Model Rail 150

Pete Harvey

• RMweb Gold

Pendon's very own Emperor of the North but only for a moment! A certain Mr. Jones wants an up to date picture of me for the contents page but so far no one has been able to get a shot that looks young enough. (Cue Mr. N and Photoshop........)

CHRIS LEIGH

You could always use the one inside the back fold of the dust cover on 'GWR Country Stations'wink.gifbiggrin.gif

You could always use the one inside the back fold of the dust cover on 'GWR Country Stations (quote)

Yes, I like that photo. So did the late Mrs. Leigh, who took it (at Bradford-upon-Avon station if I recall correctly) for my passport. We went to Canada in 1976, so I'd have been 19 in that photo!!! (44 years ago, before you ask, but only about 3 years before GWR Country Stations was published.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

You could always use the one inside the back fold of the dust cover on 'GWR Country Stations (quote)

Yes, I like that photo. So did the late Mrs. Leigh, who took it (at Bradford-upon-Avon station if I recall correctly) for my passport. We went to Canada in 1976, so I'd have been 19 in that photo!!! (44 years ago, before you ask, but only about 3 years before GWR Country Stations was published.

CHRIS LEIGH

Well there is nothing like a nice recent photo and that is nothing like .........

Chris

Great feature on Eastwood Town by our very own "Early Riser" big "Gordon S."

All in all a Brilliant Issue,but still hate the quality (or lack of)of the paper.

Great articles,Great Photographs, Interesting Editorials with no reference to "Posh - Owls" or other rubbish and First Class Reviews most months. BUT STILL **** PAPER, and I do understand all of the commercial aspects and arguments,but as well as circulation, Binder Sales must have suffered as a Result I suspect. Also at todays prices for all Magazines what would the real cost per issue be and would that really influence Sales!!

I realise that another of the top 4 Model Railway magazines in circulation numbers has reduced the quality of its paper as well,so not just a gripe at MR.

Regards,Del.

picked it up earlier, have only skimmed it, looks good, nothing outstanding for me this time though so far. layout coverage not as good as usual, though the step by step N guage layout looks like good reading. no issues with the binding at all either

again the cover proudly proclaims 180 pages, I counted 81 of these purely as ads and thats being generous and not counting the half page or two nor the photo of the 37 which is basically an ad too.

I don't mind the ads being there and see the need for them to control prices but I really wish you'd stop trying to fool people into thinking there's 180 pages of content instead of about 100 and 80 pages of crap, eh, quality advertisements.

Euro must be doing well this months, its the cheapest I've ever gotten it at 5 on the dot.

will the murphy's mk2d and 201 be getting a full write up in time? I know being Irish they're not exactly mainstream but I've heard masses of opinion on the mk2's and the plus and minus points, it'd be interesting to see what the 'experts' think :P

As for the 201 I really think it sets a standard, saw it at the Dublin show two weeks ago, the detail is massively impressive and some clever bits like the decoder hatch too. may have to rob a bank or two to afford them though

And finally I think it would be good to see a page or two more dedicated to Q&A and show & tell, both great sections always full of info and inspiration

• RMweb Gold

Chris will probably excommunicate me for posting this.....

Being serious for a moment, it does show just how vast Pendon is....

post-6681-038888900 1288725164_thumb.jpg

Was he humming the Dambusters as he posed or had he dropped your high class photo backdrop? ;)

Should have carried on with the tease pics Chris it would have made one of those sliding puzzles. If there are more photos from the shoot are you tempted to run a few more in another issue? Those panoramic shots are the advantage of a fixed layout over ones that have to squeeze in vans for shows.

Like the tree guide too. Still think you ought to get those together in the annual stock review guide even if condensed to best buys ;)

I don't mind the ads being there and see the need for them to control prices but I really wish you'd stop trying to fool people into thinking there's 180 pages of content instead of about 100 and 80 pages of crap, eh, quality advertisements.

An 'issue' is an 'issue'. Its a '180 page issue' and that's that. To us, our advertisers are valued customers. Their advertisements are essential to the existence of the magazine and they are of interest and value to the majority of readers. I'll refrain from further comment about this post.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

I don't mind the ads being there and see the need for them to control prices but I really wish you'd stop trying to fool people into thinking there's 180 pages of content instead of about 100 and 80 pages of crap, eh, quality advertisements. (quote)

An 'issue' is an 'issue'. Its a '180 page issue' and that's that. To us, our advertisers are valued customers. Their advertisements are essential to the existence of the magazine and they are of interest and value to the majority of readers. I'll refrain from further comment about this post.

CHRIS LEIGH

Firstly,I congratulate you on your self restraint Chris. Second, really good issue, thanks very much. I'm just getting over a dose of food poisoning, and reading the mag has been the perfect distraction for many hours. Personally, I find 100 pages of content very reasonable for £3.40.

Gilbert.

Yes, even though there was nothing that leapt out as being highly relevant to my own interests I bought it anyway and have found something useful in every article. The two layouts-in-progress were an interesting development - can we expect some updates in future?

I would like to congratulate the Model Rail team on issue 150 - a truly impressive edition. It is current, comprehensive and well thought out in its coverage. The Pendon Vale Scene pictures are some of the best I've seen of a very difficult layout to do true justice to due to its size and scope. I was delighted to see John Ahern's Madder Valley was covered too as this has been inspiration to many modellers. I remember the first time I saw it being operated at Pendon, dated and dusty? - yes, worth seeing? - definitely! There are some tremendous advances being made in our diverse hobby, but it is occasionally good to look back at what's gone before. That is another area that Model Rail continues to achieve with style. Well done!

Regarding the track plan on page 100 (Masterplan:Borchester Market)

Is the station throat missing a way of accessing the "out" mainline from the lower main platform

Possibly a single slip under the signal gantry,

or a trailing crossing on the mainline somewhere near the turntable

After the through station is the arrangement of the double track in the tunnel correct?

To claim your free car you don't even need to use the form. It does say in the blue band across the advert, just send your name address and payment for the postage.

A photocopy of the form is acceptable if you prefer.

CHRIS LEIGH

I assume that the only option for the free car is the Austin Taxi? I would have much preferred an FX4 or something more modern, ah well a quality magazine none-the-less!

Archived