Tawbridge - a new 00 DCC layout

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

The Barnstaple MRC have commenced construction of a new exhibition layout, with an overall size 16’ x 2’, constructed from 4 off boards (softwood frame 3†deep with 9mm thick plywood top), incorporating folding legs and brass alignment dowels. The leg braces also fold up into the boards. All this designed to reduce the amount of parts being carried from transport to exhibition venue. The track will be ‘00’ finescale constructed from code 75 rail and copper clad sleepers. This is a change from previous layouts which have used Peco code 100 track previously. Two boards will then be packed face to face, with end packing boards, one of which will have casters so that the pair of boards can be up-ended and rolled along the ground to minimize carrying the boards. Also, front fold-down boards will be added to protect the open front during transportation, but will be used as display boards at exhibitions. Transportation to exhibitions can then be in two cars or a small van to minimize the costs. A lighting frame and facia board will also be constructed, but we have designed this yet, but will need to be light-weight and possibly fit inside the boards, again to reduce amount of parts to carry.

The layout will also be DCC, with points operated by DCC accessory decoders and these will be operated from a control panel with switches working through an encoder. Both the encoder and decoders will be constructed from MERG kits. We have not decided on which controllers to use at the moment and still discussing the merits of using either Bachmann Dynamis with a Pro-box to enable use of two or three handsets (a couple of club members use Dynamis) or may use NCE Power Cab units (one member recently starting using one of these and another member will be purchasing one), with the club purchasing one, along with multiple sockets along the layout so more than one handset can be used. Initially, locomotives and rolling stock will be members own (currently a mix of Southern steam, BR steam and Blue BR diesels) with the aim of running appropriate stock together, but being able to run different periods during an exhibition. A broad idea being to start in the morning with SR, changing to BR steam, adding a few green diesels and then finishing the day with BR blue diesels, spreading the change gradually throughout the day.

The track plan, as below, incorporates a small terminus station, goods yard and locomotive depot. The layout will be based in the Southern Region (buildings, signals etc), but will operate members’ own stock, although at exhibitions it is envisaged that locomotives will be matched with appropriate stock and that stock on layout at any given time is broadly from the same time period.

The track base (dense foam) has been glue using Copydex, track plan has been marked onto the foam and a start has been made on the point work.

We will add update photos and descriptions of construction techniques as we progress with construction, but welcome any comments / questions.

post-7854-090930400 1288521663_thumb.jpg

Few track plans/layouts are new; those that work best have been tried and tested, and I guess that this project will work well. I hope that it gets exhibited within my reach. This forum has its full share of outstanding layouts, and attention to detail is the common factor. Also, if I have ever learned anything, it is that the most popular layouts (with owners, operators and viewers) are those that include the scope simply to play trains.

If I might just add that (excluding the transfer of certain BR(S) assets to BR(W)), BR(S) station liveries perpetuated pre-nationalisation liveries. So the proposed design brief sounds to be flexible.

PB

Just some photographs of the progress on the layout.

In the first photo you can see the bace boreds being constructed, and in the second photo we have the fome underlay stuck down with the track layout layed out ontop of it.

Chris

post-2641-018032700 1288530349_thumb.jpg

post-2641-075572400 1288530414_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Few track plans/layouts are new; those that work best have been tried and tested, and I guess that this project will work well. I hope that it gets exhibited within my reach. This forum has its full share of outstanding layouts, and attention to detail is the common factor. Also, if I have ever learned anything, it is that the most popular layouts (with owners, operators and viewers) are those that include the scope simply to play trains.

If I might just add that (excluding the transfer of certain BR(S) assets to BR(W)), BR(S) station liveries perpetuated pre-nationalisation liveries. So the proposed design brief sounds to be flexible.

PB

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your comments. The track plan was copied from a plan from a few years ago, but not sure from where. Ray came up with the track plan. The thought of the engine shed c/w turntable should add operational interest. The yard shunting should be interesting as well. The main platform road, plus bay road do not have engine release run-around, so that we will be using a second loco, coming off shed, to bring the coaches etc back out. Then the trapped loco can follow out and into the shed. The thought being that with two operators and using DCC, this can be acheived quite easily.

One of the aims is built an exhibition layout that is both fun to operate and interesting at exhibitions - it is important at an exhibtion that something is moving all of the time.

Although the station and its furniture will be Southern, the remenants of the SR colours could still be seen in Devon and Cornwall until the 70's / 80's. Certainly the old semaphore signals did not get replaced until the 80's.

• RMweb Gold

Just some photographs of the progress on the layout.

In the first photo you can see the bace boreds being constructed, and in the second photo we have the fome underlay stuck down with the track layout layed out ontop of it.

Chris

Although the base boards can be seen in these photos, we will add more detailed photos, from underneath later to show how they are constructed.

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Just a couple of small updates showing the start to the construction of the station building and signal box.

Signal Box

This is modelled on the one that used to be at Swanage and built following the plans drawn by R.G. Brasher from the Railway Modeller August 1975. This is constructed in plasticard, with the stone work being carved from tile grout (as used on Orchard Road bridge). This is applied gradually (three goes between sections drying) and then sanded flat. Dampen a small area to carve to soften the grout sufficiently, otherwise it is too hard. This has been painted with acrylics. The steps and porch, along with the doors are next, plus the interior walls. The timber can then be painted before work commences on the main windows. The interior will be detailed and lighting added at a later date.

Station Building

This is modelled on East Budleigh (South Devon), from plans drawn by Edward Peckham (also from the Railway Modeller). The two parts of the building has been constructed from 40thou plasticard and then clad with brick pasticard. A base 'brick-red' colour has been painted, followed by a wash for the mortar. The colour is not correct yet, so further colours will be dry-brushed until the desired effect is acheived. I will post more photos as construction progresses. Not even the oher members of the club have seen this building yet!

Please feel free to comment or ask any questions.

Richard

post-7854-059457800 1288620001_thumb.jpg

post-7854-046391200 1288620013_thumb.jpg

post-7854-090601700 1288620024_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi

We have been busy and made some progress on the layout.

Following a discussion at the club tonight and by overall approval, with now named the layout 'Tawbridge'.

Ray has been busy making the first three points, including the double slip which has been glued down along with one of the other points.

The photos give a couple of overall views, not easy to photograph very easy in the club room at the moment, but should give you an idea.

Also attached is a photo showing the underside of the board, with threaded plates screwed to inside of frame into which the jointing bolts are fitted.

post-7854-022656300 1288734865_thumb.jpg

post-7854-019848800 1288734881_thumb.jpg

post-7854-072781800 1288734895_thumb.jpg

post-7854-011574200 1288734948_thumb.jpg

Hi

We have been busy and made some progress on the layout.

Following a discussion at the club tonight and by overall approval, with now named the layout 'Tawbridge'.

Ray has been busy making the first three points, including the double slip which has been glued down along with one of the other points.

The photos give a couple of overall views, not easy to photograph very easy in the club room at the moment, but should give you an idea.

Also attached is a photo showing the underside of the board, with threaded plates screwed to inside of frame into which the jointing bolts are fitted.

Hi

Also there are brass dowels for elinment of the boards. The straight track is half made so it is flexiable when layed down, so you could glue down to the shape you like, then solder other rail on when glue has dryed with track gauges.

Hi All,

It is nice to see the name up on the header. The name was chosen because of the local river the Taw. Many years ago known as River Tawe. Also with a place between the village of Bishops Tawton and Chappleton station, known as Newbridge.

Thanks for putting up a picture of my span can "Blackmoor Vale" 21c123 and a 150 "Sprinter". Both regular visitors to the area.

The station building is based on East Budleigh in East Devon. We are also planning some shops (low relief).

Apart from the rolling stock, all of the layout is hand built. A new concept for some of us. Our other layout "Yeo Valley" has many off the shelf items.

Learning loads.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Looks a very interesting layout, lots of operation with somewhere to show all those loco we tend to accumulate.

I guess its a bit early for exhibition commitments, or will it be at next years Barnstaple Show?

All the best,

Dave.T

The Barnstaple MRC have commenced construction of a new exhibition layout, with an overall size 16’ x 2’, constructed from 4 off boards (softwood frame 3†deep with 9mm thick plywood top), incorporating folding legs and brass alignment dowels. The leg braces also fold up into the boards. All this designed to reduce the amount of parts being carried from transport to exhibition venue. The track will be ‘00’ finescale constructed from code 75 rail and copper clad sleepers. This is a change from previous layouts which have used Peco code 100 track previously. Two boards will then be packed face to face, with end packing boards, one of which will have casters so that the pair of boards can be up-ended and rolled along the ground to minimize carrying the boards. Also, front fold-down boards will be added to protect the open front during transportation, but will be used as display boards at exhibitions. Transportation to exhibitions can then be in two cars or a small van to minimize the costs. A lighting frame and facia board will also be constructed, but we have designed this yet, but will need to be light-weight and possibly fit inside the boards, again to reduce amount of parts to carry.

The layout will also be DCC, with points operated by DCC accessory decoders and these will be operated from a control panel with switches working through an encoder. Both the encoder and decoders will be constructed from MERG kits. We have not decided on which controllers to use at the moment and still discussing the merits of using either Bachmann Dynamis with a Pro-box to enable use of two or three handsets (a couple of club members use Dynamis) or may use NCE Power Cab units (one member recently starting using one of these and another member will be purchasing one), with the club purchasing one, along with multiple sockets along the layout so more than one handset can be used. Initially, locomotives and rolling stock will be members own (currently a mix of Southern steam, BR steam and Blue BR diesels) with the aim of running appropriate stock together, but being able to run different periods during an exhibition. A broad idea being to start in the morning with SR, changing to BR steam, adding a few green diesels and then finishing the day with BR blue diesels, spreading the change gradually throughout the day.

The track plan, as below, incorporates a small terminus station, goods yard and locomotive depot. The layout will be based in the Southern Region (buildings, signals etc), but will operate members’ own stock, although at exhibitions it is envisaged that locomotives will be matched with appropriate stock and that stock on layout at any given time is broadly from the same time period.

The track base (dense foam) has been glue using Copydex, track plan has been marked onto the foam and a start has been made on the point work.

We will add update photos and descriptions of construction techniques as we progress with construction, but welcome any comments / questions.

Hi All

I am running my railway on the NCE Power Cab system and I love it and it's 100 times better than the dynamis. The thing I had with the dynamis is I kept losing signal, my trains was running out of control. I would like us to go with NCE Power Cab system but it is down to the members

The track work is in progress, I have made two more points the third is nearly finished and a catch point, will ready to put down on tuesday.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Time for an update.

Ray has been busy making the points, only one left to make! Most of the points have now been laid, including a catch point (something rarely modelled), along with some of the 'half-track', and will be ready soon to solder in the second rail. Brian has been busy making lengths of half-track. Next on the list will be the turntable and we are currently looking at the options, with a trip to Warley next week may help find a suitable turntable. Attached photo showing some of the track work.

The windows have been glued into the station building, with one of the doors also added - just two more to add, then these can be painted. Still some more colouring to add to the brickwork to get the colour correct. Next will be the roof and then the canopy. Also, the steps, porch and platform have been made for the signal box. Next job to add the interior planking and then painting can commence before making the windows.

post-7854-006967400 1289647040_thumb.jpg

post-7854-079169700 1289647054_thumb.jpg

post-7854-041981600 1289647071_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Time for a small update.

Most of the track has now been laid and second rails soldered to the 'half-track'. All the points have been glued down. The turntable and connecting tracks to be added, when we have sourced a suitable turntable - the search continues.

Attached a couple of photos showing the track. Ray has also been making a couple of buffer stops, although the picture is not the best that it could be, was taken in a bit of a rush tonight before coming home, but should give an idea.

post-7854-065698800 1291153655_thumb.jpg

post-7854-022238100 1291153669_thumb.jpg

post-7854-048780900 1291153680_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Based on the use of foam and Copydex I take it that somebody in the team is an Iain Rice follower!

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure where the idea came for using the foam, but we do know a couple of people using foam. The foam was provided by one of our members. Reading several threads on RMWeb strongly recommends the use of Copydex to glue the track down, so we decided to follow this route. The ballast will also be glued with Copydex.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure where the idea came for using the foam, but we do know a couple of people using foam. The foam was provided by one of our members. Reading several threads on RMWeb strongly recommends the use of Copydex to glue the track down, so we decided to follow this route. The ballast will also be glued with Copydex.

I was interested because I've been reading Iain Rice's book on track building recently and he advocates strongly :D the use of foam rather than cork and copydex rather than PVA. The idea appears to be to keep the track bed flexible and reduce noise / vibration transfer to the boards. Finishing this off he also isn't keen on PVA and stone ballast....

• RMweb Gold

The idea appears to be to keep the track bed flexible and reduce noise / vibration transfer to the boards.

Yes, this is the major benefit from what I understand. Cork and PVA glues solid, so no flex.

Finishing this off he also isn't keen on PVA and stone ballast....

We will likely use either C&L or Green Scene ballast - both being made from crushed friut stones and then painted.

I take it that somebody in the team is an Iain Rice follower!

Hi Chris,

I had been wondering about how to do the base. However, Darren01 from Torrington 1956 had given this method a heads up. So it is Darren I have to thank as it runs a lot better.

Hope this helps.

As from the pictures. there is a spam can 34023 BV there and more will follow as I do love the Westcountry's Most certainly 34010 Sidmouth and 34045 Ottery St Mary as rebuilt's will run on the layout with sound and also 34005 Barnstaple and 34010 Sidmouth as spams when Blandford Forum comes out and gets renumbered.

Regards.

Chris

Archived