Tawbridge - a new 00 DCC layout

mudmagnet

Looks great, I do like watching a layout take form even if my own seems to get to track & bare boards then stops. biggrin.gif

I look forward to seeing Tawbridge in the 'flesh' so to speak. What rebuilt Bullied is posing for the camera? I don't have any rebuilds unfortunately still want to get one.

Cheers,

~ Matloughe

Hi Matloughe,

The said Bulleid is the rebuilt West Country "Sidmouth" 34010. From 1962 on. This one is a special on off with Fox plates and added sound. I do have a few WC's and will be naming more of "Sidmouth" though the ages. At the moment Hornby's "Wilton" is under the knife to be 34010, 1955 - 1959 as a spam can.

Hope to see you at the show and please do say hello to the staff on Saturday.

Chris

Hi All

Tawbridge will be at our exhibition Barnstaple M R C tomorrow 30th July as a work in progress. Along with Mudmagnet's Orchard Road, and Dave's layout Bridport

With many more layouts at

CHRIST CHURCH

Bear Street

Barnstaple

EX32 7BU

RAY70B

Just back from the show......

It has been an eventful day. Much interest from the public about the layout and the club.

A few little niggles found but as always with the first outings things are found.

The bolts that hold the layout together were used with the transportation boards, are too long for the job.

Mixture of stock and various couplings caused a little thinking (conversion to Sprat and Winkle)

All in all a good day.

• RMweb Gold

Well, we re-erected the layout in the club room, well Ray, Chris and Mac did - I arrived just as they finished off (great timing).

Anyway, thoughts and discussions turned to a few things that need to be resolved / finished -

1) Ballast the track

2) Tweak the way the cassettes / power clips in the fiddle yard works to improve reliability.

3) A name board and lights to be designed - we have a sketch of the how the name board will appear and Chris has gone off to produce the artwork - watch this space.

4) Fit a second socket on the front for the NCE Powercab so that we operate from the front as well and will give an opportunity at exhibitions to chat more easily with visitors.

The weathering on the buffer stops has been started and hopefully get these all finished next week and will then post photos.

We had some good comments and discussions at the recent first exhibition, so come away quite pleased with what we have achieved so far, but still plenty to do!

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Well the buffers have been painted and weathered. We had a visit tonight from Darren01, who has taken some photos, which will be posted.

Next, need to get the ballast and get that sorted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

We have not made much progress on Tawbridge in the last few weeks!

Ballasting still to be done - we need to get this first!

We have found a problem with one of the point motors on the double slip, which Ray has now sorted.

The motor / gearbox for the turntable has been ordered, so hopefully get that fitted shortly.

Ray was busy running his Bachmann 08, fitted with a SWD sound decoder - a bit of a squeeze getting it all in, but performs nicely.

Mudmagnet's class 37 has now been fitted with a decoder and was running up and down Tawbridge. The photos show it at the end of the turntable.

post-7854-0-93857300-1314738755.jpg

post-7854-0-41151700-1314738768.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Just a little update on progress.

Ray has fitted the motor / gearbox to the turntable and just needs to be wired up. Will post photos next week.

I have made a start on the station platform, using foambaord strips, which will be covered with cardboard or thin plywood. All the strips need to be glued together and will then be used as a template for cutting the platform surface. Again, photos to follow next week.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's about time that we had an update!

To be honest progress has been slow and tweaking a few things (changing the motor speed / gears on the turntable), we have finally commenced with the ballasting! Also, my fault for not getting the ballast!

We picked up the ballast from Green Scenes at the Taunton show - 4 different bags and were mixed in an old tub before applying. It was literary all-hands brushing the ballast into place and then glued with watered-down Copydex and now left to dry until next time. The photos were taken straight after gluing, so still 'white' with glue.

Application of glue, after the track has been sprayed with water with a little washing up liquid added.

post-7854-0-02123200-1319577274.jpg

The first part ballasted.

post-7854-0-95686300-1319577276.jpg

post-7854-0-77415500-1319577280.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All

We all have nearly finished the ballasting.Then we are going to do the inspection pits in the engine shed and the ash pits out side the engine shed.

Will post pic;s when done. Richard has stopped doing the station as we all been doing the ballasting, I think Richard will go back to the station when the ballasting is done.

I have made a start on the facia along the front of the boards.

RAY70B

This is looking great. I think the buffer stop are brilliant and track coming along nicely.

I too am about to start a new project so have been following this with great interest.

The idea of using foam had never occurred to me. Can you tell me what it is, what one would ask for and where to get it. I was going to go down the usual route of cork but am loving this idea.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your comments.

The foam was 'obtained' by one of our members, but you could use camping mats (Milets or local camping store) for something very similar. C&L sell (I assume they still do) foam underlay as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been working on the water tank - I started the base several months ago, but didn't get much further. Finally, with an effort to finish off various started projects, I wanted to get this finished. Well not quite finished - still need the ladder (will use an etch-brass version), which will be added when the tank is glued in place on the layout. The tank is based upon the one from Swanage, but also typical of many tanks on LSWR / Sourthern lines.

post-7854-0-77027200-1323634104.jpg

Hi Richard,

It's looking lovely, you've certainly done a very nice job of it.

That stonework looks absolutely terrific, & it is certainly reminiscent of the old LSWR days.

Like Ray says, it'll be good to see it on the layout, & will be an ideal early Christmas present!

Ray & I have progressed the inspection pits & ash pits, so it's all coming together.

See you on Tuesday.

Cheers

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Mudmagnet,

That is a fantastic bit of scratch building.

Thanks.

One thing I forgot to mention was that the outlet pipe will go somewhere when 'planted' on the layout. I'm not sure whether this will have a hose fitted or additional pipe work disappearing under ground to a water outlet elsewhere.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not much progress to report on the layout, but I am nearing completion of the goods shed. This is based upon the shed that stands at Braunton. This building was extended several years ago and used a youth club (not sure what it is used for now though), where i went to a couple of discos in my youth!

Still more to do - eg the roof and overhang over the rails. Weathering to follow when roof completed.

post-7854-0-54511600-1325963294.jpg

Rail-side view

post-7854-0-48654700-1325963298.jpg

Road loading side

Archived