own version of this classic.

REGULARS

Model Rail DVD offer

Model Rail Shop

Buy exclusive models online or by telephone from our all-new shop.

Britain’s Model Trains

Our unique and comprehensive guide to RTR models is out again on November 11. It’s fully refreshed and updated for 2011!

Q&A

Your modelling questions answered by fellow readers, experienced and expert modellers.

Show & Tell

Exhibition Diary

Backscene

and in MR151:

Three great layouts, top kit-building advice and the ultimate guide to ‘N’ gauge modelling - coming next time.

post-1062-069767700 1288606725_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

And moments ago my subscriber copy duly flopped through my letterbox onto the mat. Kettle on and about to settle down for a read. :music_mini2:

Noted that the application form for the free Taxi if you cut it out, you lose a fair old chunk of the main picture of the Madder Valley Railway article on the next page. Will a photocopy suffice?

• RMweb Gold

It came through my letterbox a few minutes ago and my first impression is 'wow' - the centre spread is great but the pic on the following page is even better I think, and then throw in the Madder Valley pics and it looks like Mr N spent a very useful day at Pendon for the delectation of us all, thanks chapscool.gifbiggrin.gif And Borchester, and Mr N (again!!) on colliery buildings - tremendous stuff making a truly excellent issue. Fascinating comparison too that while our British 'MR' scales new heights its US companion acronym seems to have dropped into the doldrums.

Bit confusing tho' that 'Backscene' starts at the front .... tehehe

Mr Stationmaster you're such a nice chap! The Pendon shots seen in the features are only a small fraction of what was taken. The moonlight shots of the village scenes were taken with all the lights turned off and a couple of my lights used instead at very dim settings so the building interior lights recorded. I recall the exposures were in the region of 30 seconds or so. If you look very carefully, Chris Leigh can be seen in one of the Pendon shots (not an accident either).

So no balancing on one leg while supporting the camera and suspending a dark cloth then Chris? :D

Pete

Not quite, but everyone did have to keep very still on the mezzanine floor and not breath while the shutter was open. It's dead spooky with all the house lights off and just a dim moonlit effect.

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived yesterday and it's certainly a bumper issue. Not only liberal use of Mr N's super snaps, but lots of other good stuff too. Thanks to GD's article on the NR 150 I think a cerain Mr H should see a few sales...

• RMweb Premium

Great edition, shame the pr*t who posted it through my letter box folded it around a small package which caused a rip in the back cover even with the plastic bag. It was not our regular postman wo is very careful and when I asked him why he had not put things through the letter box one at a time he told me that it was not his problem, he had delivered the mail as he is paid to do! I shall be interested in what his manager has to say!

Chris

Pendon's very own Emperor of the North but only for a moment! A certain Mr. Jones wants an up to date picture of me for the contents page but so far no one has been able to get a shot that looks young enough. (Cue Mr. N and Photoshop........)

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived