Tawbridge - a new 00 DCC layout

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

I've made a start putting together the Peco turntable kit, along with painting / weathering. Planning to take some photos in the day or so.

Just a couple of comments so far to make though -

a) the hand rails and the moulded 'bars' look to be far too thick, plus there is a flat on one side and although I appreciate that there are limits on the moulding process, they do look a little coarse. This leaves two options - try and thin the 'bars' down and adding a radius or replace with brass angle / bullhead rail and wire (will of course mean drilling several holes for the wire).

B) there does not appear to be any representation of how the turntable was rotated - e.g. by hand winding or pushing. Does anyone have any thoughts / comments ?

The well itself needs a little bit of work and will look great when painted / weathered. We did think about adding brick plasticard around the sides of the well, but does not appear to be sufficient clearance between the walls and the deck.

Having raised a few comments - overall the turntable looks pretty good and benefits from painting and weathering.

Then we need to look at fitting the motor / gears and controls.

• RMweb Gold

I have attached a photo showing the progress so far on the turntable where the top of the deck has been painted. Still plenty to do though.

Following a discussion at the club tonight, I will add brick edging around the inside of the well using plasticard (Slaters) and will then glue fine ballast or similar to the bottom of the well. This will all be weathered.

We have also continued testing various train movements, both to test for faults (shorts etc but seem to have solved all of these) and positions for magnets for the Spratt and Winkle couplings.

post-7854-0-07244400-1301432225_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-99519600-1301432236_thumb.jpg

Hi Everyone

UPDATE

I have cut the hole for the Peco turntable well and fitted it into place, We are waiting for Richard to finish building the table so we can finish with the track work to the turntable.

I am going to put the magnets in place on friday night for the sprate and winkle couplings.

We have done a lot of testing on the track know so I think we are near to painting and putting ballest down, so things are move on know. I think Richard will do same photo's next Tuesday to put on the RMWEB.

• RMweb Gold

Making slow progress on the turntable and the photo below shows the deck in place with Ray's loco. We need to add the brick work around the inside of the well, which I had planned to do tonight, but the paint was taking an age to dry, so couldn't finish.

The tracks up to the turntable will be added in the next week or so.

post-7854-0-28881400-1302642323_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Nice spam! Period a bit early for me but right up Graham / Muz's street. I'm assuming it's not a Hornby job (hard to tell on a phone screen!)

I'd go for brass handrails on the TT. Much finer a stronger.

Nice spam! Period a bit early for me but right up Graham / Muz's street. I'm assuming it's not a Hornby job (hard to tell on a phone screen!)

Hi 2Many Spams

The Spam is a airfix kit on a Kemaway chassis witch I got and built back in late 70's and did not make the body till now. I choped the ugly ladders of the tender and put brass one's on, and brass steps and took of the number plate that was moulded on the smoke box door and the dart and handle and replaced with brass one's, the moulded hand rails on tender and loco I cut off and replaced with wire.

post-3746-0-80842700-1302974029_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-85818700-1302974105_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Yes, I had thought about replacing with wire. Looking at the 'handrails' with the Peco kit they are about 1mm across (3" dia) and not circular, so want to change these. I also want to add a little more detail to the TT where necessary, so will need to do some reasearch.

Mudmagnet

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well now all the wiring is completed and tested, we can make a start on painting the track and then ballasting.

One of the other jobs to do in the future is the point rodding and quite by chance looking through some old Model Railway Constructors (remember those?) that were donated to the club, I found an article over two issues detailing poit rodding, so these will prove very useful!

Coming back to the turntable, this will be motorised, but in the interim will be controlled by an analogue controller, with the option later to make digital, but that this for the future. The brick work now needs to be finished and weathered and then an ash coating added to the bottom of the well, followed by suitable weathering.

Note, the 08 was a visitor from Orchard Road (fitted with a TCS M1 decoder and runs very slowly). The West Country has been fitted with sound and several club members have enjoyed 'playing' with this one!

Thanks to Binesrail for taking the black and white photo and Mudders comment, 34010 Sidmouth the rebuilt West Country loco now has a sound chip supplied from Olivia's trains (Many thanks to them for a great service) To get the chip in the loco was a pain but worthwhile. The chip was too big to sit in the loco, therefore it all had to go in to the tender. Inside the loco the standard chip was removed. The motor was de-soldered and the two wires individually insulated. Two new lengths of wires were soldered onto the motor and connected to a socket glued into the cab floor. In the tender the chip was sticky taped to the body with the speaker. The multi plug was chopped off. With two wires were soldered on to a plug and poked out to the foot plate (for connection onto the cab socket) Another two was soldered to the tender frame with the existing wires while the remaining wires were taped up.

The loco has generated much interest with in the club, It has been tested on the large roundy layout "Yeo Valley" with the sound on!

The real loco "Sidmouth" has survived into preservation and is awaiting major renovation near Swanage Railway with Southern Locomotives Limited. A link to SLL site for Sidmouth is http://www.southern-locomotives.co.uk/34010/34010_BR_Service.html and also Nick's site http://sites.google.com/site/34010sidmouth/ has more information.

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Another update. Ray has been busy again - fitting the backscenes to the layout and has just painted them blue, which will will be temporary until we get photo backscenes such as those from International Models / Gaugemaster.

We wanted to have backscenes as we prefer to frame the layout and not see the operators behind the layout. The step in front of the turntable runs in front of the fiddle yard.

We will be using cassettes and have had the wood (9mm ply) and aluminium angle (25x25x3) all cut. The holes are being drilled into the alu angle by Brian (useful having someone in the club with a pillar drill and small work shop).

post-7854-0-10619200-1305488566_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-04089400-1305488572_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi

About time for an update!

We have not been idle, but have working a few things out and not rushing anything.

The turntable well now is brick lined (Slaters plasticard) and has involved carefully removing some of the plastic off each end of the turntable so that turns freely.

The bottom of the well has been coated with a very fine powder and painting has started. A few more oil spills to be added and then a few pieces of junk.

Then the guard rails need to be finished and fitted.

A start has been made on the roadways and bridges, as can be seen - still plenty to do here!

We must also paint the track and commence ballasting!

post-7854-0-42410600-1307480390_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-90412700-1307480402_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-88699100-1307480416_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-20536100-1307480428_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi

A little bit of progress to report.

The fiddle yard cassettes are now finished, but required a little bit of a dress with the file to give leading edges to ease the wheels between the track and cassette.

A 'dead' track section has been wired into the final section before going into the fiddle yard, which is wired through brass wipers in the fiddle - so that becomes 'live' when a cassette is in place. This prevents a loco being driven into the fiddle yard without a cassette being fitted.

Thanks to DLT as this method has been copied directly from the method he uses on Bridport Town.

The hand-rails have been added to the turntable. I rounded off the moulded hand rails, which due to the moulding process are flat on one side - i.e. half-round, so using a concave shaper, the sharp corners are removed.

The photo shows Binesrail's loco as weathered by Darren01.

post-7854-0-96642300-1308690502_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

oh, cool :) should be a great layout!!

Thanks. Still plenty to do though and progress is slow, but we are not rushing anything and thinking carefully and discussing before charging in to do something!

Will be at our show in Barnstaple July 30th.

HI

That one sexy Ivatt tank you got their :) , layout is coming on wel! ,when Bachmann bring out the sound Ivatt i may bring it down to the club one day.

Keep up the good work and keep the photo coming.

All the best

Darren

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update...

The copper clad track work was filled in over the last few sessions. This was to smooth out the cut marks made to isolate the track. The track was tested during the work as to not incur a short.

The next work will be painting / ballasting the track.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi

Another update. Progress is being made, but slowly. The track has now been sprayed - next job to start on the ballasting!

The photos were taken by Chris on Friday.

Come and say hello at the Barnstaple show on 30th July - Tawbridge will be making it's first public showing!

post-7854-0-39693400-1311444845_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-18115800-1311444857_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-45638100-1311444867_thumb.jpg

Archived